Lavasoft Ad-Ware and NIS 2005 Firewall Help Needed

NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE Personal
WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It allows it to
connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to turn the firewall
completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in NIS Program Control. It
has Internet Access of Automatic and is in the category of General. I have
tried deleting it and then adding it back. What do I need to do or rule do I
need to add in order to get it to work?
7 answers Last reply
More about lavasoft ware 2005 firewall needed

    Mark Williams wrote:
    > NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
    > Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
    > allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
    > turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
    > NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
    > the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
    > back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
    > it to work?

    Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that related
    *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question is
    completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's a
    clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
    system.
    on salads.

    How Symantec Norton products became the much loved security solution that
    they appear to be is completely beyond me.. Symantec must be sending out
    subliminal waves that only the less well informed pick up.. either that or
    they fell in love with Peter Norton's big smile that appeared on all early
    Norton packaging.. :)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Mark Williams wrote:
    >> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
    >> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
    >> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
    >> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
    >> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
    >> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
    >> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
    >> it to work?
    >

    > Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
    > related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
    > is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's
    > a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
    > system.
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    > Mark Williams wrote:
    >> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
    >> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
    >> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
    >> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
    >> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
    >> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
    >> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
    >> it to work?
    >

    > Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
    > related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
    > is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's
    > a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
    > system.
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order to
    post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and talented
    people that have been able to help with an assortment of topics. I was
    hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is unfortunate that
    postings like yours will discourage many people out there from posting to
    newsgroups.

    Mark

    You consider the reply to be a little harsh, but it has to be said that the
    first place to go if you have a problem with a product is the manufacturer,
    in this case Symantec..

    The Symantec support site..
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html

    Click on 'access free online support'..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    >> Mark Williams wrote:
    >>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
    >>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
    >>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
    >>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
    >>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
    >>> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
    >>> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
    >>> it to work?
    >>

    >> Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
    >> related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
    >> is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's
    >> a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
    >> system.
    >> --
    >> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    >> on salads.
    >>

    > Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order
    > to post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and talented
    > people that have been able to help with an assortment of topics. I was
    > hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is unfortunate that
    > postings like yours will discourage many people out there from posting to
    > newsgroups.

    Unfortunately it is always where I start. I first spend time digging
    through their knowledge base. But it is amazing how little there is on the
    type of problems surfacing with NIS 2005. Then I send them an e-mail and
    wait. After the period of days, I get a response back from someone in
    India that has failed to comprehend the issue. I then Google search the
    web and then the newsgroups. I often note what newsgroups similar questions
    have surfaced in and were resolved. This leads me to finally seeking help
    in those newsgroup. Unfortunately by the time I get to posting, I have put
    a considerable amount of time in.

    If you have thoughts on how I can improve working through an issue, I am
    open to suggestions.

    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Mark
    >
    > You consider the reply to be a little harsh, but it has to be said that
    > the first place to go if you have a problem with a product is the
    > manufacturer, in this case Symantec..
    >
    > The Symantec support site..
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html
    >
    > Click on 'access free online support'..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
    >>> related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
    >>> is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications.
    >>> Here's a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the
    >>> operating system.
    >>> --
    >>> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    >>> on salads.
    >>>

    >> Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order
    >> to post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and
    >> talented people that have been able to help with an assortment of topics.
    >> I was hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is
    >> unfortunate that postings like yours will discourage many people out
    >> there from posting to newsgroups.

    I know what you mean about Viking, even though I do have an account with
    them when I was shopping for a multifunction machine I got one quite a
    bit cheaper than the price they wanted to charge.
    I wouldn't touch anything Norton, too many horror stories. I do have PM8
    but haven't even got around to installing on this XP box, I used it when
    I had my WinME machine and dual booted with XP.
    Joan

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Viking Direct (office supplies) use a similar tactic over here - their
    > website, brochures, leaflets and catalogues are plastered with the inanely
    > grinning visage of Ian Helston, the CEO even though he's now retired. I once
    > wrote to him to complain about the way customer services had completely
    > ballsed up an order for some office chairs - the bastard never replied. He
    > has a kindly grandfatherly face, luring people into thinking that their
    > prices cannot be beaten (when, in reality, you can buy cheaper just about
    > anywhere - and they're very slow to keep up with new equipment models - the
    > Canon i9100 had been released nearly 2 years before they stocked the tanks -
    > at £10 a pop, twice as much as anywhere else). They keep up the pretence
    > with free gifts - "an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bahamas with every
    > million reams of Viking brand inkjet paper you buy!" that sort of thing -
    > obviously stupid people can't work out that the free gift costs about a
    > tenth of what you have to purchase to get it.

    Mark

    You are doing all that you can, it would seem.. my advice re. this issue is
    to dump NIS 2005, but I am aware that you have paid good money in good
    faith.. that or you will have to wait until 'Bombay Support' finally
    understand your problem..

    You can see from other posts in this thread that computer users are not too
    happy with Norton products, and it hasn't gone unnoticed that nobody has
    come forward to support NIS 2005.. Norton users to whom I have talked tell
    me that it has a friendly interface and that it is ok really.. when I ask
    why they have asked for my support re. a virus that appears to have made it
    through the net, they reiterate the part about the friendly interface and
    start quoting from the sales blurb.. the fact that Mrs Anne G of Kelowna,
    British Columbia, thinks that NIS is the best invention since the wheel
    means nothing at all..

    While it is true that there are many experts in many fields, these
    newsgroups deal with Microsoft products and problems essentially.. the MVPs
    that patrol them have access to huge amounts of MS support material, but are
    in the same position as you regarding third party software..

    I wish that I could send you to somewhere that could offer proper help in
    overcoming your problem, but all that I can do is suggest that you try
    another product.. whether you choose to go back to a computer store and
    purchase a retail product like McAfee (I use McAfee without problems, as do
    99% of those that I personally support) or download a freebie online is
    entirely your call..

    Good luck along whatever path you choose..

    --

    > Unfortunately it is always where I start. I first spend time digging
    > through their knowledge base. But it is amazing how little there is on
    > the type of problems surfacing with NIS 2005. Then I send them an e-mail
    > and wait. After the period of days, I get a response back from someone
    > in India that has failed to comprehend the issue. I then Google search
    > the web and then the newsgroups. I often note what newsgroups similar
    > questions have surfaced in and were resolved. This leads me to finally
    > seeking help in those newsgroup. Unfortunately by the time I get to
    > posting, I have put a considerable amount of time in.
    >
    > If you have thoughts on how I can improve working through an issue, I am
    > open to suggestions.
    >
    > "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> You consider the reply to be a little harsh, but it has to be said that
    >> the first place to go if you have a problem with a product is the
    >> manufacturer, in this case Symantec..
    >>
    >> The Symantec support site..
    >> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html
    >>
    >> Click on 'access free online support'..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order
    >>> to post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and
    >>> talented people that have been able to help with an assortment of
    >>> topics. I was hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is
    >>> unfortunate that postings like yours will discourage many people out
    >>> there from posting to newsgroups.

NIS Firewalls Internet Security Windows XP