Which one: New HD or GPU?

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2006 12:53:47 AM

Looking for a little advice guys. I currently have the following system:

Gigabyte K8N Ultra 9
AMD 4600+
XFX 6600GT
WD 200 GB IDE HD

This system is my gaming/general use system. Which do you think would improve my performance more, a card like a 7900GS or a Raptor HD? I know right now the HD is a major bottleneck due to the old interface. I can get either one for about the same price. What do you think?

More about : gpu

December 21, 2006 1:40:35 AM

Quote:
Looking for a little advice guys. I currently have the following system:

Gigabyte K8N Ultra 9
AMD 4600+
XFX 6600GT
WD 200 GB IDE HD

This system is my gaming/general use system. Which do you think would improve my performance more, a card like a 7900GS or a Raptor HD? I know right now the HD is a major bottleneck due to the old interface. I can get either one for about the same price. What do you think?

i personally from experience find gpus to be the most satisfying of upgrades. thats generally when you REALLY see a big difference. yeah, a raptor would be sweet, but i don't think the *harm* from your current hdd would outweigh the benefit of a new graphics card. my personal opinion. plus, as raptors are kinda small, and games are kinda big, you'd probably wanna keep your current hdd also, and then you'd have the whole loading-off-the-bigger-slower-hdd dealie... me say graphics upgrade.
December 21, 2006 1:50:21 AM

Hands down, no question, unequivocally, without a doubt: GPU

Did I mention the GPU is a better upgrade?

GPU
Related resources
December 21, 2006 1:53:53 AM

thats two votes for GPU :D 
December 21, 2006 2:01:59 AM

I'd trust these guys on the GPU satisfaction. For games, that's the ticket.

If you only played an occasional old game over and over, and mostly did other stuff, lots of switching between programs etc, but no intense graphic new games, then the new hard drive would be a nice sensation. Especially if you started capturing TV for timeshifting, storing the video on the old hard drive.
Anonymous
December 21, 2006 2:03:40 AM

Raptors slow down in speed once you add data to them. So GPU defienatly.

Get an EVGA GPU though, then you can use their Step-Up Program when you upgrade to D10 cards, within 90 days.
!