Can't shift-insert to paste and holding these two keys dow..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi all.

I have an interesting problem. I cannot seem to paste with RIGHT shift
and insert keys. I can with the left shift key and ctrl-v. I can use
insert (insert/over) and shift (capitalization/lowercase depending on
Caps Lock status) keys invididually.

If I hold on the right shift key and insert keys for longer than a
second, I hear PC speaker making beep. If I hold it down longer than a
second, then I hear beep, beep, beep (every one second), until I stop
holding the keys down.

I am using a standard 104-keyboard. I checked Windows 2000 SP4's
accessibility and everything seems to be disabled. Is there anywhere
else I might had missed?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst

    Phillip-

    Does your keyboard have multiple functions mapped to the insert key?
    Meaning is there some sort of FN or F Lock key on your keyboard? I'm not
    asking because I think your using the wrong key combo but because I did use
    the wrong key combo and noticed that it cleared my clipboard. My insert key
    triples as my prtscn and sysreq keys and when I accidentally tried to paste
    when the f lock was on I lost the text on my clipboard (at first I thought my
    shift insert wasn't working either).

    You sound like you've been at this for a bit so I doubt this is the solution
    for you, but maybe it will provide a clue (after trying the shift-insert
    combo can you paste using control-v without recopying the text?)

    Wish I had more to give you.

    "Phillip Pi" wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have an interesting problem. I cannot seem to paste with RIGHT shift
    > and insert keys. I can with the left shift key and ctrl-v. I can use
    > insert (insert/over) and shift (capitalization/lowercase depending on
    > Caps Lock status) keys invididually.
    >
    > If I hold on the right shift key and insert keys for longer than a
    > second, I hear PC speaker making beep. If I hold it down longer than a
    > second, then I hear beep, beep, beep (every one second), until I stop
    > holding the keys down.
    >
    > I am using a standard 104-keyboard. I checked Windows 2000 SP4's
    > accessibility and everything seems to be disabled. Is there anywhere
    > else I might had missed?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > Phillip Pi
    > Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    > Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    > Symantec Corporation
    > www.symantec.com
    > Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    > Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    > expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    > views of my employer. Thank you.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I think this post is hypercritical

    When I asked for assistance with my Symantec Antivirus 9.0.1400 Corporate
    Edition I was told that I had to supply a credit card number to get the
    answer.

    And now, a member of the Symantec organisation is asking for FREE help with
    a Windows problem in a public newsgroup.

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

    "Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have an interesting problem. I cannot seem to paste with RIGHT shift
    > and insert keys. I can with the left shift key and ctrl-v. I can use
    > insert (insert/over) and shift (capitalization/lowercase depending on
    > Caps Lock status) keys invididually.
    >
    > If I hold on the right shift key and insert keys for longer than a
    > second, I hear PC speaker making beep. If I hold it down longer than a
    > second, then I hear beep, beep, beep (every one second), until I stop
    > holding the keys down.
    >
    > I am using a standard 104-keyboard. I checked Windows 2000 SP4's
    > accessibility and everything seems to be disabled. Is there anywhere
    > else I might had missed?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > Phillip Pi
    > Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    > Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    > Symantec Corporation
    > www.symantec.com
    > Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    > Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    > expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    > views of my employer. Thank you.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    What's funny is when someone in a help forum refuses to give help and then
    calls someone else a hypocrite. That just cracks me up.

    "Crouchie1998" wrote:

    > I think this post is hypercritical
    >
    > When I asked for assistance with my Symantec Antivirus 9.0.1400 Corporate
    > Edition I was told that I had to supply a credit card number to get the
    > answer.
    >
    > And now, a member of the Symantec organisation is asking for FREE help with
    > a Windows problem in a public newsgroup.
    >
    > Crouchie1998
    > BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
    >

    > "Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
    > > Hi all.
    > >
    > > I have an interesting problem. I cannot seem to paste with RIGHT shift
    > > and insert keys. I can with the left shift key and ctrl-v. I can use
    > > insert (insert/over) and shift (capitalization/lowercase depending on
    > > Caps Lock status) keys invididually.
    > >
    > > If I hold on the right shift key and insert keys for longer than a
    > > second, I hear PC speaker making beep. If I hold it down longer than a
    > > second, then I hear beep, beep, beep (every one second), until I stop
    > > holding the keys down.
    > >
    > > I am using a standard 104-keyboard. I checked Windows 2000 SP4's
    > > accessibility and everything seems to be disabled. Is there anywhere
    > > else I might had missed?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance. :)
    > > --
    > > Phillip Pi
    > > Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    > > Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    > > Symantec Corporation
    > > www.symantec.com
    > > Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    > > Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    > > expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    > > views of my employer. Thank you.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    On 4/8/2005 7:59 PM PT, Nick Staff wrote:

    > Does your keyboard have multiple functions mapped to the insert key?
    > Meaning is there some sort of FN or F Lock key on your keyboard? I'm not
    > asking because I think your using the wrong key combo but because I did use
    > the wrong key combo and noticed that it cleared my clipboard. My insert key
    > triples as my prtscn and sysreq keys and when I accidentally tried to paste
    > when the f lock was on I lost the text on my clipboard (at first I thought my
    > shift insert wasn't working either).

    No, this keyboard does not have FN and F lock keys. It is just a plain
    old PS/2 PC104 keyboard connected to an old Pentium 3 1 Ghz system with
    512 MB of RAM.

    > You sound like you've been at this for a bit so I doubt this is the solution
    > for you, but maybe it will provide a clue (after trying the shift-insert
    > combo can you paste using control-v without recopying the text?)

    LEFT shift + insert and control-v were fine like in my original post.
    RIGHT shift + insert didn't. :( I tried watching my Windows processes
    with Process Explorer, Task Manager, RegMon, and FileMon for any clues
    but that did not show anything interesting. :(
    --
    "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
    \ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    ( )
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Phillip,

    I didn't explain my second question right - what I meant was if you copy
    text, then try pasting via the right shift and insert key, can you then paste
    with ctrl-v (I understand ctrl-v works, what I'm curious about is if the
    right shift -insert command clears your buffer).

    But more importantly than that silly question, have you tried this keyboard
    on another machine and if so what happens (if not could you try it?). Also
    have you tried another keyboard on this machine - does it work?

    Also, here's a script that will return some basic keyboard information - I'd
    suggest running it to make sure the OS hasn't incorrectly iddentified your
    keyboard. Copy the below code and paste it into a file called keyb.vbs (save
    it to c:\keyb.vbs. Go to a command prompt and type cscript c:\keyb.vbs) I
    can only verify that the code functions on windows xp so if it errors out on
    your 2k box just let me know. thanks. Nick.

    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Keyboard")
    For Each objItem in colItems
    Wscript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption
    Wscript.Echo "Description: " & objItem.Description
    Wscript.Echo "Device ID: " & objItem.DeviceID
    Wscript.Echo "Is Locked: " & objItem.IsLocked
    Wscript.Echo "Layout: " & objItem.Layout
    Wscript.Echo "Name: " & objItem.Name
    Wscript.Echo "Number of Function Keys: " & objItem.NumberOfFunctionKeys
    Wscript.Echo "Password: " & objItem.Password
    Wscript.Echo "PNP Device ID: " & objItem.PNPDeviceID
    Next

    "Ant" wrote:

    > On 4/8/2005 7:59 PM PT, Nick Staff wrote:
    >
    > > Does your keyboard have multiple functions mapped to the insert key?
    > > Meaning is there some sort of FN or F Lock key on your keyboard? I'm not
    > > asking because I think your using the wrong key combo but because I did use
    > > the wrong key combo and noticed that it cleared my clipboard. My insert key
    > > triples as my prtscn and sysreq keys and when I accidentally tried to paste
    > > when the f lock was on I lost the text on my clipboard (at first I thought my
    > > shift insert wasn't working either).
    >
    > No, this keyboard does not have FN and F lock keys. It is just a plain
    > old PS/2 PC104 keyboard connected to an old Pentium 3 1 Ghz system with
    > 512 MB of RAM.
    >

    > > You sound like you've been at this for a bit so I doubt this is the solution
    > > for you, but maybe it will provide a clue (after trying the shift-insert
    > > combo can you paste using control-v without recopying the text?)
    >
    > LEFT shift + insert and control-v were fine like in my original post.
    > RIGHT shift + insert didn't. :( I tried watching my Windows processes
    > with Process Explorer, Task Manager, RegMon, and FileMon for any clues
    > but that did not show anything interesting. :(
    > --
    > "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net (down)
    > | |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
    > \ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > ( )
    > Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    On 4/9/2005 4:41 PM PT, Nick Staff wrote:

    > I didn't explain my second question right - what I meant was if you copy
    > text, then try pasting via the right shift and insert key, can you then paste
    > with ctrl-v (I understand ctrl-v works, what I'm curious about is if the
    > right shift -insert command clears your buffer).

    IIRC, I can use the ctrl-v and left shift-insert combo keys to paste
    after using right shift-insert keys.

    > But more importantly than that silly question, have you tried this keyboard
    > on another machine and if so what happens (if not could you try it?). Also
    > have you tried another keyboard on this machine - does it work?

    Not yet. I didn't feel like rebooting my workstation computer with 45
    days of uptime. I will have to reboot on Tuesday since it is MS Update day.

    > Also, here's a script that will return some basic keyboard information - I'd
    > suggest running it to make sure the OS hasn't incorrectly iddentified your
    > keyboard. Copy the below code and paste it into a file called keyb.vbs (save

    Are you referring to the identification in Device Manager and control
    panel's keyboard settings? If so, then they appeared to be fine to me.

    > it to c:\keyb.vbs. Go to a command prompt and type cscript c:\keyb.vbs) I
    > can only verify that the code functions on windows xp so if it errors out on
    > your 2k box just let me know. thanks. Nick.
    >
    > strComputer = "."
    > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    > & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    >
    > Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Keyboard")
    > For Each objItem in colItems
    > Wscript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption
    > Wscript.Echo "Description: " & objItem.Description
    > Wscript.Echo "Device ID: " & objItem.DeviceID
    > Wscript.Echo "Is Locked: " & objItem.IsLocked
    > Wscript.Echo "Layout: " & objItem.Layout
    > Wscript.Echo "Name: " & objItem.Name
    > Wscript.Echo "Number of Function Keys: " & objItem.NumberOfFunctionKeys
    > Wscript.Echo "Password: " & objItem.Password
    > Wscript.Echo "PNP Device ID: " & objItem.PNPDeviceID
    > Next

    I will try this next week if I still have issues. :)

    >>On 4/8/2005 7:59 PM PT, Nick Staff wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does your keyboard have multiple functions mapped to the insert key?
    >>>Meaning is there some sort of FN or F Lock key on your keyboard? I'm not
    >>>asking because I think your using the wrong key combo but because I did use
    >>>the wrong key combo and noticed that it cleared my clipboard. My insert key
    >>>triples as my prtscn and sysreq keys and when I accidentally tried to paste
    >>>when the f lock was on I lost the text on my clipboard (at first I thought my
    >>>shift insert wasn't working either).
    >>
    >>No, this keyboard does not have FN and F lock keys. It is just a plain
    >>old PS/2 PC104 keyboard connected to an old Pentium 3 1 Ghz system with
    >>512 MB of RAM.
    >>

    >>>You sound like you've been at this for a bit so I doubt this is the solution
    >>>for you, but maybe it will provide a clue (after trying the shift-insert
    >>>combo can you paste using control-v without recopying the text?)
    >>
    >>LEFT shift + insert and control-v were fine like in my original post.
    >>RIGHT shift + insert didn't. :( I tried watching my Windows processes
    >>with Process Explorer, Task Manager, RegMon, and FileMon for any clues
    >>but that did not show anything interesting. :(
    --
    "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by ants
    and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes in its
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net (down)
    | |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
    \ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    ( )
    Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Madonna - Material Girl
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    On 4/9/2005 4:41 PM PT, Nick Staff wrote:

