service pack 1a

January 16, 2005 12:31:02 AM

Hello,

I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ". When
follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express install
" and
said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link, it
display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.

But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and will
take
90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.

Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
window xp home edition.

Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".

Thanks.

More about : service pack

January 16, 2005 1:14:21 AM

Just install SP2 and forget 1a.

"service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ". When
> follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
> install
> " and
> said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link,
> it
> display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
>
> But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
> will
> take
> 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
>
> Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
> window xp home edition.
>
> Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:36:40 AM

SP2 has replaced SP1 and SP1a since it includes all previous updates.

"service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ". When
> follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
> install
> " and
> said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link,
> it
> display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
>
> But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
> will
> take
> 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
>
> Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
> window xp home edition.
>
> Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
>
> Thanks.
Related resources
January 16, 2005 4:40:57 AM

"service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ".
> When
> follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
> install
> " and
> said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the
> link, it
> display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
>
> But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB,
> and will
> take
> 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
>
> Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a "
> for
> window xp home edition.
>
> Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".

In the future and when referring to some URL or page, please include the
address for the URL or page that you already tried so we don't have to
go hunting down what you already know. Below is a link that I found for
WinXP SP-1a:

This is the *network* install and will download the entire 129MB and
then you run its setup. If you want to use the express install (a small
setup.exe program gets downloaded that then figures out how much to
download thereafter), use:

Hold down the Ctrl key when you click the Download button. Microsoft
loves popups and apparently this download process requires a popup. If
you have a popup blocker active, the download script doesn't run. Most
popup blockers are temporarily disabled if you hold down the Ctrl key
when clicking on a link in a page.

No, I will not be sending you e-mail. If you have the time to post here
then you have the time to return here to check for replies. Note my
signature. Someone else might have the same problem and would like to
look it up but they won't see the thread if you take it offline via
e-mail. Post here, read here.

E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)
January 16, 2005 2:42:11 PM

Hope you guys spoon fed him with an e-mail too.. the chances of him
returning to this thread are zero or less..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Vanguard" <see_signature> wrote in message
> "service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ".
>> When
>> follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
>> install
>> " and
>> said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link,
>> it
>> display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
>>
>> But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
>> will
>> take
>> 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
>>
>> Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
>> window xp home edition.
>>
>> Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
>

> In the future and when referring to some URL or page, please include the
> address for the URL or page that you already tried so we don't have to go
> hunting down what you already know. Below is a link that I found for
> WinXP SP-1a:

> This is the *network* install and will download the entire 129MB and then
> you run its setup. If you want to use the express install (a small
> setup.exe program gets downloaded that then figures out how much to
> download thereafter), use:

> Hold down the Ctrl key when you click the Download button. Microsoft
> loves popups and apparently this download process requires a popup. If
> you have a popup blocker active, the download script doesn't run. Most
> popup blockers are temporarily disabled if you hold down the Ctrl key when
> clicking on a link in a page.
>
> No, I will not be sending you e-mail. If you have the time to post here
> then you have the time to return here to check for replies. Note my
> signature. Someone else might have the same problem and would like to
> look it up but they won't see the thread if you take it offline via
> e-mail. Post here, read here.

> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
> E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

January 16, 2005 3:58:45 PM

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o z7HSp%23%23EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hope you guys spoon fed him with an e-mail too.. the chances of him
> returning to this thread are zero or less..

<rant>

I participate in the newsgroups and that's is where I continue the
discussion. I don't take it offline unless it would be something
harmful, like disclosing how to easily corrupt the registry or otherwise
render the OS or an application useless or destructive. I don't
participate in sensitive newsgroups, like rape, whistleblowing, warez,
cracking, or such. It is rare that any discussion in which I
participate is so sensitive that it must be taken offline via e-mail, so
rare, in fact, that I don't recall having to take a discussion offline.

I have no inclination to actively reveal my true e-mail address to an
unknown recipient who might be a spammer posing as a user asking a
question (i.e., they aren't going to read or harvest the replies but
they'll get it if you e-mail them direct from their phishing post).
Spammers would much prefer YOU give them a usable e-mail address than
have to harvest a bunch of them where many are invalid, missing, or
munged. I have no desire to make it easy for the phishing spammer. The
guy had enough wherewithal to figure out how to post here, so he has the
wherewithal to read here. The OP should expend *some* effort to acquire
the resolution; otherwise, they shouldn't bother to post in the first
place. This is venue in which they requested help.

The OP can request. I can still say no. It's still my choice, just
like it's their choice not to revisit here to check for answers. Most
excuses don't wash as to why they demand to take the discussion offline
via e-mail. "I'm too busy." Uh huh, but not apparently too busy to
read all the e-mailed replies. How much of a time differential is there
between reading the e-mails and revisiting the newsgroup? If the poster
doesn't have time or willingness to expend some effort to review the
possible solutions for THEIR problem, why did they bother to expend the
effort to post? "I don't know how to use usenet." Then how'd they
manage to submit their post? "My newsfeed is unreliable." Then get a
different one, like Teranews for free ($3.95 one-time signup fee), or
use a webnews-for-dummies interface (Google Groups, Microsoft CDO), or
use a free NNTP server, like individual.net (text-only, no attachments)
or msnews.microsoft.com for Microsoft topics. "Messages offering
thanks, jibes, or congratulations should not waste space on the
newsgroups server, so send those by e-mail". I don't need applause;
however, a return by the OP indicating if a solution worked or not may
help others that search on the same problem (did it solve their problem,
did it meet their need, was it applicable, was there closure).

