E6300 System wont boot

I just built an E6300 system last night and as soon as I pushed the power button, all the fans (CPU, case fan, video card fan) spinned for a second or so and thats it. The system did not boot, I did got the green light on the motherboard as in everything is fine. So I tried taking parts out one at a time to figure out what the problem was....Took the hard drive, then the video card, so just running the sytem with RAM, then I tried taking out one of the two RAM sticks just incase if that was the issue but nothing seem to work. I tried unplugging the power cord from the power supply as well to make sure if that could be the problem. If you guys could suggest something which I havent tried so far then that would be great. Thanks for your help AGAIN!

System Specs:
Intel E6300
Intel D965 Chipset motherboard
2 X 512MB DDR II 800
EVGA 7900 GTO
Antec NeoHE 430Watts PS
34 answers Last reply
More about e6300 system wont boot
  1. Are you getting error beep codes after u remove each component? Do 1 at a time. Cards first, them mem. Are you using the stock heatsink? if so pull that off and reseat it.
  2. no, i dont get any beeps. And yes I removed one component at a time. The memory meets the board requirements.. such as 1.8V and the board does support DDR II 800. Yes I am using the stock heatsink.

Interesting, how would taking off the heatsink and reseating would help? because of my friends built a system long time ago and the heatsink was not sitting properly but he still got the system to boot, the system would shut down after few seconds because cpu temp would get too high.
  3. The stock heatsink is a pain the the a$$ to get in correctly. If its not in right your cpu maybe instanly overheating and shutting down. 9 times out of 10 people install the stok heatsink wrong the first time around. Also does your motherboad support the brand of memory you purchased. Some mem just doesnt work with certain mobos.
  4. well im @ work right now so I can't reinstall the heatsink, will do when I get home. The RAM I bought was not listen on the Intel website, thats why I took a chance and bought the one which meet the requirements since I could not find any Kingston or Samsung DDR 800's.
  5. If the mem isnt listed as being supported on the mob manufacturers site, that may be your problem. However the fact that u get no beep codes has me a bit weary. Could be something else.
  6. Double check that you connected the additional 4-pin +12V connector. The system won't boot if that isn't connected. Also, make sure it isn't in backwards 8O

Try booting with no memory. If you don't get a POST error then you've ruled out the RAM.

Other possibilities include an improperly installed or damaged CPU (but I would expect it to post), DOA PSU, or maybe a short on the motherboard (or even a DOA motherboard).
  7. hmm I will try taking the memory out and see if that helps. thanks for your advice, I will try to let you know if it worked. If it didnt, then I guess it has to be either the CPU or the MOBO since the power supply works fine with my AMD setup.
  8. VERY rare to have a CPU DOA, but does happen.

Just from left field here, but did you install the mobo standoffs between the mobo and the tray?

Vid card and CPU seated properly and HSF correct?

Additonal power cord connected to mobo?
  9. well I installed the processor when the motherboard was NOT in the case and same for the heatsink. I seated the motherboard on the antistatic bag in which the board came in.

As far as cables are concerned, all are connected. the 12V for processor and the 24pin power cable to the motherboard.
  10. Ok. But you put in the brass-colored standoff screws (spacers) between the mobo and tray, right? Or did you screw the mobo directly to the tray?

Either the brass or plastic ones:

Those need to go between the mobo and tray. You put these into the tray, then the mobo on top, then screw the mobo into the standoffs.

If you just attached the mobo directly to the tray without any standoffs whatsoever, then that's your problem......you 99% sure fried your mobo. Just return it and claim it's defective and get another one ;)
  11. Quote:
    VERY rare to have a CPU DOA, but does happen.
    No, I said damaged CPU, as in improper handling by user. DOA means you never had a chance.

Also, a question for the OP. Did you inspect your 775 Socket for damage before installing the CPU? Was the protective plastic cap in place on the socket?
  12. :oops: Damaged, not defective.......read that a bit too quick. My bad.
  13. No I did not screwed the motherboard directly to the tray, the brass standoff screwed are there between the motherboard and the tray.

And yes I did checked for the connectors on the motherboard for the socket if they were ok and there was a protective plastic cap on it when it arrived.
  14. Ok, least that rules that out..........

No beeps at all.......dunno if that would be memory.......?
  15. so far that the only thing which sounds like to be the problem. I will try booting without the memory and with the recommended memory from Intel and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot for your input. Appriciated
  16. Quote:
    so far that the only thing which sounds like to be the problem. I will try booting without the memory and with the recommended memory from Intel and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot for your input. Appriciated

Also take out your cpu and reseat it and before you put it back look at the pins in the socket...see if you notice any damage.
  17. Had a very similiar problem with my build with a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 board. It would not recover from the bios save / power cycle on the first power on. Everything spun up for about a second and then went off.

I reset the bios and fully discharded the power supply (unplugged it and left it overnight) and when I fired it the next day it went through its normal power on, power off, power on cycle and has been fine ever since.
  18. Will give that a shot as well, i guess i just have to be patient and wait untill i try to troubleshoot it
  19. dayaldiw

I had the same problem a few days ago. System would start, 2 seconds later switch off every time. I also thought it was damaged memory, motherboard or worse, processor, but after several hours of testing and stress, it turned out the power button on my newish antec case was damaged. Used the reset button as the power switch just by moving the reset cable onto the m.boards pins for the power switch.

