Device Mgr. mistakes wireless card for PCI device

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • PCI
  • Devices
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2005 8:11:01 PM

I have an HP Laptop that will not recognize a wireless adapter. When I try
to install a wireless device (have tried several) the device manager
identifies it as a PCI device instead of a network adapter as it should.
Having recognized it as a PCI it will not recognize the correct drivers to
finish installation. I have tried the cards on my xp laptop and all have
worked.

One of the cards that I am trying to install worked previously on this
machine. Client complained that it stopped working. I wrestled with it for
a while and then wiped and recovered with fresh and updated install of
Win2Kpro. I did this to eliminate any possibilities of malware that might be
causing me the grief.

Any thoughts? Please!

More about : device mgr mistakes wireless card pci device

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2005 1:19:03 AM

Check with the manufacturer of this device for a digitally signed Windows
2000 specific device driver for the device. Run the Update Driver wizard
using the Update Driver button, but do not let Windows 2000 automatically
detect devices. Instead, click Have Disk when prompted, and manually point
the wizard to the appropriate driver.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Howie J." wrote:
|I have an HP Laptop that will not recognize a wireless adapter. When I try
| to install a wireless device (have tried several) the device manager
| identifies it as a PCI device instead of a network adapter as it should.
| Having recognized it as a PCI it will not recognize the correct drivers to
| finish installation. I have tried the cards on my xp laptop and all have
| worked.
|
| One of the cards that I am trying to install worked previously on this
| machine. Client complained that it stopped working. I wrestled with it
for
| a while and then wiped and recovered with fresh and updated install of
| Win2Kpro. I did this to eliminate any possibilities of malware that might
be
| causing me the grief.
|
| Any thoughts? Please!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 1:09:02 PM

Dave, you are somewhat missing the pint of my problem. I have tried
installing drivers a dozen times over using every different method I can
imagine; different versions of drivers, different cards from another
manufacturer. I have also been on the phone with SMC technical support for
two different versions of their cards with no resolution. I have tried known
working d-link cards as well.

What is happening here, for sake of comparison; when I install a new card
into my xp laptop, the device manager sees it as a network adapter and allows
the installation of drivers. When I install any of the same cards to the
Win2K laptop, the device manager sees the new card as a PCI device and
henceforth will not allow the installation of drivers. My question to the
forum is, is this normal behavior for Win2K to see a 802.11b card as a PCI
device? Even if it is recognized incorrectly would this hinder the
installation of drivers?

Another question for you Dave. This laptop's OS is installed allong with
many proprietory applications using a ghost image. (The laptop is used for
diagnosing malfunctions on heavy equip) Can I do an upgrade to WinXP without
wiping the applications on the pc? I know they (the apps) will work with xp
but have never tried an upgrade from one OS to the other.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check with the manufacturer of this device for a digitally signed Windows
> 2000 specific device driver for the device. Run the Update Driver wizard
> using the Update Driver button, but do not let Windows 2000 automatically
> detect devices. Instead, click Have Disk when prompted, and manually point
> the wizard to the appropriate driver.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Howie J." wrote:
> |I have an HP Laptop that will not recognize a wireless adapter. When I try
> | to install a wireless device (have tried several) the device manager
> | identifies it as a PCI device instead of a network adapter as it should.
> | Having recognized it as a PCI it will not recognize the correct drivers to
> | finish installation. I have tried the cards on my xp laptop and all have
> | worked.
> |
> | One of the cards that I am trying to install worked previously on this
> | machine. Client complained that it stopped working. I wrestled with it
> for
> | a while and then wiped and recovered with fresh and updated install of
> | Win2Kpro. I did this to eliminate any possibilities of malware that might
> be
> | causing me the grief.
> |
> | Any thoughts? Please!

