changing the local admin password

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Peeps,

I have a windows 2000 machine, but noone knows what the local admin password
is and the machine is not a memeber of our domain...is there a way to change
the local admin password without logging on as admin (or anyone else for
that matter)

TIA

"ade" <noone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Peeps,
>
> I have a windows 2000 machine, but noone knows what the local admin
password
> is and the machine is not a memeber of our domain...is there a way to
change
> the local admin password without logging on as admin (or anyone else for
> that matter)
>
> TIA

You question is equivalent to "Is there a way to opening
the master safe at the bank without having the manager's
key?". The answer is no, because if there was then there
would be no point in the manager having the master key.

.. . . unless you're prepared to use a jackhammer to break
down the wall. Here is one:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

After you've cracked it, consider doing something about
work documentation. If your IT department builds PCs
without recording the master passwords then there is
some obvious scope for improvement.