Sign in with
Your question

Problem with New PC - My First Build using a SATA HD

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2006 6:19:43 AM

Trying to put together a simple PC setup. Just 1 HD (SATA) and a DVD Burner (IDE). Since the burner is the lone IDE device, it's connected to IDE-1 on the mobo. Since the HD is the lone SATA device, I have it connected to SATA-1.

On boot-up I set the BIOS to run off the DVD drive to start WinXP installation, but WinXP doesn't detect the hard drive.

I go back to the BIOS and see that the SATA HD is listed as SCSI-0 and a RAID device (??).

I have a feeling I'm running into an issue because I have both as primary devices on their respective channels, but perhaps more knowledgeable people can lend some advice. Cause it's 3:20am and I'm to fried to crack the case open and start swapping cables.

Thanks in advance.

More about : problem build sata

December 21, 2006 2:54:35 PM

If you have both red & black SATA connectors, use the black one.

Go up into BIOS and disable RAID mode for the onboard-chipset SATA controller. XP should now see your hd as if it was an IDE drive, not needing any drivers.

If the above is not achievable, You will have to feed the XP install the SATA drivers via A FLOPPY, into your floppy drive, by hitting F6 at the beginning of the install.
December 22, 2006 12:14:38 AM

Quote:

Go up into BIOS and disable RAID mode for the onboard-chipset SATA controller. XP should now see your hd as if it was an IDE drive, not needing any drivers.

Thanks for the help!! I guess I was so tired I completely missed that section of the BIOS. Although disabling the RAID mode didn't work, I needed to leave it Enabled and change the Mode from "RAID" to "IDE". Regardless, you got my XP install going. Thanks again!
December 22, 2006 1:50:28 AM

You are very welcome. It's nice, when someone gets a solution, to say thank you. A lot of you guys never let us know.
!