schema master

I have a small network - just a few servers - and am trying to find the
schema master so I can run adprep/forestprep to add a 2003 server to a 2000
domain. Unfortunately, when I try to put the schema master snap-in utility
on, it is prompting me for the windows 2000 set-up CD which I cannot locate.
So, can anyone help me in finding another way to figure out which server is
the schema master so I can be on my way (and meet my deadline ;-)

Thanks for the help!!!

Regards,
Diane
1 answer Last reply
More about schema master

    Diane-

    If you only have one Domain Controller
    then that is your Schema Master (and it always will be unless you transfer
    the role to a different domain controller). The first domain controller you
    install (ie the first one in the forrest) holds all 5 FSMO roles. These
    roles will stay on that domain controller unless you transfer them. If you
    create any child domains then the first Domain Controller in the child Domain
    will hold 3 FSMO roles (infrastructure master, pdc emulater, and rid
    master). This doesn't mean that your very first Domain Controller no longer
    holds these roles, it means that in every domain the first domain controller
    holds those roles and performs the related functions (if you had 5 domains
    you would have 5 pdc emulators for example). The other 2 roles (schema
    master and domain naming master) are Forest wide roles which means that no
    matter how many domains are in your forrest there will only be one schema
    master and one domain naming master (this is because the function they
    perform has to do with maintaining the integrity of the forest as a whole
    while the other 3 roles maintain the integrity of the domain).

    Insofar as the schema management tool you can install it by going to start >
    run and typing "regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll" without the quotes. Then open the MMC
    and and from the list of available snap-ins you'll see the one for the schema.

    Hope this helps!

    Nick

    "Diane Alsing" wrote:

    > I have a small network - just a few servers - and am trying to find the
    > schema master so I can run adprep/forestprep to add a 2003 server to a 2000
    > domain. Unfortunately, when I try to put the schema master snap-in utility
    > on, it is prompting me for the windows 2000 set-up CD which I cannot locate.
    > So, can anyone help me in finding another way to figure out which server is
    > the schema master so I can be on my way (and meet my deadline ;-)
    >
    > Thanks for the help!!!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Diane

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows