Operating System Error

Hi All,

I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000 system:

"File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".

Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
error message:

"Error loading operating system".

I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without any
luck.

Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or would I
have to install the operating system once again.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

DRTP
4 answers Last reply
More about operating system error

    DRTP wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000 system:
    >
    > "File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".
    >
    > Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
    > error message:
    >
    > "Error loading operating system".
    >
    > I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without any
    > luck.
    >
    > Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or would I
    > have to install the operating system once again.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > DRTP

    I would start worrying about backing up the data and other
    important information that is stored on this hard drive and
    the potential need to replace it.

    "GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message

    > DRTP wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000
    system:

    > > "File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".
    > >
    > > Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
    > > error message:
    > >
    > > "Error loading operating system".
    > >
    > > I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without
    any
    > > luck.
    > >
    > > Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or
    would I
    > > have to install the operating system once again.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > DRTP
    > >

    > I would start worrying about backing up the data and other
    > important information that is stored on this hard drive and
    > the potential need to replace it.

    I would agree with GHalleck's appraisal but would like to add that I've seen
    Identical behaviour resulting from a bad memory module.

    POST messages should show that shouldn't they?

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:WPX5e.3881699$Zm5.620773@news.easynews.com...

    > "GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > DRTP wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I started receiving the following error message on a Windows 2000
    > system:
    > > >
    > > > "File C:\?????? unreadable or corrupt run chckdsk".
    > > >
    > > > Following this upon starting up the computer I am getting the following
    > > > error message:
    > > >
    > > > "Error loading operating system".
    > > >
    > > > I tried to use the Windows repair options on the recovery CD but without
    > any
    > > > luck.
    > > >
    > > > Can you please let me know whether there is a way of fixing this or
    > would I
    > > > have to install the operating system once again.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > DRTP
    > > >

    > > I would start worrying about backing up the data and other
    > > important information that is stored on this hard drive and
    > > the potential need to replace it.
    > >

    > I would agree with GHalleck's appraisal but would like to add that I've seen
    > Identical behaviour resulting from a bad memory module.

    POST typically does not do a comprehensive memory test, most times just
    a memory "count" is performed to see how much is attached.

    George Hester wrote:

    > POST messages should show that shouldn't they?

    "Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> I would agree with GHalleck's appraisal but would like to add that I've seen
    >> Identical behaviour resulting from a bad memory module.

System Error Error Message Windows