Using a MR814 for a wired network

VITIXER

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Hi there, :)

I'm a n00b looking for a simple solution to wiring a Netgear MR814 to two computers using no wireless connections. One desktop running XP Pro the other is a laptop with XP home. I just want to access files on the desktop from the laptop with no internet connection. What do I need to get this working?

Thanks for any help :!:

sturm

Splendid
Connect both computers with cat 5 cable. follow the setup instructions for the router and you should be networked.
If you have tried this then let us know what is/isnt working.
Also might run an ipconfig /all from a cmd box and post it here for us to see.

VITIXER

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the advice Sturm!

If I plug the Cat 5 cables from the computers to the router, will it automatically detect them? I'm not sure how to configure for a wired network, since the web access screen will not be used. :?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Once your computer are connected to the router, you will need to login to the router and setup you internet service and security for the wireless.

Refer to the Installation Guide if you have it. of not this will get you started.

http://www.routerlogin.net. Then, when prompted, enter admin as the user
name and password for the password both in lower case letters.

The wizzard will walk you through the setup.

Make sure you change the default password, and turn off the wireless if you are not going to use it.

VITIXER

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
This router would not be connected to the internet. With that said, how to login to the router and to configure it for two computers sending data to one another?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Just let the router setup the wan (internet) to DHCP. With nothing connected it will show Not Connected.

Does not affect the LAN side.

You should still disable the Wireless or add WPA security, even though not used. Will keep the your system secure.

VITIXER

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
You should still disable the Wireless or add WPA security, even though not used. Will keep the your system secure.

Won't need any security measures since it will not be online nor will it be broadcasting wireless. It will just be the router wired to the two computers.

VITIXER

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, it seemed to work after running the windows network wizard on both computers.

Can two users access the same file at the same time? Had some problems there.
Won't need any security measures since it will not be online nor will it be broadcasting wireless. It will just be the router wired to the two computers.
Also how can the wireless portion be turned off? I noticed that it was broadcasting when it was hooked up. :?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
2 computers can access files at the same time only if its read only. You can't have 2 people editing the file at the same time, with out a server controlling access.

Most wireless routers have a flag that allow you to turn off the wireless. Will have to login in a turn the radio/wireless off.