RPC Server unavailable

Hello,
I have recently been experiencing a problem on many of the computers on
my network. All these affected systems are having trouble logging off.
From what I have been able to find out I believe that this problem is some
how related to similar errors like this:
{AAD1D51F-1279-4831-8684-D99F99B3CC62}. The subscriber returned HRESULT
800706BA.
After some research into these problems I found that 800706BA refers to
0x800706BA which means "The RPC server is unavailable". This is where I'm
stuck......if I am understanding this right it's a problem with my Win2k
Server and or the communication between the server and the affected
machines. I also found that this is a side effect from the MSBlaster virus
because it utilizes DCom and the RPC server for it self. So I ran scans but
found nothing.

Any suggestions on how I may resolve this please?
--
-Scott

Scott-

I remember about 5 years ago I saw a page on Microsoft's support site that
went something like this:

Problem: You are recieving "RPC server is unavailable" messages.

Solution: Fix your DNS.

I kid you not man. Your domain controllers don't have all their records
registered properly or they have incorrect/stale ones registered.

One good way to fix this is on the Windows disk go to the support\tools
directory and extract netdiag.exe from the support.cab file then from the
command line on a DC type netdiag /test:dns /fix that will reregister your
DNS records and report any errors.

Hope this helps,

Nick Staff

"Scott Elgram" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have recently been experiencing a problem on many of the computers on
> my network. All these affected systems are having trouble logging off.
> From what I have been able to find out I believe that this problem is some
> how related to similar errors like this:
> {AAD1D51F-1279-4831-8684-D99F99B3CC62}. The subscriber returned HRESULT
> 800706BA.
> After some research into these problems I found that 800706BA refers to
> 0x800706BA which means "The RPC server is unavailable". This is where I'm
> stuck......if I am understanding this right it's a problem with my Win2k
> Server and or the communication between the server and the affected
> machines. I also found that this is a side effect from the MSBlaster virus
> because it utilizes DCom and the RPC server for it self. So I ran scans but
> found nothing.
>
> Any suggestions on how I may resolve this please?
> --
> -Scott

I've already ran both NetDiag of the DC and affected machines. It did not
return any failures. I then ran DCDiag on the DC which returned one error;
Starting test: MachineAccount
* MAINSERVER is not trusted for account delegation
......................... MAINSERVER failed test MachineAccount
I've gone ahead and fixed that but I've yet to determine if that solved my
problem.

-Scott

"Nick Staff" <nick.staff@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Scott-
>
> I remember about 5 years ago I saw a page on Microsoft's support site that
> went something like this:
>
> Problem: You are recieving "RPC server is unavailable" messages.
>
> Solution: Fix your DNS.
>
> I kid you not man. Your domain controllers don't have all their records
> registered properly or they have incorrect/stale ones registered.
>
> One good way to fix this is on the Windows disk go to the support\tools
> directory and extract netdiag.exe from the support.cab file then from the
> command line on a DC type netdiag /test:dns /fix that will reregister your
> DNS records and report any errors.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Nick Staff
>

> "Scott Elgram" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have recently been experiencing a problem on many of the computers
on
> > my network. All these affected systems are having trouble logging off.
> > From what I have been able to find out I believe that this problem is
some
> > how related to similar errors like this:
> > {AAD1D51F-1279-4831-8684-D99F99B3CC62}. The subscriber returned HRESULT
> > 800706BA.
> > After some research into these problems I found that 800706BA refers
> > 0x800706BA which means "The RPC server is unavailable". This is where
I'm
> > stuck......if I am understanding this right it's a problem with my Win2k
> > Server and or the communication between the server and the affected
> > machines. I also found that this is a side effect from the MSBlaster
virus
> > because it utilizes DCom and the RPC server for it self. So I ran scans
but
> > found nothing.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I may resolve this please?
> > --
> > -Scott

well hopefully it did but if it didn't let me know and i'll see what i can
come up with.

"Scott Elgram" wrote:

> I've already ran both NetDiag of the DC and affected machines. It did not
> return any failures. I then ran DCDiag on the DC which returned one error;
> Starting test: MachineAccount
> * MAINSERVER is not trusted for account delegation
> ......................... MAINSERVER failed test MachineAccount
> I've gone ahead and fixed that but I've yet to determine if that solved my
> problem.
>
> -Scott
>
> "Nick Staff" <nick.staff@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Scott-
> >
> > I remember about 5 years ago I saw a page on Microsoft's support site that
> > went something like this:
> >
> > Problem: You are recieving "RPC server is unavailable" messages.
> >
> > Solution: Fix your DNS.
> >
> > I kid you not man. Your domain controllers don't have all their records
> > registered properly or they have incorrect/stale ones registered.
> >
> > One good way to fix this is on the Windows disk go to the support\tools
> > directory and extract netdiag.exe from the support.cab file then from the
> > command line on a DC type netdiag /test:dns /fix that will reregister your
> > DNS records and report any errors.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Nick Staff
> >

> > "Scott Elgram" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I have recently been experiencing a problem on many of the computers
> on
> > > my network. All these affected systems are having trouble logging off.
> > > From what I have been able to find out I believe that this problem is
> some
> > > how related to similar errors like this:
> > > {AAD1D51F-1279-4831-8684-D99F99B3CC62}. The subscriber returned HRESULT
> > > 800706BA.
> > > After some research into these problems I found that 800706BA refers
> > > 0x800706BA which means "The RPC server is unavailable". This is where
> I'm
> > > stuck......if I am understanding this right it's a problem with my Win2k
> > > Server and or the communication between the server and the affected
> > > machines. I also found that this is a side effect from the MSBlaster
> virus
> > > because it utilizes DCom and the RPC server for it self. So I ran scans
> but
> > > found nothing.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on how I may resolve this please?
> > > --
> > > -Scott

It would appear that it did not fix my problem. I went through some of the
event logs of the affected machines and I saw the error occurring after I
had checked "Trust computer for delegation". I'm not sure if the DC needs
to be rebooted after such a change but without a re-boot the DC passes all
tests by DCDiag and NetDiag.