Domain Controller?

I have a network with ONE Domain Controller Win2000Server (Server 1)
I have three other computer servers on the domain.

Doesn't Server 1 HAVE to be the schema master since it is the only domain
controller?

I loaded the adminpak tools from 2000cd thinking I'd be loading the Schema
snap-in, but, alas, the only AD snap ins I see are Users & Computers, Sites &
Services, Domains & Trusts.

I tried to load the adprep/forestprep onto Server 1, but it said it was not
the schema master.

Any insight as to what I might be missing here would be greatly appreciated.
I am now completely confused.

Thank you for your help.

Diane,

To load the Schema mgt snap-in, you have to do the following (from the w2k
resource kit):
The Schema Management snap-in is not one of the default MMC snap-ins that is
provided with Windows 2000 Server. To make it appear in the list of
available snap-ins, you must install the admin tools package (Adminpak.msi).
To register the Schema Management snap-in, open your %SystemRoot%\System32
folder and run Regsvr32 Schmmgmt.dll from the command prompt or from the Run
command on the Start menu.

To find out which servers hold Flexible Single Master Operations roles
(FSMO), there are several tools available. One way is to go to a command
prompt and type: netdom query fsmo. There are five fsmo roles and unless
they were transferred or seized, they would be located on the first domain
controller installed in the forest.

"Diane Alsing" <DianeAlsing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a network with ONE Domain Controller Win2000Server (Server 1)
> I have three other computer servers on the domain.
>
> Doesn't Server 1 HAVE to be the schema master since it is the only domain
> controller?
>
> I loaded the adminpak tools from 2000cd thinking I'd be loading the Schema
> snap-in, but, alas, the only AD snap ins I see are Users & Computers,
Sites &
> Services, Domains & Trusts.
>
> I tried to load the adprep/forestprep onto Server 1, but it said it was
not
> the schema master.
>
> Any insight as to what I might be missing here would be greatly
appreciated.
> I am now completely confused.
>
> Thank you for your help.

I did step one (regsvr 32 schmmgmt.dll). This seemd to run OK, but I still
do not see the schema management snap in (I already had installed the
adminpak.msi).
What the heck am I doing wrong here - I'm going nuts. These steps seemed so
basic, and yet - well, here I am .

I have only one domain controller on a windows server 2000. The other
servers are just workstation servers. Shouldn't that mean that the schema
master must be on the DC 2000 SErver???

Also, I tried running netdom - but the server did not like the command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;-)

"C Hall" wrote:

> Diane,
>
> To load the Schema mgt snap-in, you have to do the following (from the w2k
> resource kit):
> The Schema Management snap-in is not one of the default MMC snap-ins that is
> provided with Windows 2000 Server. To make it appear in the list of
> available snap-ins, you must install the admin tools package (Adminpak.msi).
> To register the Schema Management snap-in, open your %SystemRoot%\System32
> folder and run Regsvr32 Schmmgmt.dll from the command prompt or from the Run
> command on the Start menu.
>

> To find out which servers hold Flexible Single Master Operations roles
> (FSMO), there are several tools available. One way is to go to a command
> prompt and type: netdom query fsmo. There are five fsmo roles and unless
> they were transferred or seized, they would be located on the first domain
> controller installed in the forest.
>

> "Diane Alsing" <DianeAlsing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a network with ONE Domain Controller Win2000Server (Server 1)
> > I have three other computer servers on the domain.
> >
> > Doesn't Server 1 HAVE to be the schema master since it is the only domain
> > controller?
> >
> > I loaded the adminpak tools from 2000cd thinking I'd be loading the Schema
> > snap-in, but, alas, the only AD snap ins I see are Users & Computers,
> Sites &
> > Services, Domains & Trusts.
> >
> > I tried to load the adprep/forestprep onto Server 1, but it said it was
> not
> > the schema master.
> >
> > Any insight as to what I might be missing here would be greatly
> appreciated.
> > I am now completely confused.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.

Start > Run > type MMC. Click Console > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add. It will be
listed as Active Directory Schema. That aside, you should have no real
reason to use this tool (there are obvious exceptions), at least not for
what you're trying to do.

