Deleting files and directories that are marked 'in use'

On my Windows 2000 Server some code was run that has somehow left some files
and directories marked as 'in use' which is preventing me from removing
them. Any thoughts on what I can do to get rid of these bad files and
directories? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about deleting files directories marked

    "Curt J Raddatz" <curtraddatz@community.nospam> wrote in message
    > On my Windows 2000 Server some code was run that has somehow left some
    files
    > and directories marked as 'in use' which is preventing me from removing
    > them. Any thoughts on what I can do to get rid of these bad files and
    > directories? Thanks.

    Press F8 during the early boot phase, select "Safe Mode",
    then delete these files and folders.

    Thanks for the reply but there's a detail that will prevent that from
    working. The server is in Florida (where my ISP is) and I'm in New Jersey
    and the only access I have is via Terminal Services. I was hoping for some
    'tool' that would do this while the server is running normally. If I don't
    find such a thing I'll probably try to get my ISP to do it the way you
    suggested.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Curt J Raddatz" <curtraddatz@community.nospam> wrote in message
    > > On my Windows 2000 Server some code was run that has somehow left some
    > files
    > > and directories marked as 'in use' which is preventing me from removing
    > > them. Any thoughts on what I can do to get rid of these bad files and
    > > directories? Thanks.
    > >

    > Press F8 during the early boot phase, select "Safe Mode",
    > then delete these files and folders.

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows