router (and other n00b) questions

ucox_99

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
my friends and i want to setup a LAN in our dorm and using a cable internet service.

1. we are considering to use a wired router (instead of hubs and switch). how ever, since there's only 9 of us (routers only sold in 8 and 16 ports by default), should we buy a 16 port router or a 8 port router and a switch?

2. are there any router with a built-in adsl modem?

3. some of us would not use the internet service. can a router block the internet connection to these people? (but we can still play CS and share files)

4. does a router share/lock the same amount of bandwidth through out all computers? (so there will be no one who can 'suck' them all, especially for bittorrent)

5. is there any way to find out how many internet bandwidth that goes into our router (a real time monitor)?

Thanks for any help :wink:

p.s.: i know that this sort of problems might be answered in previous threads, but some of them are very, very technical. if you guys have a link to a similar topic (with more 'plain english' explanation), i'm more than happy to read it.

sturm

Splendid
1) To help keep the price down I would just get a normal 4 port router and an 8 port switch. Speed wont be affected.

2) Yes they have modems with built in routers but it wiould be better to have seperate. If one goes out or you upgrade its easier to just replace whats needed.

3) If you want to block the internet then set their computers with a 0.0.0.0 gateway. Lan addresses will still work. Higher end routers can use an access control list to block certain ports/access to certain ip address but those are pretty expensive.

4) Normal settings will give each computer access to the full available bandwidth when going out on the internet. Computer to computer will be full bandwidth all the time, unless your on a hub. There are routers that can limit bandwidth per port. Dont know of any off the top of my head right now.

5) Checkout pcpitstop.com

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Like ucox_99 said router are normally 4 or 8 ports.

I too prefer the modem and router seperate.

Netgear FVS 338 or 538 both have access control and bandwidth montoring. Depend on the speed of your ISP these have bandwidth speed (WAN) > 90mbps, which cover most services. These are also FPN routers.
Liksys also have routers and switches to meet your need.

As for gaiming You may want to look at 24port giga switch, if you are heavy in FP games. If not the above router should be fine. Some managed switches can contol/limit bandwidth.

You will require a router to share an internet connection, unless you are going to pay extra for seperate IP address.

ucox_99

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the input. More questions:

1) If I go to the 4-port router+8-port switch option (which I most probably pick), which brand should i pick for the switch and the router? I reckon that Blue68F100 mentioned netgear and linksys ones, but i do want to know if there's any cheaper alternatives...

2) Are there any specific name/term (jargons) for the features i asked in the first post, i.e.:
- internet access blocking for some clients, and
- bandwitdh control/limitation so all clients can have the same amount/balance of bandwidth

3) Are these features controlled/managed by the router (hardware) or the software packed in the box?

Thanks for the help. Fully appreciated :D

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Of all the brands on the market, DONT BUY BELKIN. These have a lot of problem.

The models I mentioned have the features you ask for. But these are bussiness class routers. Managed switches are expensive. You just need to ask yourself if it worth the money for gaming.

There are may router to choos from. Look at Toms Network guide on routers and pick one htat met your needs. Most all of the upper 1/2 will. You did not mention anything about wireless. Stay away from 11n, and stick with the 11g. Ebay is a good source to pick thing up at a lower cost. Example The netgear FVS338 can be had for around 125 (it a $300 router), where the 328 model around 75.