    > I didn't explain my second question right - what I meant was if you copy
    > text, then try pasting via the right shift and insert key, can you then paste
    > with ctrl-v (I understand ctrl-v works, what I'm curious about is if the
    > right shift -insert command clears your buffer).
    >
    > But more importantly than that silly question, have you tried this keyboard
    > on another machine and if so what happens (if not could you try it?). Also
    > have you tried another keyboard on this machine - does it work?
    >
    > Also, here's a script that will return some basic keyboard information - I'd
    > suggest running it to make sure the OS hasn't incorrectly iddentified your
    > keyboard. Copy the below code and paste it into a file called keyb.vbs (save
    > it to c:\keyb.vbs. Go to a command prompt and type cscript c:\keyb.vbs) I
    > can only verify that the code functions on windows xp so if it errors out on
    > your 2k box just let me know. thanks. Nick.
    >
    > strComputer = "."
    > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    > & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    >
    > Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Keyboard")
    > For Each objItem in colItems
    > Wscript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption
    > Wscript.Echo "Description: " & objItem.Description
    > Wscript.Echo "Device ID: " & objItem.DeviceID
    > Wscript.Echo "Is Locked: " & objItem.IsLocked
    > Wscript.Echo "Layout: " & objItem.Layout
    > Wscript.Echo "Name: " & objItem.Name
    > Wscript.Echo "Number of Function Keys: " & objItem.NumberOfFunctionKeys
    > Wscript.Echo "Password: " & objItem.Password
    > Wscript.Echo "PNP Device ID: " & objItem.PNPDeviceID
    > Next

    C:\test>cscript keyb.vbs
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

    Caption: Enhanced (101- or 102-key)
    Device ID: ACPI\PNP0303\3&13C0B0C5&0
    Is Locked:
    Layout: 00000409
    Name: Enhanced (101- or 102-key)
    Number of Function Keys: 12
    Password:
    PNP Device ID: ACPI\PNP0303\3&13C0B0C5&0

    I will reboot tomorrow after doing Windows Updates to see if a reboot
    fixes this. Sad to see my uptime go down. ;)
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    Symantec Corporation
    www.symantec.com
    Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    views of my employer. Thank you.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    On 4/11/2005 10:27 AM PT, Phillip Pi wrote:

    > I will reboot tomorrow after doing Windows Updates to see if a reboot
    > fixes this. Sad to see my uptime go down. ;)

    It looks like a reboot was needed after I was forced to reboot from
    yesterday's Windows Updates madness. That problem was SO bizarre. I also
    noticed right shift and right arrow was acting funny too (beeped if held
    down). I wondered what happened.

    Thanks to Nick who tried to help. :)
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    Symantec Corporation
    www.symantec.com
    Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    views of my employer. Thank you.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    On 4/13/2005 10:29 AM PT, Phillip Pi wrote:

    >> I will reboot tomorrow after doing Windows Updates to see if a reboot
    >> fixes this. Sad to see my uptime go down. ;)
    >
    > It looks like a reboot was needed after I was forced to reboot from
    > yesterday's Windows Updates madness. That problem was SO bizarre. I also
    > noticed right shift and right arrow was acting funny too (beeped if held
    > down). I wondered what happened.
    >
    > Thanks to Nick who tried to help. :)

    Heh, it happened again so I decided to switch keyboard with a newer one
    from Dell. No problems with the new one. I hooked up the problematic
    keyboard with a newer problem, then it showed the symptom again. I used
    its KVM switch to go to other computer and the problem vanished.
    Bizarre. I think this keyboard is dying. :(
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    Symantec Corporation
    www.symantec.com
    Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    views of my employer. Thank you.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    On 4/13/2005 10:29 AM PT, Phillip Pi wrote:

    >> I will reboot tomorrow after doing Windows Updates to see if a reboot
    >> fixes this. Sad to see my uptime go down. ;)
    >
    > It looks like a reboot was needed after I was forced to reboot from
    > yesterday's Windows Updates madness. That problem was SO bizarre. I also
    > noticed right shift and right arrow was acting funny too (beeped if held
    > down). I wondered what happened.
    >
    > Thanks to Nick who tried to help. :)

    Heh, it happened again so I decided to switch keyboard with a newer one
    from Dell. No problems with the new one. I hooked up the problematic
    keyboard with a newer problem, then it showed the symptom again. I used
    its KVM switch to go to other computer and the problem vanished.
    Bizarre. I think this keyboard is dying. :(
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    Norton SystemWorks (PC)
    Symantec Corporation
    www.symantec.com
    Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    views of my employer. Thank you.

Microsoft Windows