No volume control

My volume icon and volume controls have just disappeared.
If I go into Control Panel and click the box to show the volume control on
the task bar, I get a message saying that I have to install the sound again
in 'Add/Remove Programs.
I cannot see anything to do with sound or media in Add/Remove Programs.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about volume control

    Hi BenH,

    To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
    XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
    do this, follow these steps:

    Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:

    X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
    CD \I386

    Then use the expand command: expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32

    Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
    Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
    Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
    CD".

    In case you are using a OEM version of Windows XP, Windows XP setup files
    may be located in the hard drive, check the below location:

    C:\i386

    or

    C:\Windows\i386

    HTH
    Meena

    "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    > My volume icon and volume controls have just disappeared.
    > If I go into Control Panel and click the box to show the volume control on
    > the task bar, I get a message saying that I have to install the sound
    again
    > in 'Add/Remove Programs.
    > I cannot see anything to do with sound or media in Add/Remove Programs.
    > Can anyone help?
    > Thanks

    Meena,
    You are a champion.
    It worked without an hitch.
    Thank you

    "Meena" <SAYNO2SPAM.emailmeena@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi BenH,
    >
    > To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
    > XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
    > do this, follow these steps:
    >
    > Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:
    >
    > X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
    > CD \I386
    >
    > Then use the expand command: expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    >
    > Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
    > Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
    > Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
    > CD".
    >
    > In case you are using a OEM version of Windows XP, Windows XP setup files
    > may be located in the hard drive, check the below location:
    >
    > C:\i386
    >
    > or
    >
    > C:\Windows\i386
    >
    > HTH
    > Meena
    >

    > "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >> My volume icon and volume controls have just disappeared.
    >> If I go into Control Panel and click the box to show the volume control
    >> on
    >> the task bar, I get a message saying that I have to install the sound
    > again
    >> in 'Add/Remove Programs.
    >> I cannot see anything to do with sound or media in Add/Remove Programs.
    >> Can anyone help?
    >> Thanks

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP