Grainy/speckly video with Logitech Quickcam communicate

Hi,
As u see from my subject my video is grainy and has speckles on it. I'm just
not sure if its supossed to be like that or if theres somehting wrong with
the cam. I can set the gain to lower values which makes it batter, but then
it needs more light, but with lower gain theres alot less grain and
speckles.
Im just wondering if this is normal for this cam, if it is then im alright
with it,I just neeed to know if its normal or not. ok thanks and hope
someone has some input on this. and if you have some suggestions on getting
the picture quality better just let me know.
Simon-Pierre
*by the way im on cable highspeed
3 answers Last reply
More about grainy speckly video logitech quickcam communicate

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:10:07 -0500, "Simon-Pierre"
    <spb137@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >As u see from my subject my video is grainy and has speckles on it. I'm just
    >not sure if its supossed to be like that or if theres somehting wrong with
    >the cam. I can set the gain to lower values which makes it batter, but then
    >it needs more light, but with lower gain theres alot less grain and
    >speckles.
    >Im just wondering if this is normal for this cam, if it is then im alright
    >with it,I just neeed to know if its normal or not. ok thanks and hope
    >someone has some input on this. and if you have some suggestions on getting
    >the picture quality better just let me know.
    >Simon-Pierre
    >*by the way im on cable highspeed

    Most of these types of cams need a lot of good lighting.

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:10:07 -0500, Bob Horvath wrote:

    It probably will depend on which Logitech camera you have. My daughter
    has the Quickcam Messenger, and I have a Quickcam Pro 4000 and my
    camera runs circles around hers. There is a very noticible difference.

    Simon-Pierre wrote:
    > Hi,
    > As u see from my subject my video is grainy and has speckles on it. I'm just
    > not sure if its supossed to be like that or if theres somehting wrong with
    > the cam. I can set the gain to lower values which makes it batter, but then
    > it needs more light, but with lower gain theres alot less grain and
    > speckles.
    > Im just wondering if this is normal for this cam, if it is then im alright
    > with it,I just neeed to know if its normal or not. ok thanks and hope
    > someone has some input on this. and if you have some suggestions on getting
    > the picture quality better just let me know.
    > Simon-Pierre
    > *by the way im on cable highspeed

    Bob Horvath is right. Most low to medium priced cameras have a cmos
    device as an image sensor while the Logitech Pro 4000 has a CCD device
    (the same sort of device that is found in digital cameras). The cmos
    devices need a lot of light to function well, but they still will not
    match a CCD sensor and graininess and speckes are 'normal' for these
    devices under, what they consider, to be 'low light' levels.

Webcams Quickcam Video Logitech Peripherals Product