If here is where they post then here is where I reply. Personally I am
not into spoon-feeding lazy children (which is not necessarily measured
by age). Oooh, aren't I cantankerous. If you have the compunction to
spoon-feed them, go for it and enjoy.

http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?category=etiquette&fid=...

http://www.newbie.net/tgos/newbie/rules.html, Usenet Guidelines, point
#2.
Share! My replies rarely need to be privatized and, of course,
everything I say is of interest to the newsgroups. (SPLAT! I just blew
up from a super-inflated ego.)

</rant>
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 6:45:27 PM

.... passes Vanguard a fresh coffee and pack of cigarettes.. download lighter
from www.ronson_firstime_everytime.com

--

> [...]
> jibes, or congratulations should not waste space on the newsgroups server,
> so send those by e-mail". I don't need applause; however, a return by the
> OP indicating if a solution worked or not may help others that search on
> the same problem (did it solve their problem, did it meet their need, was
> it applicable, was there closure).
>
> If here is where they post then here is where I reply. Personally I am
> not into spoon-feeding lazy children (which is not necessarily measured by
> age). Oooh, aren't I cantankerous. If you have the compunction to
> spoon-feed them, go for it and enjoy.
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?category=etiquette&fid=...
>
> http://www.newbie.net/tgos/newbie/rules.html, Usenet Guidelines, point #2.
> Share! My replies rarely need to be privatized and, of course, everything
> I say is of interest to the newsgroups. (SPLAT! I just blew up from a

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:35:01 PM

"Jerry" wrote:

> Just install SP2 and forget 1a.
>
> "service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ". When
> > follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
> > install
> > " and
> > said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link,
> > it
> > display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
> >
> > But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
> > will
> > take
> > 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
> >
> > Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
> > window xp home edition.
> >
> > Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:37:13 PM

Vanguard wrote:
> "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:o z7HSp%23%23EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>> Hope you guys spoon fed him with an e-mail too.. the chances of him
>> returning to this thread are zero or less..
>

> <rant>
>
> I participate in the newsgroups and that's is where I continue the
> discussion. I don't take it offline unless it would be something
> harmful, like disclosing how to easily corrupt the registry or otherwise
> render the OS or an application useless or destructive. I don't
> participate in sensitive newsgroups, like rape, whistleblowing, warez,
> cracking, or such. It is rare that any discussion in which I
> participate is so sensitive that it must be taken offline via e-mail, so
> rare, in fact, that I don't recall having to take a discussion offline.
>
> I have no inclination to actively reveal my true e-mail address to an
> unknown recipient who might be a spammer posing as a user asking a
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:43:03 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your very sincere reply. In fact, after I posted my problem, I
did some
research in microsoft and followed the path suggested in the support link and
downloaded the updates and installed them just few hours ago. But, I am
surprised, why the system info did not display the service pack id. Also,
FYI, I noticed the sp2 link, but I was afraid to install without the previous
service packs. I could not find in the knowledge base, whether sp2 replaces
the earlier sps. Because of all these doubts, I posted this.

It looks some people were so obnoxioux about this problem. May be this is the
first time ever used this discussion group, I did not know that I should not
use
my e-mail. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks again for your note..

"Jerry" wrote:

> Just install SP2 and forget 1a.
>
> "service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ". When
> > follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
> > install
> > " and
> > said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link,
> > it
> > display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
> >
> > But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
> > will
> > take
> > 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
> >
> > Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
> > window xp home edition.
> >
> > Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:47:03 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. In fact, after I posted this problem, I did find
the link in the microsoft support and followed the link and downloaded and
installed. But, my system info did not display the service pack id. This
bothers
me, whether I installed the right pack or not. I also noticed the sp2, but I
was
afraid to install before the previous sps are installed in the pc. I am
using this
discussion group for the first time, so I did not know that I must not
use my e-mail address. I think this caused others to have a low opinion on
the situation.

Any how, I appreciate your immediate response.

Thanks again.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> SP2 has replaced SP1 and SP1a since it includes all previous updates.

> "service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ". When
> > follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
> > install
> > " and
> > said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the link,
> > it
> > display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
> >
> > But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
> > will
> > take
> > 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
> >
> > Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a " for
> > window xp home edition.
> >
> > Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
> >
> > Thanks.