a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 2:23:23 PM

"Howie J." wrote:
| Dave, you are somewhat missing the pint of my problem. I have tried
| installing drivers a dozen times over using every different method I can
| imagine; different versions of drivers, different cards from another
| manufacturer. I have also been on the phone with SMC technical support
for
| two different versions of their cards with no resolution. I have tried
known
| working d-link cards as well.
* The pint I'm missing is; you've told us nothing more than "it will not
recognize the correct drivers"

| What is happening here, for sake of comparison; when I install a new card
| into my xp laptop, the device manager sees it as a network adapter and
allows
| the installation of drivers. When I install any of the same cards to the
| Win2K laptop, the device manager sees the new card as a PCI device and
| henceforth will not allow the installation of drivers. My question to
the
| forum is, is this normal behavior for Win2K to see a 802.11b card as a PCI
| device? Even if it is recognized incorrectly would this hinder the
| installation of drivers?
* Yes it is normal. In this case normally you can right click on the 'bang'
device and choose 'Update Driver', then at some point choose 'Have Disk'

| Another question for you Dave. This laptop's OS is installed allong with
| many proprietory applications using a ghost image. (The laptop is used
for
| diagnosing malfunctions on heavy equip) Can I do an upgrade to WinXP
without
| wiping the applications on the pc? I know they (the apps) will work with
xp
| but have never tried an upgrade from one OS to the other.
* Yes, it works. Start the upgrade process from Windows 2000. Be sure to
have on hand the normal backups of any data. For all applications installed
check the application developers web site for instructions or release notes
on upgrading the operating system.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 2:23:24 PM

Dave, thanks for your patience with me!

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

* The pint I'm missing is; you've told us nothing more than "it will not
> recognize the correct drivers

I do not know what more you would need here, but I will elaborate as best I
can.

I have the originall drivers for these devices on cd and have also
downloaded updated drivers for these devices from the manufacturer's website.

I have attempted to install the drivers by using the "have disk" function
and pointing to extracted driver folders or the appropriate folder on the cd.
In all cases that I have tried I recieve the error that windows cannot find
a driver for the device and it will not function. As I said before I have
gone throught this with the techs at SMC with no resolution. They seem to
believe that the OS is recognizing the card incorrectly as a PCI device and
that is my problem. I am asking now for your opinion if you agree with them?
Do I have a hardware issue? It cannot be the cards as they work on my xp
mache. Or is this normal for
Win2k to recognize such a card as a PCI device instead of a network adapter?

> "Howie J." wrote:
> | Dave, you are somewhat missing the pint of my problem. I have tried
> | installing drivers a dozen times over using every different method I can
> | imagine; different versions of drivers, different cards from another
> | manufacturer. I have also been on the phone with SMC technical support
> for
> | two different versions of their cards with no resolution. I have tried
> known
> | working d-link cards as well.
> * The pint I'm missing is; you've told us nothing more than "it will not
> recognize the correct drivers"
>

> | What is happening here, for sake of comparison; when I install a new card
> | into my xp laptop, the device manager sees it as a network adapter and
> allows
> | the installation of drivers. When I install any of the same cards to the
> | Win2K laptop, the device manager sees the new card as a PCI device and
> | henceforth will not allow the installation of drivers. My question to
> the
> | forum is, is this normal behavior for Win2K to see a 802.11b card as a PCI
> | device? Even if it is recognized incorrectly would this hinder the
> | installation of drivers?
> * Yes it is normal. In this case normally you can right click on the 'bang'
> device and choose 'Update Driver', then at some point choose 'Have Disk'
>

> | Another question for you Dave. This laptop's OS is installed allong with
> | many proprietory applications using a ghost image. (The laptop is used
> for
> | diagnosing malfunctions on heavy equip) Can I do an upgrade to WinXP
> without
> | wiping the applications on the pc? I know they (the apps) will work with
> xp
> | but have never tried an upgrade from one OS to the other.
> * Yes, it works. Start the upgrade process from Windows 2000. Be sure to
> have on hand the normal backups of any data. For all applications installed
> check the application developers web site for instructions or release notes
> on upgrading the operating system.
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 3:24:08 PM

If you believe the device is not connected to the pci bus then the system
bios may need to be upgraded. Check with the laptop manufacturer on this.

