My volume icon and volume controls have just disappeared.
If I go into Control Panel and click the box to show the volume control on
the task bar, I get a message saying that I have to install the sound again
in 'Add/Remove Programs.
I cannot see anything to do with sound or media in Add/Remove Programs.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Hi BenH,

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
do this, follow these steps:

Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:

X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
CD \I386

Then use the expand command: expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32

Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
CD".

In case you are using a OEM version of Windows XP, Windows XP setup files
may be located in the hard drive, check the below location:

C:\i386

or

C:\Windows\i386

HTH
Meena

"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
> My volume icon and volume controls have just disappeared.
> If I go into Control Panel and click the box to show the volume control on
> the task bar, I get a message saying that I have to install the sound
again
> in 'Add/Remove Programs.
> I cannot see anything to do with sound or media in Add/Remove Programs.
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks

Meena,
You are a champion.
It worked without an hitch.
Thank you

"Meena" <SAYNO2SPAM.emailmeena@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi BenH,
>
> To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
> XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
> do this, follow these steps:
>
> Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:
>
> X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
> CD \I386
>
> Then use the expand command: expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32
>
> Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
> Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
> Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
> CD".
>
> In case you are using a OEM version of Windows XP, Windows XP setup files
> may be located in the hard drive, check the below location:
>
> C:\i386
>
> or
>
> C:\Windows\i386
>
> HTH
> Meena
>

> "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>> My volume icon and volume controls have just disappeared.
>> If I go into Control Panel and click the box to show the volume control
>> on
>> the task bar, I get a message saying that I have to install the sound
> again
>> in 'Add/Remove Programs.
>> I cannot see anything to do with sound or media in Add/Remove Programs.
>> Can anyone help?
>> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS