limitation : File size and total number of files in NTFS

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 6, 2005 10:17:03 PM

can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into the
folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?

How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?
April 6, 2005 10:41:20 PM

Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters. However, there are
limitations to the maximum size of a volume, such as volume tables. By
industry standards, volume tables are limited to 232 sectors.

Sector size, another limitation, is typically 512 bytes. While sector sizes
might increase in the future, the current size puts a limit on a single
volume of 2 terabytes (232 * 512 bytes, or 241 bytes). For now, 2 terabytes
is considered the practical limit for both physical and logical volumes
using NTFS.

Table 17.5 lists NTFS size limits.

Table 17.5 NTFS Size Limits

Description Limit
Ma
Maximum file size 264 - 1 KB (Theoretical)
244 - 64 KB (Implementation)

Maximum volume size 264 clusters (Theoretical)
232 clusters (Implementation)

Files per volume 232 - 1

So your limit is effectively 232 - 1 - 17 = max

"Kam" <Kam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into the
> folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?
>
> How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?
April 6, 2005 11:07:57 PM

Those should be 2 to the 32 power,,,,,,,,,, didn't come through as
typed.........
(not 232)

"Rob" <rob_brownNOSPAM@NOSPAMsofthome.net> wrote in message
> Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
> In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters. However, there
are
> limitations to the maximum size of a volume, such as volume tables. By
> industry standards, volume tables are limited to 232 sectors.
>
> Sector size, another limitation, is typically 512 bytes. While sector
sizes
> might increase in the future, the current size puts a limit on a single
> volume of 2 terabytes (232 * 512 bytes, or 241 bytes). For now, 2
terabytes
> is considered the practical limit for both physical and logical volumes
> using NTFS.
>
> Table 17.5 lists NTFS size limits.
>
> Table 17.5 NTFS Size Limits
>
> Description Limit
> Ma
> Maximum file size 264 - 1 KB (Theoretical)
> 244 - 64 KB (Implementation)
>
> Maximum volume size 264 clusters (Theoretical)
> 232 clusters (Implementation)
>
> Files per volume 232 - 1
>

> So your limit is effectively 232 - 1 - 17 = max
>

> "Kam" <Kam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into
the
> > folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?
> >
> > How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:38:15 PM

From the resource kit;

Table 3.10 FAT16 Size Limits

Description Limit
Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
Maximum volume size 4 GB
Files per volume 2^16

Maximum Sizes on FAT32 Volumes
The FAT32 volume must have at least 65,527 clusters. The maximum number of
clusters on a FAT32 volume is 4,177,918. Windows 2000 creates volumes up to
32 GB, but you can use larger volumes created by other operating systems
such as Windows 98. Table 3.11 lists FAT32 size limits.

Table 3.11 FAT32 Size Limits

Description Limit
Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
Maximum volume size 32 GB (This is due to the Windows 2000 format utility.
The maximum volume size that Windows 98 can create is 127.53 GB).
Files per volume Approximately 4 million

Important

Windows 2000 can format new FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB in size but can mount
larger volumes (for example, up to 127.53 GB and 4,177,918 clusters from a
volume formatted with the limits of Windows 98). It is possible to mount
volumes that exceed these limits, but doing so has not been tested and is
not recommended.

Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 2^32 clusters. However, even if
there were hardware available to supply a logical volume of that capacity,
there are other limitations to the maximum size of a volume.

One of these limitations is partition tables. By industry standards,
partition tables are limited to 2^32 sectors. Sector size, another
limitation, is a function of hardware and industry standards, and is
typically 512 bytes. While sector sizes might increase in the future, the
current size puts a limit on a single volume of 2 terabytes (2^32 * 512
bytes, or 241 bytes).

For now, 2 terabytes should be considered the practical limit for both
physical and logical volumes using NTFS.

The maximum number of files on an NTFS volume is 2^32 - 1. Table 3.12 lists
NTFS size limits.

Table 3.12 NTFS Size Limits

Description Limit
Maximum file size 264 bytes - 1 KB (On disk format)
244 bytes - 64 KB (Implementation)

Maximum volume size 264 allocation units (On disk format)
2^32 allocation units (Implementation)

Files per volume 2^32 - 1

--
Regards,