--

"Howie J." wrote:
| Dave, thanks for your patience with me!
| * The pint I'm missing is; you've told us nothing more than "it will not
| > recognize the correct drivers
|
| I do not know what more you would need here, but I will elaborate as best
| can.
|
| I have the originall drivers for these devices on cd and have also
| downloaded updated drivers for these devices from the manufacturer's
website.

| I have attempted to install the drivers by using the "have disk" function
| and pointing to extracted driver folders or the appropriate folder on the
cd.
| In all cases that I have tried I recieve the error that windows cannot
find
| a driver for the device and it will not function. As I said before I have
| gone throught this with the techs at SMC with no resolution. They seem to
| believe that the OS is recognizing the card incorrectly as a PCI device
and
| that is my problem. I am asking now for your opinion if you agree with
them?
| Do I have a hardware issue? It cannot be the cards as they work on my xp
| mache. Or is this normal for
| Win2k to recognize such a card as a PCI device instead of a network
adapter?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 3:24:09 PM

Dang, have flashed bios.

New problem!!!

Tried another card and system recognized it as an adapter (Yahoo!) Driver
loaded but now have new problem. Device will not start because it cannot
find enough free resources (error code 12). Searched Microsoft and found
they recommend that OS might be a problem or bios. I think I will now try to
move this OS to winxp and see if I can resolve this. BTW, I disabled as many
unused devices as I could, including the onboard nic to gain resources, no
resolution. If you can spare me one more response regarding this error
before I upgrade OS I would apprieciate it.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> If you believe the device is not connected to the pci bus then the system
> bios may need to be upgraded. Check with the laptop manufacturer on this.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Howie J." wrote:
> | Dave, thanks for your patience with me!
> | * The pint I'm missing is; you've told us nothing more than "it will not
> | > recognize the correct drivers
> |
> | I do not know what more you would need here, but I will elaborate as best
> | can.
> |
> | I have the originall drivers for these devices on cd and have also
> | downloaded updated drivers for these devices from the manufacturer's
> website.
> |

> | I have attempted to install the drivers by using the "have disk" function
> | and pointing to extracted driver folders or the appropriate folder on the
> cd.
> | In all cases that I have tried I recieve the error that windows cannot
> find
> | a driver for the device and it will not function. As I said before I have
> | gone throught this with the techs at SMC with no resolution. They seem to
> | believe that the OS is recognizing the card incorrectly as a PCI device
> and
> | that is my problem. I am asking now for your opinion if you agree with
> them?
> | Do I have a hardware issue? It cannot be the cards as they work on my xp
> | mache. Or is this normal for
> | Win2k to recognize such a card as a PCI device instead of a network
> adapter?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 4:17:55 PM

This one may also help.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=244601

The laptop may be non-ACPI system. If this is the case Windows XP won't help
the situation.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=252420

For the code 12;
In the same properties page where the error message occurs, click the
Resources tab. Windows 2000 attempts to flag the associated device that is
in conflict with the device in question. You should avoid manually assigning
resources in a Plug and Play system, because this can create potential
problems in the future as Plug and Play attempts to do its job at a later
time. Either disable or remove the device that is in conflict to see if the
device reporting the error message starts. You can then add the device you
removed back into the system and see if the device can take new resources on
its own. The following information describes how this may occur:

