Sign in with
Your question

Difference between 20 inch and 20.1 inch LCD?

Last response: in Components
December 21, 2006 8:44:36 AM

Hi, I am looking to buy a 20 inch wide screen monitor for Christmas. However, when I was looking around in Neweggs, I found out there are two categories of 20 inch monitors. One is 20' and the other one is 20.1'', so my question is, what is the difference between them? is one better than another?

And can any one recommend a good quality 20/20.1 inch wide screen gaming LCD for around $250 to $350? Thank you.
December 21, 2006 4:31:12 PM

.1"

Sorry I couldn't resist that. :wink:

For gaming purposes response time is an important factor, less is faster and better for 3D Gaming, for example 8x is better than 16x, 4x better than 8x, etc.

So add that in your decision making process.
Related resources
December 21, 2006 5:47:49 PM

Quote:
Not much of a difference, you do want to look at the maximum resolution tho... Make sure to look for good contrast and refresh rates... I've been looking at those size monitors also, and the one that gets consistently good marks is the one from Dell E207WFP(in that price range $260)...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

Good luck...

8O

I got a Dell 2007 FPW and it's great!!!
December 21, 2006 6:07:48 PM

ah, thanks a lot guys.
December 21, 2006 6:38:54 PM

i would avoid a wide screen resolution at wide screen is not supported by more than a few games, although this resolution is common for most LCDs that size you can find a few that are 1600x1200, its supported alot more in general.
December 21, 2006 7:03:13 PM

If you get a widescreen, you should be ok but most 20" monitors are 1680x1050 and will not run games at even 1280x1024 or 1280x968. I had an Apply Cinema 20" and i had to add a custom setting to my 6800GT for it to play games at those two rez's. Now I run a 24" Dell and it works great. It is true, not many games run widescreen yet but there are getting to be more and more. If you play FPS's and MMO's most new ones do run widescreen, even some new RTS's do.

If you are curious if your game is capable of widescreen, there is a list of games that can @ http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Master_Games_List_-_A. If your game doesn't, you would be better off getting a 19" or 20" non-widescreen.

Running a non-widescreen game on a widescreen 20" would be the same as about 16" or 17" (I didnt do the math of 16:9 or 16:10 vs 4:3, it's just a guess) so you do not gain much in screen size.\

Also, if you DO get the widescreen, make sure you set your gfx card to run in Keep Aspect Ratio mode otherwise it will scretch non-widescreen things to widescreen and mess up how things look. I run Nvidia cards so I only know where those settings are in those, not ATI, but I'm sure they have that setting too.

I love my Dell and will never go back to normal but thats all personal opinion ;) 
December 21, 2006 7:15:58 PM

The difference is the aspect ratio. I have a 20.1 and it plays CSS and EQ2 beautifully @ 1680x1050. The game modes are supported once you install the correct monitor drivers for it.

Like it or not, widescreen is moving in...and fast, especially with all the hdtvs dropping in prices like mad.
December 21, 2006 8:13:12 PM

I am also getting a 8800 gtx, so I d'ont think supporting native resolution gaming is a problem

Weird, I always thought most of the games support wide screen resolution. I currently own a dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. It is a 15inch wide screen with 1650 * 1050 resolution. And almost all the games I've played support this resolution -_-;

anyways, seems like you like dell monitors, i guess that is what i will go for. =)
December 21, 2006 8:39:03 PM

It's not a 20 inch, but I've been using a DELL 1907FP, which has virtually the same hardware as any 1907/2007 model and I have no complains.
I did a bit of research before buying, and some people complain about a color banding issue (visible on darker tones) with these monitors, as well as a general decrease in picture quality when compared to the excellent 1905/2005 models (the previous one). Personally I haven't experienced any of these issues, but you might want to double check and read dell's forums before you take the plunge.

Cheers
December 21, 2006 10:35:08 PM

They may be ok but I would throw myself in front of a bus before using anything with the Dell name. Irrational not really, be it at the office or home their stuff is more or less cheaply made prone to premature failures.

Go for a Samsung
December 22, 2006 9:54:37 AM

Quote:
I did a bit of research before buying, and some people complain about a color banding issue (visible on darker tones) with these monitors, as well as a general decrease in picture quality when compared to the excellent 1905/2005 models (the previous one). Personally I haven't experienced any of these issues, but you might want to double check and read dell's forums before you take the plunge.

The 2005 was an excellent monitor. I had it running flawless until this november, when 1 dead pixel showed up on the middle of my screen (damn bastard was locked in red and was clearly visible :(  ), I called Dell support and in 24 hours they replaced my 2005 FPW for a 2007 FPW, which has a nicer design, updated software and at least to me looks like having a faster response time.

There were some issues with the first batch of 2007 monitors, but it has been already fixed. :) 

Quote:
They may be ok but I would throw myself in front of a bus before using anything with the Dell name. Irrational not really, be it at the office or home their stuff is more or less cheaply made prone to premature failures.

Go for a Samsung

Well, I haven't got any complain about Dell. I did a lot of research on the monitor before I bought it, and it was the best choice I could do at the time, and at least Dell support has been the best I've ever experienced.
March 29, 2007 3:14:12 PM

When you mentioned aspect ratio, were you implying the diffences of native 16:9(20') vs the 16:10(20.1). This was the only difference I found; however, I am unsure if my findings are correct. Can you please help to verify? And if this is so, which of the two is considered the correct aspect ratio for hd?

Thanks
!