Ipaq backup software can't save it's own settings?

March 21, 2005 7:22:09 PM

Ipaq 2215
backup software version 1.1.0.6 by sprite software (came with the Ipaq)

I want to set my Ipaq to auto-backup weekly. I just ran some tests (because
it is so squirrelly to begin with).

I set it to save the backup file to the SD card (and I uncheck the SD card
so that it doesn't back up the SD card on the SD card as part of the backup)
I start the backup, and it backs up successfully.
It tells me to soft reset.(the following steps are true regardless of
whether I do a soft reset)
I close the software and re-open it.
It scans the file system, and /amazingly/, it has re-checked the "SD Card"
as part of what it wants to back up!!

Is it a "feature" of the backup software to reset it's user-defined settings
after a backup?

So my question is: are there any high quality freeware or shareware programs
that allow scheduled backups to the SD card that are capable of actually
saving user settings between backups?

I apologize for my frustrated tone, but this has been frustrating as heck. I
don't plan to upgrade to the latest version by the vendor who wrote the
existing software, because I don't know if they have fixed this since my
version, and I don't want to spend money on an upgrade on something that
didn't work properly to begin with. I'd rather give my patronage (and money,
if appropriate) to someone who can write functional software...

Thanks,
Keith
--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

In message <uHFvLwlLFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "KR" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:
> Ipaq 2215
> backup software version 1.1.0.6 by sprite software (came with the Ipaq)
>
> I want to set my Ipaq to auto-backup weekly. I just ran some tests (because
> it is so squirrelly to begin with).
>
> I set it to save the backup file to the SD card (and I uncheck the SD card
> so that it doesn't back up the SD card on the SD card as part of the backup)
> I start the backup, and it backs up successfully.
> It tells me to soft reset.(the following steps are true regardless of
> whether I do a soft reset)
> I close the software and re-open it.
> It scans the file system, and /amazingly/, it has re-checked the "SD Card"
> as part of what it wants to back up!!
>
> Is it a "feature" of the backup software to reset it's user-defined settings
> after a backup?
>
> So my question is: are there any high quality freeware or shareware programs
> that allow scheduled backups to the SD card that are capable of actually
> saving user settings between backups?
>
> I apologize for my frustrated tone, but this has been frustrating as heck.
> don't plan to upgrade to the latest version by the vendor who wrote the
> existing software, because I don't know if they have fixed this since my
> version, and I don't want to spend money on an upgrade on something that
> didn't work properly to begin with. I'd rather give my patronage (and money,
> if appropriate) to someone who can write functional software...
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
> --
> The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent
the
> thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
> own.

Keith,
I don't want to test this on my x50v as I haven't had to do a restore in the
4 months I've owned it, but I can tell you that I've used sprite backup on
my last 2 ppc's and it restored them perfectly. I also unchecked back up
storage card and after a restore it remained unchecked. A demo is available,
why not try it with that? Fwiw, I owned what I believe was the most unreliable
ppc ever made (imo), the E740. That thing would hard reset if the wind blew.
Sprite's software and daily backups was the only way I could trust that thing.
ymmv
hth,
Dean
!