Hotkey Assignment and Windows Explorer

Hi again everyone,

I hope this problem will be an easy one ...

I’m trying to assign a hotkey combo (ALT+CONTROL+X)
to bring up Windows Explorer. I can get one instance
of it OK, but I want a new instance of it every time
I hit the hotkey combo.

It works OK on my primary PC (I can get additional
instances of Win Exp every time I hit the combo),
but not on my secondary PC. What baffles me is that
the property boxes are identical on both PC’s.

Is there a command line option that will tell
Win Exp to create a new instance of itself
even if there already is an instance(s) active?

Can anyone clue me in?

TIA.

- Sam
10 answers Last reply
More about hotkey assignment windows explorer

    Make sure that the target line in the shortcut contains the /n option,
    something like

    D:\WINNT\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:56:14 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com> wrote:

    >Make sure that the target line in the shortcut contains the /n option,
    >something like
    >
    >D:\WINNT\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e

    Hi Gary,

    It didn't work.

    I'm going to look into the possibility of using CMD
    in resolving this.

    I can put the command "explorer" in a batch file,
    create a shortcut to the batchfile for the desktop,
    then assign a hotkey to the shortcut, and it works OK
    - not very elegant - but it works.

    -SAM
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    >SAM <wylbur[at]ev1[dot]net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi again everyone,
    >
    >> I hope this problem will be an easy one ...
    >
    >> I?m trying to assign a hotkey combo (ALT+CONTROL+X)
    >> to bring up Windows Explorer. I can get one instance
    >> of it OK, but I want a new instance of it every time
    >> I hit the hotkey combo.
    >
    >> It works OK on my primary PC (I can get additional
    >> instances of Win Exp every time I hit the combo),
    >> but not on my secondary PC. What baffles me is that
    >> the property boxes are identical on both PC?s.
    >
    >> Is there a command line option that will tell
    >> Win Exp to create a new instance of itself
    >> even if there already is an instance(s) active?
    >
    >> Can anyone clue me in?
    >

    >> TIA.
    >

    >> - Sam

    - Sam

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:20:28 -0500, SAM <wylbur[at]ev1[dot]net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:56:14 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Make sure that the target line in the shortcut contains the /n option,
    >>something like
    >>
    >>D:\WINNT\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e
    >
    >Hi Gary,
    >
    >It didn't work.
    >
    >I'm going to look into the possibility of using CMD
    >in resolving this.

    CRUD - nothing there does me any good.

    >I can put the command "explorer" in a batch file,
    >create a shortcut to the batchfile for the desktop,
    >then assign a hotkey to the shortcut, and it works OK
    > - not very elegant - but it works.

    *DOUBLE* CRUD - now even THIS has stopped working.

    Does anyone know where the hotkey entries are made
    in the registry?

    Maybe this would yield something useful.

    -SAM
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    >>SAM <wylbur[at]ev1[dot]net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi again everyone,
    >>
    >>> I hope this problem will be an easy one ...
    >>
    >>> I?m trying to assign a hotkey combo (ALT+CONTROL+X)
    >>> to bring up Windows Explorer. I can get one instance
    >>> of it OK, but I want a new instance of it every time
    >>> I hit the hotkey combo.
    >>
    >>> It works OK on my primary PC (I can get additional
    >>> instances of Win Exp every time I hit the combo),
    >>> but not on my secondary PC. What baffles me is that
    >>> the property boxes are identical on both PC?s.
    >>
    >>> Is there a command line option that will tell
    >>> Win Exp to create a new instance of itself
    >>> even if there already is an instance(s) active?
    >>
    >>> Can anyone clue me in?
    >>

    >>> TIA.
    >>

    >>> - Sam
    >
    >- Sam

    - Sam

    *TRIPLE* CRUD - Windows Explorer is crashing even when I just look at it.

    (See post in other thread.)

    - SAM
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:24:25 -0500, SAM <wylbur[at]ev1[dot]net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:20:28 -0500, SAM <wylbur[at]ev1[dot]net> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:56:14 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Make sure that the target line in the shortcut contains the /n option,
    >>>something like
    >>>
    >>>D:\WINNT\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e
    >>
    >>Hi Gary,
    >>
    >>It didn't work.
    >>
    >>I'm going to look into the possibility of using CMD
    >>in resolving this.
    >
    >CRUD - nothing there does me any good.
    >

    >>I can put the command "explorer" in a batch file,
    >>create a shortcut to the batchfile for the desktop,
    >>then assign a hotkey to the shortcut, and it works OK
    >> - not very elegant - but it works.
    >
    >*DOUBLE* CRUD - now even THIS has stopped working.
    >

    >Does anyone know where the hotkey entries are made
    >in the registry?
    >
    >Maybe this would yield something useful.
    >
    >-SAM
    >-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    >>- Sam
    >
    >- Sam

    - Sam

    Sounds like you have troubles that are deeper than simple registry
    settings. You'd best undertake a search for malware, because it sure
    sounds to me like you've picked up something nasty.