Worked perfect ever since.
  20. Thats a good tip but I am using the same case for my AMD setup. So i know
    Power Supply
    Case
    Video Card
    Hard Drive

are not a part of the problem. I just have to see, I really hope its not the motherboard or the processor. I can change the RAM without much problem, a lil bit of restocking fee :evil:
  21. I tried booting the system without RAM, reset BIOS by taking out the battery for about 10mins, reseated the heatsink fan, made sure all power cables are connected but I am still having the same problem. As soon as the power switch it turned on, the CPU fan starts spinning for about a second or two and stops. Now I feel I am a little lost.
  22. I feel your pain! I have a similar system, except with ddr2 667. When I first built it, it worked fine. An entire month went by without a hiccup - then we had a power outage. Now, the only way I can get any action from the board is with no memory in and the bios config jumper removed. I replaced the mobo and psu assuming that they had blown, got the same effect. Bought another stick of ram - still nothing. RMA'd my processor - STILL nothing.

And that's where I stand right now.
  23. could be your power supply not getting enough power from the outlet (this is directed to the thread creator)

my friend's computer doesn't work in his room, but in another section of his house, it works like a charm. it would start up then after 2 seconds beep and power down.

best of luck to everyone =/ hopefully my build (yay my parts arrived today!) will not be plagued with your bad luck.
  24. Hmm, anyone know the contact number for Intel Tech support or better yet how to get an RMA :p

Thanks alot for everyones help here. I really appriciate your input.
  25. Quote:
    I tried booting the system without RAM, reset BIOS by taking out the battery for about 10mins, reseated the heatsink fan, made sure all power cables are connected but I am still having the same problem. As soon as the power switch it turned on, the CPU fan starts spinning for about a second or two and stops. Now I feel I am a little lost.

I think possibly your PSU doesn't have the 12V rails to support your setup or is malfunctioning, or both.

Get a PSU with some balls and try that (Ex: Seasonic S12 600W)
  26. Well im not an expert at how much power would a motherboard and a processor need to boot up but the same power supply (Antec 430Watts) powers up my AMD setup with 2 SATA's, 7900GTO and a dvd burner just fine even when i got my 7900GTO it said on the box that it needs a minimum 450Watts power supply.
  27. If you're still absolutely certain that the PSU is running fine, I would have to think your motherboard was DOA -or- it is somehow being weirdly shorted by the case.

Your options are to build the PC outside of the case on a static-safe surface (ie cardboard, wood, antistatic bag) or RMA the board through your supplier (ie. Newegg).

But before you do that, I noticed your PSU is modular. Are you certain that the cables are plugged in correctly to the PSU? Also, are you certain the cables haven't been damaged?
  28. Yep, I'm positive about the power supply because its actually just 2 months old and no signs of any sort of damage on the cables. And I did made sure that it clicks down all way (without forcing ofcourse).
  29. Build it outside of the case. See how it boots up then.
  30. Quote:
    Well im not an expert at how much power would a motherboard and a processor need to boot up but the same power supply (Antec 430Watts) powers up my AMD setup with 2 SATA's, 7900GTO and a dvd burner just fine even when i got my 7900GTO it said on the box that it needs a minimum 450Watts power supply.

You're obviously not an expert on how much power you need. You could have left that comment out and most would have drawn the correct inference.

But beyond that you are disregarding recommendations from an expert (your video card manufacturer). And most persons know that it is wise to increase minimum figures for power, CPU capability, and RAM. So the 450watt number is getting bigger.

Even though your video card recommends 450watts (and that may be without figuring the new power requirements for Conroe C2D) and most of the successful articles on running Conroe (particularly O/C'ing) show using PSU's with MUCH greater capacity than 430watts, you believe that the laws of electrical physics somehow cease to exist inside of your PC?

Do you know what the symptom of not having enough power power to run on looks like? You get one guess.

Also the recommendation of building outside the case is good.
  31. I'm sorry but I think i didn't made myself clear. I was trying to boot with just the processor alone, no RAM, no Hard drives and no video card (motherboard has a built in). Now if ur telling me that a motherboard and processor needs a 600Watts power supply just to boot up, then so long for energy efficient systems I guess.
  32. I think our problems are memory-related. Not bad modules, just not the RIGHT memory. Seems to be a pretty common issue w/ the Intel 965 chipset.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=55300

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36467&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=d46d54b396c13e9ded107a3cf5556cd6

And so on, and so forth. I guess I'll order something off the 'approved memory list' like I should have in the first place. Anybody want to buy 2G of DDR2 667 MHz Patriot memory? :oops:
  33. I ended up getting another board and OCZ Platinum 2GB RAM and the system works just fine, im installing windows as I type. Seems like I didnt needed any 600 Watt power supply since I do not have any major components which would be power hungry, other then the video card.
  34. Quote:
    I ended up getting another board and OCZ Platinum 2GB RAM and the system works just fine, im installing windows as I type. Seems like I didnt needed any 600 Watt power supply since I do not have any major components which would be power hungry, other then the video card.

Great. If your system isn't rock solid stable or becomes unstable, get a more powerful PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems