Trouble with adding existing user to SBS 2003 network

I had to re-install W2K (SP4) onto a workstation. When I tried to add the
same users name during install, it gave me the following error:

"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

On an NT network I would remove the server connection under Server Manager.

I have Exchange 2003 with OWA activated, also. If I remove the server
connection will this effect the e-mail (like deleting it?) Any other things
I should be aware of before I remove the connection? Is there a better way
to re-establish the original user connection?

"Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had to re-install W2K (SP4) onto a workstation. When I tried to add the
> same users name during install, it gave me the following error:
>
> "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"
>
> On an NT network I would remove the server connection under Server
Manager.

> I have Exchange 2003 with OWA activated, also. If I remove the server
> connection will this effect the e-mail (like deleting it?) Any other
things
> I should be aware of before I remove the connection? Is there a better
way
> to re-establish the original user connection?

"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials":
This message is usually generated when you have an existing
share connection while trying to join a machine to a domain.
Knock out the share connection before registering!

Exchange accounts are not affected by you deregistering and
re-registering a machine.

How do you de-register and register a user account (I'm still trying to
equate NT4 to 2003 Server techniques.)

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I had to re-install W2K (SP4) onto a workstation. When I tried to add the
> > same users name during install, it gave me the following error:
> >
> > "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"
> >
> > On an NT network I would remove the server connection under Server
> Manager.
> >
> > I have Exchange 2003 with OWA activated, also. If I remove the server
> > connection will this effect the e-mail (like deleting it?) Any other
> things
> > I should be aware of before I remove the connection? Is there a better
> way
> > to re-establish the original user connection?
>
> "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials":
> This message is usually generated when you have an existing
> share connection while trying to join a machine to a domain.
> Knock out the share connection before registering!
>
> Exchange accounts are not affected by you deregistering and
> re-registering a machine.

I never said anything about derigistering a user account -
I wrote about deregistering and re-registering a machine.
This is not quite the same thing.

Click Start / Help / Search tab, then type Join a domain.
There is a detailed guide there that explains the process.

> How do you de-register and register a user account (I'm still trying to
> equate NT4 to 2003 Server techniques.)
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I had to re-install W2K (SP4) onto a workstation. When I tried to add
the
> > > same users name during install, it gave me the following error:
> > >
> > > "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of
credentials"

> > > On an NT network I would remove the server connection under Server
> > Manager.
> > >
> > > I have Exchange 2003 with OWA activated, also. If I remove the server
> > > connection will this effect the e-mail (like deleting it?) Any other
> > things
> > > I should be aware of before I remove the connection? Is there a
better
> > way
> > > to re-establish the original user connection?
> >
> > "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials":
> > This message is usually generated when you have an existing
> > share connection while trying to join a machine to a domain.
> > Knock out the share connection before registering!
> >
> > Exchange accounts are not affected by you deregistering and
> > re-registering a machine.

Followed directions while logged on as Administrator to the local machine and
got the message:

"User already exists"

Tried going through the same procedure while logged on as the domain client
and got the error:

"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

Should I do something to the profile (rename it and let it get reset in
'Documents and Settings')?

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> I never said anything about derigistering a user account -
> I wrote about deregistering and re-registering a machine.
> This is not quite the same thing.
>
> Click Start / Help / Search tab, then type Join a domain.
> There is a detailed guide there that explains the process.
>

> "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you de-register and register a user account (I'm still trying to
> > equate NT4 to 2003 Server techniques.)
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the

> credentials"

> > > Manager.

> > > things
> better
> > > way
> > >
> > > "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials":
> > > This message is usually generated when you have an existing
> > > share connection while trying to join a machine to a domain.
> > > Knock out the share connection before registering!
> > >
> > > Exchange accounts are not affected by you deregistering and
> > > re-registering a machine.

By the way, what is this "GREATEST NEWS EVER" stuff. It looks like an
invitation to a virus or malware.