    Using the "/n" option in the shortcut has always worked for me, even with
    the "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" option checked. You may have
    contracted one of the "can't open a second window" problems that have been
    so common lately.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    SAM fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > Hi again everyone,
    >
    > I hope this problem will be an easy one ...
    >
    > I'm trying to assign a hotkey combo (ALT+CONTROL+X)
    > to bring up Windows Explorer. I can get one instance
    > of it OK, but I want a new instance of it every time
    > I hit the hotkey combo.
    >
    > It works OK on my primary PC (I can get additional
    > instances of Win Exp every time I hit the combo),
    > but not on my secondary PC. What baffles me is that
    > the property boxes are identical on both PC's.
    >
    > Is there a command line option that will tell
    > Win Exp to create a new instance of itself
    > even if there already is an instance(s) active?
    >
    > Can anyone clue me in?
    >

    > TIA.

    Out of interest is there a reason why you don't just use the built in
    Windows Key + E ?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:55:57 +0100, "Steve Parry [MVP]" <k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >SAM fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    >
    >> Hi again everyone,
    >>
    >> I hope this problem will be an easy one ...
    >>
    >> I'm trying to assign a hotkey combo (ALT+CONTROL+X)
    >> to bring up Windows Explorer. I can get one instance
    >> of it OK, but I want a new instance of it every time
    >> I hit the hotkey combo.
    >>
    >> It works OK on my primary PC (I can get additional
    >> instances of Win Exp every time I hit the combo),
    >> but not on my secondary PC. What baffles me is that
    >> the property boxes are identical on both PC's.
    >>
    >> Is there a command line option that will tell
    >> Win Exp to create a new instance of itself
    >> even if there already is an instance(s) active?
    >>
    >> Can anyone clue me in?
    >>

    >> TIA.
    >
    >Out of interest is there a reason why you don't just use the built in
    >Windows Key + E ?

    Hi Steve,

    When I do that, Windows Explorer crashes.

    When I click (repeatedly) on the desktop icon,
    it doesn't.

    Now I just have to figure out a way to get
    a hotkey combo to operate on the desktop icon.

    ... or some other option that doesn't cause
    Windows Explorer to crash.

    - Sam
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:12:25 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com> wrote:

    >Sounds like you have troubles that are deeper than simple registry
    >settings. You'd best undertake a search for malware, because it sure
    >sounds to me like you've picked up something nasty.
    >
    >Using the "/n" option in the shortcut has always worked for me, even with
    >the "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" option checked. You may have
    >contracted one of the "can't open a second window" problems that have been
    >so common lately.

    I have AVG anti-virus and Kerio firewall installed,
    along with Ad-Aware, Registry Mechanic, and PCBugDoctor.

    Do you have any recomendations?

    SAM
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    >SAM <wylbur[at]ev1[dot]net> wrote:
    >
    >> *TRIPLE* CRUD - Windows Explorer is crashing even when I just look at it.
    >
    >> (See post in other thread.)
    >
    >> - SAM
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    >>>CRUD - nothing there does me any good.

    >>>*DOUBLE* CRUD - now even THIS has stopped working.
    >>>

    >>>Does anyone know where the hotkey entries are made
    >>>in the registry?
    >>>
    >>>Maybe this would yield something useful.
    >>>
    >>>-SAM
    >>>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    >>>- Sam
    >
    >> - Sam

    - Sam
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    SAM fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:12:25 -0700, Gary Smith
    > <bitbucket@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like you have troubles that are deeper than simple registry
    >> settings. You'd best undertake a search for malware, because it sure
    >> sounds to me like you've picked up something nasty.
    >>
    >> Using the "/n" option in the shortcut has always worked for me, even
    >> with the "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" option checked.
    >> You may have contracted one of the "can't open a second window"
    >> problems that have been so common lately.
    >
    > I have AVG anti-virus and Kerio firewall installed,
    > along with Ad-Aware, Registry Mechanic, and PCBugDoctor.
    >
    > Do you have any recomendations?

    Spybot and Spyware Blaster

    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Steve Parry [MVP] <k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
    > SAM fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    >> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:12:25 -0700, Gary Smith
    >> <bitbucket@example.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sounds like you have troubles that are deeper than simple registry
    >>> settings. You'd best undertake a search for malware, because it sure
    >>> sounds to me like you've picked up something nasty.
    >>>
    >>> Using the "/n" option in the shortcut has always worked for me, even
    >>> with the "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" option checked.
    >>> You may have contracted one of the "can't open a second window"
    >>> problems that have been so common lately.
    >>
    >> I have AVG anti-virus and Kerio firewall installed,
    >> along with Ad-Aware, Registry Mechanic, and PCBugDoctor.
    >>
    >> Do you have any recomendations?
    >>

    > Spybot and Spyware Blaster

    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

    I believe (but of course cannot prove) that Spyware Blaster is responsible
    for keeping my system clean. Ad-Aware finds the occasional tracking
    cookie, but never anything serious, Spybot has never found anything for
    me that Ad-Aware didn't.

    I'd suggest that in addition to the others, you get Hijack This and run a
    scan. It lists everything, good and bad, that has attached itself or been
    attached to your system. It takes a bit of work to analyze the report,
    but you should be able to identify everything on it. Anything that you
    can't identifiy and verify as beneficial is a candidate for removal.

    http://www.merijn.org/
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

Windows Explorer Microsoft Command Line Windows