Hi. I bought a new computer yesterday.
MB Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
RAM Corsair 2x1024 Dominator
HDD Samsung SATA2 400GB 16MB Cache
VGA Msi Geforce 8800GTX 768MB
PSU Enermax G565AX-VE(G) 535W
LCD Samsung 204B 20.1"

I have following problems... When I go via DVI on 1280x1024 it goes OK, when I turn to 1600x1200 the LCD start turning off or blinking... when I use the analog input everything goes Ok even on the resolution of 1600x1200. May it be caused by the PSU? I heard there must be more ampers on 12V. On the PSU is said the 12V together gives output of 34A. Is the PSU weak for this VGA card? Next problem is when I was playing Oblivion something some creepy sounds goes from the mashine, like squeaking. When I press ESC the menu appears and the sound is gone. Then I press resume and it squeaks again.

Please help me, cause I am absoulutely dissapointed, you know how much cost this whole computer set up

More about : problems vga geforce 8800gtx

December 21, 2006 8:27:22 AM

I will try to figure it out but I am not sure i will figure it out, cause the space between the PSU and VGA is not as big as my head :D 

When the sound is comming from PSU it means the PSU is weak for the comp. compostion? I heard that the fisrt line of GeForce 8800GTX had bad condensor. May it be caused by this? May it be I have one of theese cards?
December 21, 2006 9:31:16 AM

Quote:

I have following problems... When I go via DVI on 1280x1024 it goes OK, when I turn to 1600x1200 the LCD start turning off or blinking... when I use the analog input everything goes Ok even on the resolution of 1600x1200.

Ok for the LCD blinking problem i had the exact same problem and i finally got it all figured out. I had a thread going about that, if you want to read up on it what people were suggesting to me and give it a try it might help you.

he final verdict was that i was using the wrong DVI cable for my LCD. The cable you get from the factory with your LCD does not work properly with the resolution 1600x1200. Please read my post here:link

About the sound in Oblivion. I had the same problem and then i had to verify the files on my hard drive, and Steam downloaded any missing files if any, than the strange sounds problem went away. If you click onto Oblivion in the Steam console, then select Properties you will find the option to verify your data files. At least i think it is called verify files or something like that.

I hope this helps.

Ohh one last thing. For your LCD go into the LCD menu and load the default settings of the LCD, or reset the settings. That will also take care of your flickering issue. I am talking about the menu right on your monitor, where you can adjust your color settings an such.
Related resources
December 21, 2006 9:36:59 AM

OOPS i didn't read your post that the sound is coming from the PSU sorry. Never mind me about the Oblivion problem than. I would definitely check your PSU it is probably weak for your setup. I have a 650W Enermax, but i think for the 8800GTX the minimum you have to have is 450W PSU.

I would recommend you get a new PSU, and give it a try, if it is not the PSU you can always return it. Also the 8800 GTX cards has a little beeper right on the card and if it is not getting enough poser it will beep at you hard. When i first put my PC together i forgot to connect the power lines onto my video card and it was beeping my head off for that 2 seconds while i had it on before i shut it off.
December 21, 2006 10:58:06 AM

Quote:
...i forgot to connect the power lines onto my video card and it was beeping my head off for that 2 seconds while i had it on before i shut it off.

HARHARHARHAR!!!
How many times have u plugged a new card in only to forget abt the power, then briefly freaking out thinking u killed your sys be4 remembering that.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

PS. Your psu pwr should be fine
Squeaking noises are NEVER good
LCD's should only be run in native rez (it just looks better)
December 21, 2006 11:19:23 AM

Well yeah but you can not really kill these cards any more because they shut off automatically when they reach a certain temperature. So no need to freak out really. The only thing you can kill this way is the CPU.
Without the cooling unit going on i mean.
December 22, 2006 5:21:51 AM

You think the PSU is for this configuration strong enough?

MB Asus P5B Deluxe
SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY
LCD Samsung 204B 20.1"

The sound going from the case is caused by VGA. When I go in 2D everything is fine, but when I play a game the freaky sound appears, when I paused Oblivion the sound was weaker but it was still there. This problem is in every game.

I heared that there was a problem with condensor on the VGA. My opinion is that the VGA has not enough power or it has bad condensor, otherwise it will not make sounds like I mentioned before.
December 22, 2006 9:29:46 AM

Quote:
You think the PSU is for this configuration strong enough?

MB Asus P5B Deluxe
SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY
LCD Samsung 204B 20.1"

The sound going from the case is caused by VGA. When I go in 2D everything is fine, but when I play a game the freaky sound appears, when I paused Oblivion the sound was weaker but it was still there. This problem is in every game.

I heared that there was a problem with condensor on the VGA. My opinion is that the VGA has not enough power or it has bad condensor, otherwise it will not make sounds like I mentioned before.

No the PSU is definitely not strong enough for this config. I would recommend using at least a 600W PSU in your case. At least get one and give it a try. If the sound is still there you can always bring the PSU right back to the store for a refund, but at least you eliminated 1 possibility from the list of things that can be wrong. But i am almost 100% sure it is the PSU that causes the problem.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2006 10:02:41 AM

Here's how to calculate the PSU you need.
Go to:

http://extreme.outervision.com (Power supply calculator)

and add one Hard Disk, one optical drive, video card and CPU, use high end motherboard,
calculate Watts and divide by 12 to get amps. Add 2-4 amps for safety.

Compare to your power supply 12v rails.
Combined should not exceed requirements.

Max power output on 12v rails: look at box, subtract 3.3v + 5v maximum output from total
wattage of PSU and divide by 12 to get maximum amps on 12v rail. Should be higher than
requirements. That's why we add 2-4 amps.

See this PSU 101:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-101-ftopict...

Top Tier PSU:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Exhaustive PSU review:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/xbit-labs-psu-r...
January 29, 2007 8:15:54 AM

I bought Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT active FPC and the problems with the noise is still there, even the computer sometimes resets itself... The blue screen appears for a second with white text and it resets the computer. Dont know whether the PSU is strong enough or the card is corrupted. Do you think that the additional PSU for grafic cards will help to solve the problem? I was thinking about the Thermaltake PurePower 250W W0099 dual VGA. Do you know how does it works? Does it use all the power of the additional PSU if I connect one wire of the grafic card to the additional PSU and the second one to the Enermax? Cause there are to separeted +12V rails.

Please help me, cause this changing PSU for "better ones" are expensive and does not solve my problem at all :( 
January 29, 2007 10:18:37 AM

I had the same problem
I found out it was my samsung 204b monitor it was only 1 month old too
RMA'ed it now it works fine.... :D 
January 29, 2007 11:13:19 AM

Sorry for my persecution. You think that the combined rating of 36A isn't still enough? You think that for example LC POWER LC8700 V2.2 - HYPERION, 700W, Active-PFC (quad rail with combinated rating of 56A)d be better than the Enermax 620W(dual rail with combinated rating 36A) and solve my problem with strange sounds coming from my grafic card? The sounds appears in 3D rendering and I marked that it appears even by the 2D slideshows in pps presentations and when I scroll down the window. Do yuo think I have to once again change my PSU for stronger one, or it might be the card is corrupted?

Thanks
January 29, 2007 12:56:01 PM

Are you sure, cause the period of reclaiming is up to month and I don't want to be without the computer for so long.

Thanks
January 29, 2007 1:09:00 PM

I had the same happened to me at 1600X1200 with dvi but vga worked ok
was thinking it was my video card (8800gts)but when i talked to samsung tech support they was thinking it was my monitor...

I did the advanced RMA so i got it in 4 days so not sure about basic RMA

After i got the new one i can now run DVI at the 1600x1200
just wanted to let you know it work for me because it took awhile to figure out ....sounds the same

hope this helps :) 
!