cannot rename file cannot delete file.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 5, 2005 10:19:01 PM

I opened a FTP site to all, and had someone put a bunch of junk directories
on my ftp site.
When deleting, I get this error message:
"cannot rename file cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source disk."
I've exhaused all resources trying to delete this folder "tree".
Anyone have any suggestions?
--
David M. Hansberry
Anonymous

From a command prompt try;

del \\.\Drive:\directory\filename
(Note: the period between \\ and \)

Also

dir /x
and try deleting them using their 8.3 short names.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dhansberry" wrote:
|I opened a FTP site to all, and had someone put a bunch of junk directories
| on my ftp site.
| When deleting, I get this error message:
| "cannot rename file cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source disk."
| I've exhaused all resources trying to delete this folder "tree".
| Anyone have any suggestions?
| --
| David M. Hansberry
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:26:37 PM

It's a folder I'm trying to delete. No files, just a bunch of sub directories.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> From a command prompt try;
>
> del \\.\Drive:\directory\filename
> (Note: the period between \\ and \)
>
> Also
>
> dir /x
> and try deleting them using their 8.3 short names.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Dhansberry" wrote:
> |I opened a FTP site to all, and had someone put a bunch of junk directories
> | on my ftp site.
> | When deleting, I get this error message:
> | "cannot rename file cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source disk."
> | I've exhaused all resources trying to delete this folder "tree".
> | Anyone have any suggestions?
> | --
> | David M. Hansberry

April 5, 2005 11:50:40 PM

Makes no difference.

--

"Dhansberry" wrote:
| It's a folder I'm trying to delete. No files, just a bunch of sub
directories.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:57:21 PM

What attributes are on the folders? Can't you right-click & change them?

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:57:22 PM

I can change it, but when it tries to change the folders within, it says it
can't find them. They are named junk. Like ":[[bigmac scan]];"

"Crouchie1998" wrote:

> What attributes are on the folders? Can't you right-click & change them?
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:05:21 PM

Dhansberry wrote:
> I opened a FTP site to all, and had someone put a bunch of junk
> directories on my ftp site.
> When deleting, I get this error message:
> "cannot rename file cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source
> disk." I've exhaused all resources trying to delete this folder
> "tree".
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Can you ftp into it and delete them through that?

Andrew
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:05:22 PM

No, It won't delete. I've moved the folder out of the ftp site, and onto the
desktop of the server. It will move, but that's the only thing I can do with
it. It's having problems "finding" the folders to delete. I can rename the
top folder, but that's it. I can browse the folders in it (that are all junk
names...) but can't rename any of them. When I try, it says "can't find the
file/folder". I'm thinking this is going to be a chkdsk issue of some sort...

"Andrew Morton" wrote:

> Dhansberry wrote:
> > I opened a FTP site to all, and had someone put a bunch of junk
> > directories on my ftp site.
> > When deleting, I get this error message:
> > "cannot rename file cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source
> > disk." I've exhaused all resources trying to delete this folder
> > "tree".
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Can you ftp into it and delete them through that?
>
> Andrew

Anonymous
April 3, 2010 9:27:54 PM

Quote:

"Andrew Morton" wrote:

> Dhansberry wrote:
> > I opened a FTP site to all, and had someone put a bunch of junk
> > directories on my ftp site.
> > When deleting, I get this error message:
> > "cannot rename file cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source
> > disk." I've exhaused all resources trying to delete this folder
> > "tree".
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Can you ftp into it and delete them through that?
>
> Andrew

When you upload a file using PHP, it will mark the files as being owned by the Apache (or Fast-CGI) user. So when you log into the FTP as your user, you can't delete the files PHP has uploaded as they are owned by another user.

If you want to delete the files PHP has save you can delete them using PHP. You might be able to CHOWN the files (to your ftp user) using PHP so you can delete them using FTP.

Rename Multiple Files
!