Win98 re-install problems

Dukebot

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I just re-installed Win98 on my P3 800 system and while I was installing it the cd-rom drives have swapped around letter names and i was wondering how to make my D:, E: and vice versa. Plus in the start menu is there anyway of getting rid of the log off user button there?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Right click on My Computer, the click "Properties", then click on the Device Manager tab, and click on the + beside the CD ROM icon. As it explodes the tree you will see your CD ROM drive, double click on you CD ROM icon. Now click on the tab that says "Settings" in here you can asign your drive letter to start and end with the same letter. Click Apply/Ok, and your system will need to reboot to make changes.

You have the log off user because you are probably using "Microsoft Client" in Network Neighbohood. I think if you change it to "Microsoft Family Logon" this will eliminate this. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

But to get to this, right click on Network Neighborhood, then click on "Properties" you will see the drop-down box to make the change. If the choice isn't there you will have to click the "Add" button to add this protocol. Make sure you have you Win98 disk available because after you click "OK" it will ask for it. Then you will be prompted yto reboot for changes to be made.

Recommendation: Copy the Win98 folder on your Win98 CD ROM to you C: drive and you will never have to scramble for that disk again when prompted.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For switching the cd-rom drives letters you will need to go into control panel>system>device manager choose cd-rom drives then highlight the drive. Click properties down at the bottom of the screen. Then you will have another screen with options for changing the letters. You probably will need to move one to an higher letter to free the letters you would like to use. You will need to reboot after the letter changes.

On the logon screen at the beginning of Windows, there is a small unsupported program on the Win98 disk called Tweakui (beleive there is a newer version on MS web site). Follow instructions for installing which is simple. This will place a folder in control panel which will give you a menu of several options. One of them being Logon and you just put your name and password (if any) and it will fill in all the logon information. The only time this does not work is sometimes after a crash and reboot but will work under normal conditions.