My apologies about netdom. As a rule, I generally install the resource kit
on all my servers. Here's a link to get resource kit tools for windows 2000.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/default.asp

hth,
Chris

> I did step one (regsvr 32 schmmgmt.dll). This seemd to run OK, but I
still
> do not see the schema management snap in (I already had installed the
> adminpak.msi).
> What the heck am I doing wrong here - I'm going nuts. These steps seemed
so
> basic, and yet - well, here I am .
>
> I have only one domain controller on a windows server 2000. The other
> servers are just workstation servers. Shouldn't that mean that the schema
> master must be on the DC 2000 SErver???
>
> Also, I tried running netdom - but the server did not like the command.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated ;-)
>
> "C Hall" wrote:
>
> > Diane,
> >
> > To load the Schema mgt snap-in, you have to do the following (from the
w2k
> > resource kit):
> > The Schema Management snap-in is not one of the default MMC snap-ins
that is
> > provided with Windows 2000 Server. To make it appear in the list of
> > available snap-ins, you must install the admin tools package
(Adminpak.msi).
> > To register the Schema Management snap-in, open your
%SystemRoot%\System32
> > folder and run Regsvr32 Schmmgmt.dll from the command prompt or from the
Run
> > command on the Start menu.
> >

> > To find out which servers hold Flexible Single Master Operations roles
> > (FSMO), there are several tools available. One way is to go to a command
> > prompt and type: netdom query fsmo. There are five fsmo roles and unless
> > they were transferred or seized, they would be located on the first
domain
> > controller installed in the forest.
> >

> > "Diane Alsing" <DianeAlsing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a network with ONE Domain Controller Win2000Server (Server 1)
> > > I have three other computer servers on the domain.
> > >
> > > Doesn't Server 1 HAVE to be the schema master since it is the only
domain
> > > controller?
> > >
> > > I loaded the adminpak tools from 2000cd thinking I'd be loading the
Schema
> > > snap-in, but, alas, the only AD snap ins I see are Users & Computers,
> > Sites &
> > > Services, Domains & Trusts.
> > >
> > > I tried to load the adprep/forestprep onto Server 1, but it said it
was
> > not
> > > the schema master.
> > >
> > > Any insight as to what I might be missing here would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> > > I am now completely confused.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help.

I finally found the sneaky instructions on the web & found my schema master -
unfortunately, when I ran adprep/forestprep i received the following messages:
Current Schema is version 13
Upgrading to version 30
ERROR: Failed to transfer the schema FSMO role: 52

do you have any ideas?

"C Hall" wrote:

> Start > Run > type MMC. Click Console > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add. It will be
> listed as Active Directory Schema. That aside, you should have no real
> reason to use this tool (there are obvious exceptions), at least not for
> what you're trying to do.
>
> My apologies about netdom. As a rule, I generally install the resource kit
> on all my servers. Here's a link to get resource kit tools for windows 2000.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/default.asp
>

> hth,
> Chris
>
> "Diane Alsing" <DianeAlsing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I did step one (regsvr 32 schmmgmt.dll). This seemd to run OK, but I
> still
> > do not see the schema management snap in (I already had installed the
> > adminpak.msi).
> > What the heck am I doing wrong here - I'm going nuts. These steps seemed
> so
> > basic, and yet - well, here I am .
> >
> > I have only one domain controller on a windows server 2000. The other
> > servers are just workstation servers. Shouldn't that mean that the schema
> > master must be on the DC 2000 SErver???
> >
> > Also, I tried running netdom - but the server did not like the command.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated ;-)
> >
> > "C Hall" wrote:
> >
> > > Diane,
> > >
> > > To load the Schema mgt snap-in, you have to do the following (from the
> w2k
> > > resource kit):
> > > The Schema Management snap-in is not one of the default MMC snap-ins
> that is
> > > provided with Windows 2000 Server. To make it appear in the list of
> > > available snap-ins, you must install the admin tools package
> (Adminpak.msi).
> > > To register the Schema Management snap-in, open your
> %SystemRoot%\System32
> > > folder and run Regsvr32 Schmmgmt.dll from the command prompt or from the
> Run
> > > command on the Start menu.
> > >

> > > To find out which servers hold Flexible Single Master Operations roles
> > > (FSMO), there are several tools available. One way is to go to a command
> > > prompt and type: netdom query fsmo. There are five fsmo roles and unless
> > > they were transferred or seized, they would be located on the first
> domain
> > > controller installed in the forest.
> > >

> > > "Diane Alsing" <DianeAlsing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> domain

> Schema
> > > Sites &

> was
> > > not

> > > appreciated.

I have not worked with 2003, but found this article through Google:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305476

Here's the google search results:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=adprep%2Fforestprep+ERROR%3A+Failed+to+transfer+the+schema+FSMO+role%3A+52