Please, don't do this. Its really bad for your CPU.

Dequeant

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
So i guess it's pretty safe to say 4 volts is bad for a processor. Sad thing is, the OC wasn't really that high.

Bet he could have had 4ghz if he turned the fan on :roll:

Seen that before. It's bogus. I doubt very much that a Duron exploding could blow a hole through the motherboard, let alone blow a hole through the mobo and the sheet of 1/2 inch plywood below it. And, if you look at the slow-mo replay you can see the smoke come up from under the socket right before the chip blows out.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
All your questions will be answered once you watch this,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054

to the best of my knowledge this was faked, the motherboard is not on (if you look the fan is plugged into the motherboard, but it is not spinning), also the amount of heat required to make a duron explode like that would have produced light, and not just smoke (the core would at least have glowed). i think i even read an article about this once, (i think it was in the update the the article when THG fried an athlon, and tried to fry a P4 and P3) and AMD stated that it was faked because there is not enough voltage going through the proc to produce that much heat. so even if it really did explode it had to have had a "nobbled" PSU (plz dont quote me on that, im gonna look it up tho and see if i can find it)

i have burned socket A athlons myself (2 if you want to know exactly), they do not blow up. they do make alot of smoke and smell bad, but they do not blow up. (they can leave char marks on the surface below the motherboard..... that is if you let them sit there cuz you didnt notice it was burning, as well as the motherboard melting a bit). im also one of those idiots that has let small firecrackers explode on my hand, and that explosion does not look powerful enough to make that hole. it would likely have obliterated the entire CPU socket, and melted everything out to the ram sockets easily, if that was real.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Check around for the other video of the P4. The smoke comes from a fuse from a firecracker. Probably of the M60 variant, since it leaves a hole in the table.

If the processor was really that hot, taking the heatsink off with your bare hands would probably require some sort of medical attention within a couple of seconds.

As others have stated, the fan isn't on either.

Electronics don't explode like that. They might burn, smoke or more likely just die...but things wouldn't happen so fast that the processor just explodes.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
alas i cannot find the quote im looking for. but just for good reading

http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/17/hot_spot/index.html

http://www.tgdaily.com/2001/10/29/cooling_off/index.html

but as others have stated, this is in almost complete certainty faked, and not real. i agree you would have burned yourself touching that heastink, socket A's are hot, bested only by P4's, you would not have been able to touch that heatsink, the motherboard would be melted, especially the socket, and the processor would not have exploded.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Total bogus!!! It's funny how they always make these things with the AMD chips. Great marketing for them. :wink: They should sue, but who?

After the Tom's video these things have been around everywhere. Basically the reason more people ask me to build them more expensive yet worse performing Intel rigs (prior to core 2).

Wish this would stop but what are the odds?

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Also, at the end, when they're looking at the broken processor, you can see that the core is not even damaged, it's still all shiny and blue like it should be. If it had actually overheated, then the top would be all black and charred, and it wouldn't have esploded, especially upwards, as the core is on the top, and that's where all the heat is coming from.

fake, fake, fake.

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
OTOH, I have had a cpu literally explode on me once.

The power supply dead-shorted to 120V.

Everything connected to the PSU with thinner than 16 gauge wire glowed bright red and the insulation evaporated. 2 seconds later, it was definately "toast". ;)

There was a high pitched whine and a "loud "pop" from the CPU as well and the fan got blown off/up about 1/4 inch.(still connected sort of to the board - explosion vented out the path of least resitance once the mount on one side failed(old style Intel CPU fan).

"eeeeeee"(wires glowing like ligthbulb filaments) POP! FUP!(times about 8 as every cap exploded at once) ssssss(sound of everything on the board erupting in smoke/starting to melt.

Only happened once in nearly 20 years of futzing with old computers. But yeah, to do that, the thing would have had to short out to 120V. Oh - moral: Install a GFI outlet at your workbench. 8O