Lavasoft Ad-Ware and NIS 2005 Firewall Help Needed

January 16, 2005 10:45:03 AM

NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE Personal
WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It allows it to
connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to turn the firewall
completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in NIS Program Control. It
has Internet Access of Automatic and is in the category of General. I have
tried deleting it and then adding it back. What do I need to do or rule do I
need to add in order to get it to work?
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:04:07 PM

Mark Williams wrote:
> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
> it to work?

Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that related
*specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question is
completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's a
clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
system.
on salads.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:04:08 PM

How Symantec Norton products became the much loved security solution that
they appear to be is completely beyond me.. Symantec must be sending out
subliminal waves that only the less well informed pick up.. either that or
they fell in love with Peter Norton's big smile that appeared on all early
Norton packaging.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Mark Williams wrote:
>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
>> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
>> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
>> it to work?
>

> Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
> related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
> is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's
> a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
> system.
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

January 17, 2005 8:08:06 AM

> Mark Williams wrote:
>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
>> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
>> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
>> it to work?
>

> Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
> related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
> is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's
> a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
> system.
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order to
post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and talented
people that have been able to help with an assortment of topics. I was
hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is unfortunate that
postings like yours will discourage many people out there from posting to
newsgroups.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:08:07 AM

Mark

You consider the reply to be a little harsh, but it has to be said that the
first place to go if you have a problem with a product is the manufacturer,
in this case Symantec..

The Symantec support site..
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html

Click on 'access free online support'..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>> Mark Williams wrote:
>>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
>>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
>>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
>>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
>>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
>>> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
>>> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
>>> it to work?
>>

>> Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
>> related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
>> is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications. Here's
>> a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the operating
>> system.
>> --
>> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
>> on salads.
>>

> Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order
> to post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and talented
> people that have been able to help with an assortment of topics. I was
> hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is unfortunate that
> postings like yours will discourage many people out there from posting to
> newsgroups.

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:32:37 AM

Unfortunately it is always where I start. I first spend time digging
through their knowledge base. But it is amazing how little there is on the
type of problems surfacing with NIS 2005. Then I send them an e-mail and
wait. After the period of days, I get a response back from someone in
India that has failed to comprehend the issue. I then Google search the
web and then the newsgroups. I often note what newsgroups similar questions
have surfaced in and were resolved. This leads me to finally seeking help
in those newsgroup. Unfortunately by the time I get to posting, I have put
a considerable amount of time in.

If you have thoughts on how I can improve working through an issue, I am
open to suggestions.

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Mark
>
> You consider the reply to be a little harsh, but it has to be said that
> the first place to go if you have a problem with a product is the
> manufacturer, in this case Symantec..
>
> The Symantec support site..
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html
>
> Click on 'access free online support'..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Really? Well, gee, that's too bad. Now, did you have a question that
>>> related *specifically* to the Windows XP operating system? Your question
>>> is completely OT - you're asking about two 3rd party applications.
>>> Here's a clue - ask the developer(s) of the application(s) *NOT* the
>>> operating system.
>>> --
>>> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
>>> on salads.
>>>

>> Sorry... I could not find a direct newsgroup that I have access in order
>> to post this question. This newsgroup has very knowledgeable and
>> talented people that have been able to help with an assortment of topics.
>> I was hopeful that they could help with this challenge. It is
>> unfortunate that postings like yours will discourage many people out
>> there from posting to newsgroups.

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:05:39 PM

I know what you mean about Viking, even though I do have an account with
them when I was shopping for a multifunction machine I got one quite a
bit cheaper than the price they wanted to charge.
I wouldn't touch anything Norton, too many horror stories. I do have PM8
but haven't even got around to installing on this XP box, I used it when
I had my WinME machine and dual booted with XP.
Joan

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Viking Direct (office supplies) use a similar tactic over here - their
> website, brochures, leaflets and catalogues are plastered with the inanely
> grinning visage of Ian Helston, the CEO even though he's now retired. I once
> wrote to him to complain about the way customer services had completely
> ballsed up an order for some office chairs - the bastard never replied. He
> has a kindly grandfatherly face, luring people into thinking that their
> prices cannot be beaten (when, in reality, you can buy cheaper just about
> anywhere - and they're very slow to keep up with new equipment models - the
> Canon i9100 had been released nearly 2 years before they stocked the tanks -
> at £10 a pop, twice as much as anywhere else). They keep up the pretence
> with free gifts - "an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bahamas with every
> million reams of Viking brand inkjet paper you buy!" that sort of thing -
> obviously stupid people can't work out that the free gift costs about a
> tenth of what you have to purchase to get it.

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:16:04 PM

Mark

You are doing all that you can, it would seem.. my advice re. this issue is
to dump NIS 2005, but I am aware that you have paid good money in good
faith.. that or you will have to wait until 'Bombay Support' finally
understand your problem..

You can see from other posts in this thread that computer users are not too
happy with Norton products, and it hasn't gone unnoticed that nobody has
come forward to support NIS 2005.. Norton users to whom I have talked tell
me that it has a friendly interface and that it is ok really.. when I ask
why they have asked for my support re. a virus that appears to have made it
through the net, they reiterate the part about the friendly interface and
start quoting from the sales blurb.. the fact that Mrs Anne G of Kelowna,
British Columbia, thinks that NIS is the best invention since the wheel
means nothing at all..

While it is true that there are many experts in many fields, these
newsgroups deal with Microsoft products and problems essentially.. the MVPs
that patrol them have access to huge amounts of MS support material, but are
in the same position as you regarding third party software..

I wish that I could send you to somewhere that could offer proper help in
overcoming your problem, but all that I can do is suggest that you try
another product.. whether you choose to go back to a computer store and
purchase a retail product like McAfee (I use McAfee without problems, as do
99% of those that I personally support) or download a freebie online is
entirely your call..

Good luck along whatever path you choose..

--

!