My machine just committed suicide

Enendar24

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I built the computer about two months ago and it started off great. First time I turned it on it ran great and was running great for a long time. I started to get really weird problems when playing World of Warcraft, the video would freeze for 10 seconds or so and then the game would continue. Then shortly after that I was getting random restarts during game play and crashes. Turned off the auto-restart feature in windows and saw that the blue screen was saying that nv4_disp.dll was the issue. So after dicking around with drivers it seemed to fix things and the computer worked for a few days. Then the system started to randomly crash upon windows booting up. This lasted for a day and out of frustration I left the computer off for a day or two and decided to randomly try turning the system on again. After that day or two “break” it ran great again like new for another few weeks and then now I’m getting the same issues I encountered before but even worse.

My computer froze and I was forced to shut it off using the power button. When I went to turn it back on I got a long continuous beep. It didn’t sound like it was trying to send a POST beep error, just a really really long annoying beep. A friend of mine told me to unplug it and try resetting the bios. So I unplugged it and reset the bios as the manual said to. Now I no long get a beep or any sort of display. I plugged my power supply into another computer at home and that computer booted up perfectly fine. So I don’t think it’s the power supply. What is also weird is that I had an external USB wireless adapter plugged in at the time and now it won’t work in any computer. I had this adapter for at least a year now and it has been used in several system before this and worked in all of them and now windows says that it wont work. My computer killed it some how.

Please help, I have no clue what is wrong! :cry: Thank you

System Specs:
Intel E6400
Asus nForce 590 SLI (I know I should have waited for the 680)
2GBs Crucial DDR667
320GB Seagate Sata
BFG nVidia 7600GT
Hiper Type-R 580Watt PSU

Enendar24

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Please help? Today a friend and I are going to be trying to swap out as many parts as we can to see if we can find a hardware malfunction but if you have any advice or ideas please let me know.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Sounds like your on the right track with swapping parts, it's exactly what I was going to suggest. Report back with your findings and good luck.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I second that. It sounds like a vid card. Now... @ the OP, you said the BSOD mentioned "nv4_disp.dll" ? That's an nVidia driver... for display... did you try updating the drivers for the card?