limitation : File size and total number of files in NTFS

can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into the
folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?

How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?
3 answers Last reply
More about limitation file size total number files ntfs

    Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
    In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters. However, there are
    limitations to the maximum size of a volume, such as volume tables. By
    industry standards, volume tables are limited to 232 sectors.

    Sector size, another limitation, is typically 512 bytes. While sector sizes
    might increase in the future, the current size puts a limit on a single
    volume of 2 terabytes (232 * 512 bytes, or 241 bytes). For now, 2 terabytes
    is considered the practical limit for both physical and logical volumes
    using NTFS.

    Table 17.5 lists NTFS size limits.

    Table 17.5 NTFS Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Ma
    Maximum file size 264 - 1 KB (Theoretical)
    244 - 64 KB (Implementation)

    Maximum volume size 264 clusters (Theoretical)
    232 clusters (Implementation)

    Files per volume 232 - 1

    So your limit is effectively 232 - 1 - 17 = max

    "Kam" <Kam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into the
    > folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?
    >
    > How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?

    Those should be 2 to the 32 power,,,,,,,,,, didn't come through as
    typed.........
    (not 232)

    "Rob" <rob_brownNOSPAM@NOSPAMsofthome.net> wrote in message
    > Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
    > In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters. However, there
    are
    > limitations to the maximum size of a volume, such as volume tables. By
    > industry standards, volume tables are limited to 232 sectors.
    >
    > Sector size, another limitation, is typically 512 bytes. While sector
    sizes
    > might increase in the future, the current size puts a limit on a single
    > volume of 2 terabytes (232 * 512 bytes, or 241 bytes). For now, 2
    terabytes
    > is considered the practical limit for both physical and logical volumes
    > using NTFS.
    >
    > Table 17.5 lists NTFS size limits.
    >
    > Table 17.5 NTFS Size Limits
    >
    > Description Limit
    > Ma
    > Maximum file size 264 - 1 KB (Theoretical)
    > 244 - 64 KB (Implementation)
    >
    > Maximum volume size 264 clusters (Theoretical)
    > 232 clusters (Implementation)
    >
    > Files per volume 232 - 1
    >

    > So your limit is effectively 232 - 1 - 17 = max
    >

    > "Kam" <Kam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into
    the
    > > folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?
    > >
    > > How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?

    From the resource kit;

    Table 3.10 FAT16 Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
    Maximum volume size 4 GB
    Files per volume 2^16

    Maximum Sizes on FAT32 Volumes
    The FAT32 volume must have at least 65,527 clusters. The maximum number of
    clusters on a FAT32 volume is 4,177,918. Windows 2000 creates volumes up to
    32 GB, but you can use larger volumes created by other operating systems
    such as Windows 98. Table 3.11 lists FAT32 size limits.

    Table 3.11 FAT32 Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
    Maximum volume size 32 GB (This is due to the Windows 2000 format utility.
    The maximum volume size that Windows 98 can create is 127.53 GB).
    Files per volume Approximately 4 million

    Important

    Windows 2000 can format new FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB in size but can mount
    larger volumes (for example, up to 127.53 GB and 4,177,918 clusters from a
    volume formatted with the limits of Windows 98). It is possible to mount
    volumes that exceed these limits, but doing so has not been tested and is
    not recommended.

    Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
    In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 2^32 clusters. However, even if
    there were hardware available to supply a logical volume of that capacity,
    there are other limitations to the maximum size of a volume.

    One of these limitations is partition tables. By industry standards,
    partition tables are limited to 2^32 sectors. Sector size, another
    limitation, is a function of hardware and industry standards, and is
    typically 512 bytes. While sector sizes might increase in the future, the
    current size puts a limit on a single volume of 2 terabytes (2^32 * 512
    bytes, or 241 bytes).

    For now, 2 terabytes should be considered the practical limit for both
    physical and logical volumes using NTFS.

    The maximum number of files on an NTFS volume is 2^32 - 1. Table 3.12 lists
    NTFS size limits.

    Table 3.12 NTFS Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 264 bytes - 1 KB (On disk format)
    244 bytes - 64 KB (Implementation)

    Maximum volume size 264 allocation units (On disk format)
    2^32 allocation units (Implementation)

    Files per volume 2^32 - 1

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Kam" wrote:
    | can anyone help me to find the total number of files that can put into the
    | folder in Window 2000 Professional NTFS?
    |
    | How can I find all the limitation on NTFS?

File Size NTFS Microsoft Windows