January 16, 2005 9:31:55 PM

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o 8bEWxA$EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> ... passes Vanguard a fresh coffee and pack of cigarettes.. download
> lighter from www.ronson_firstime_everytime.com

Caffeine and nicotine? You trying to make me even more tense? :-o
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:12:56 PM

You can install SP2 - it includes all previous SP's (probably included no
doubt SP1a (whatever that is....)
"Hello," <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your very sincere reply. In fact, after I posted my problem, I
> did some
> research in microsoft and followed the path suggested in the support link
> and
> downloaded the updates and installed them just few hours ago. But, I am
> surprised, why the system info did not display the service pack id. Also,
> FYI, I noticed the sp2 link, but I was afraid to install without the
> previous
> service packs. I could not find in the knowledge base, whether sp2
> replaces
> the earlier sps. Because of all these doubts, I posted this.
>
> It looks some people were so obnoxioux about this problem. May be this is
> the
> first time ever used this discussion group, I did not know that I should
> not
> use
> my e-mail. Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Thanks again for your note..
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Just install SP2 and forget 1a.
>>
>> "service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have trouble finding service pack 1a in " support for windows xp ".
>> > When
>> > follow the path to look for service pack 1a, it led me to " express
>> > install
>> > " and
>> > said, click on the link below to down load, but, if I click on the
>> > link,
>> > it
>> > display a welcome screen for windows update, but nothing happens.
>> >
>> > But, the description on the previous page said, it is of size 30MB, and
>> > will
>> > take
>> > 90 mins approx. But, when I click on the link nothing happens.
>> >
>> > Can someone please let me know, where to find and down this " sp 1a "
>> > for
>> > window xp home edition.
>> >
>> > Please send me a note to my e-mail " sres32@juno.com ".
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:12:57 PM

Thanks for your note. My pc has xp home edition. Micrososft website said,
somewhere, user must have earlier service packs before sp2 is installed.
My pc did not have any of the earlier srvice packs. That is why I was afraid
install sp2, thinking that, it may crash my pc.

Thanks again for your note.

"Andrew Murray" wrote:

> You can install SP2 - it includes all previous SP's (probably included no
> doubt SP1a (whatever that is....)
> "Hello," <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks for your very sincere reply. In fact, after I posted my problem, I
> > did some
> > research in microsoft and followed the path suggested in the support link
> > and
> > downloaded the updates and installed them just few hours ago. But, I am
> > surprised, why the system info did not display the service pack id. Also,
> > FYI, I noticed the sp2 link, but I was afraid to install without the
> > previous
> > service packs. I could not find in the knowledge base, whether sp2
> > replaces
> > the earlier sps. Because of all these doubts, I posted this.
> >
> > It looks some people were so obnoxioux about this problem. May be this is
> > the
> > first time ever used this discussion group, I did not know that I should
> > not
> > use
> > my e-mail. Sorry for the inconvenience.
> >
> > Thanks again for your note..
> >
> > "Jerry" wrote:
> >
> >> Just install SP2 and forget 1a.
> >>
> >> "service pack 1a" <service pack 1a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:D 0C86B0E-EE7D-4F77-AB81-793D91B4A8B6@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:12:58 PM

In news:B5114D3C-1889-4AA4-9902-2FD5F3783DA7@microsoft.com,
Hello, <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thanks for your note. My pc has xp home edition. Micrososft
> website
> said, somewhere, user must have earlier service packs before
> sp2 is
> installed.

Just to affirm what Andrew correctly says below, the above is not
corect. If you saw such a web site, almost certainly you just
read it wrong.

And for Andrew, asking what SP1a is, it was a re-release of SP1,
with the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine removed (by court order,
Microsoft was prevented from distributing it).

Please reply to the newsgroup

> My pc did not have any of the earlier srvice packs. That is why
> I was
> afraid to
> install sp2, thinking that, it may crash my pc.
>
> Thanks again for your note.
>
> "Andrew Murray" wrote:
>
>> You can install SP2 - it includes all previous SP's (probably
>> included no doubt SP1a (whatever that is....)
>> "Hello," <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your very sincere reply. In fact, after I posted
>> > my
>> > problem, I did some
>> > research in microsoft and followed the path suggested in the
>> > support link and
>> > downloaded the updates and installed them just few hours
>> > ago. But,
>> > I am surprised, why the system info did not display the
>> > service
>> > pack id. Also, FYI, I noticed the sp2 link, but I was afraid
>> > install without the previous
>> > service packs. I could not find in the knowledge base,
>> > whether sp2
>> > replaces
>> > the earlier sps. Because of all these doubts, I posted this.
>> >
>> > It looks some people were so obnoxioux about this problem.
>> > May be
>> > this is the
>> > first time ever used this discussion group, I did not know
>> > that I
>> > should not
>> > use
>> > my e-mail. Sorry for the inconvenience.
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your note..

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:03:31 PM

news:o caZQoM$EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:B5114D3C-1889-4AA4-9902-2FD5F3783DA7@microsoft.com,
> Hello, <Hello@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> Thanks for your note. My pc has xp home edition. Micrososft website
>> said, somewhere, user must have earlier service packs before sp2 is
>> installed.
>

> Just to affirm what Andrew correctly says below, the above is not corect.
> If you saw such a web site, almost certainly you just read it wrong.
>
> And for Andrew, asking what SP1a is, it was a re-release of SP1, with the
> Microsoft Java Virtual Machine removed (by court order, Microsoft was
> prevented from distributing it).

> Please reply to the newsgroup

SP1 included MS Java. It was quickly followed by SP1a, which did not.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks for the note.