Plug and Play attempts to automatically assign resources to devices. It
examines a "form" that defines the resources that a device can use and draws
its choices from that list. In that same form (actually a structure in the
configuration memory space of the device) is a list of resources that the
device prefers to use. When two devices contain identical "preferred"
settings, something commonly referred to as "resource affinity" occurs.
Devices fight for possession of a specific resource, which causes a
deadlock. A similar situation is created by resource dependency
configurations. In that same form mentioned earlier, devices may define
resource dependencies. For example, "If this device is assigned x IRQ, then
use y I/O port address." The dependent resource may be in conflict with
another device causing a failure. Disabling the working (but conflicting)
device changes the order of enumeration and may force the other device to
take on new settings that are not in conflict. This behavior occurs more
often in Windows 95/98 where device enumeration occurs in a specific order,
whereas Windows 2000 multithreads enumeration enumerates all device at once.
Although multithreading helps to alleviate this problem, it may not resolve
the problem. If the procedures outlined here do not resolve the problem,
check for updated device drivers from the manufacturer before attempting to
manually assign resources to the device.

Sometimes Windows 2000 cannot detect which device is actually in conflict.
This behavior can occur because errors in the IRQ routing tables or I/O port
conflicts are created by an improperly configured PCI-to-ISA bridge.
Complete coverage of each of these concepts is outside the scope of this
article. The most common method for resolving this problem is to update the
system BIOS. On non-ACPI systems, you may be able to select an alternate IRQ
routing table source. Refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base for articles
explaining IRQ routing in Windows 2000 and how to edit the registry to
select an alternate method. Because the most common resolution in any system
BIOS update is to resolve error messages in IRQ routing, you should resolve
this problem by checking with the manufacturer of the device for an updated
system BIOS.

This behavior may also occur because of irresolvable conflicts in an ISA/PCI
mixed environment. The ISA bus is not designed with Plug and Play in mind.
Because of this, the PCI bus has no reliable way of detecting the resource
settings of ISA devices. Try removing any unneeded ISA devices in the system
to see if the device in question properly configures itself. If this works,
check the System Information tool for free resources and set the ISA device
for the appropriate configuration. In the case of a Plug and Play ISA
device, try replacing the device in an alternate ISA slot. If this does not
resolve the issue, check with the manufacturer for a digitally signed
Windows 2000 device driver for the ISA device. You can also try starting
into the system BIOS and setting the resources for the ISA device as
Reserved by (or for) ISA. This action may manually remove the use of the
resource in question from the Plug and Play equation. If none of these
recommendations resolves the problem, you may have to find a PCI version of
the ISA device.

--

"Howie J." wrote:
| Dang, have flashed bios.
|
| New problem!!!
|
| Tried another card and system recognized it as an adapter (Yahoo!) Driver
| loaded but now have new problem. Device will not start because it cannot
| find enough free resources (error code 12). Searched Microsoft and found
| they recommend that OS might be a problem or bios. I think I will now try
| move this OS to winxp and see if I can resolve this. BTW, I disabled as
many
| unused devices as I could, including the onboard nic to gain resources, no
| resolution. If you can spare me one more response regarding this error
| before I upgrade OS I would apprieciate it.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 18, 2005 7:33:07 PM

Howie-

I'm sure by now you've wiped the machine, but in case you haven't here's my
two cents.

I recently got the same error code as you are getting and after disabling
devices, changing whether BIOS or plug and play assigns IRQ's, and asking
myself "why does the KB article say to change the IRQ in device manager for
the device getting the error when the resource tab of the device reads 'not
using any resources, driver has not been loaded' and so there's nothing to
change?" I realized it was caused by an incorrect driver. I'm not saying you
used the wrong driver (though that's what I "might" have done), but maybe
just try an older version? (I know you said in an earlier post you'd tried
many versions but I didn't know if that applied to this new device).

And just for the record Dave, there was no need to get defensive in your
second post. If you re-read Howie's first post you will I'm sure agree that
you did miss the point because Howie said his problem was that Windows was
incorrectly identifying his device - he only mentioned the drivers not
installing as a "proof of concept" to show that Windows really didn't see the
correct hardware. For example if Windows saw your network card as a monitor
then you could have network drivers that were logo'd and Windows would still
say the location didn't contain any drivers for your device.

Nick Staff

!