scheduled tasks list

when we browse a server by giving \\servername or \\ipaddress it lists all
the scheduled tasks in it. how do i hide this list.

my server o/s is windows 2000 advanced server.
any quick help is appreciated.

I'll try to look for a better solution (I would think there is one) but for
now the best I can do is tell you what key to delete in the registry of your
workstations to prevent them from displaying the Scheduled Tasks folder when
browsing your server

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

***Note I don't know if this has any bad effects. I figgured it was a
namespace and checked out the relevant entries in the registry, found this
key, deleted it and it did the trick. Is it the MS reccomended solution? I
don't know.

You could implement this by adding a line to your logon script that deleted
the above referenced key. Remember this has to be done on every machine you
want to stop from seeing the scheduled tasks folder.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Nicholas Staff

"sridhar" wrote:

> when we browse a server by giving \\servername or \\ipaddress it lists all
> the scheduled tasks in it. how do i hide this list.
>
> my server o/s is windows 2000 advanced server.
> any quick help is appreciated.

hi nick

thanks for your reply. but as you said, this has to be done in each
workstation. moreover
we have seven sites connected to this server and it is not possible for me
to do in all
these workstations as some of these workstations are maintained by someone
else also.

so. as you have said, can you pls. find a way by which it can be hidden in
the server itself.
your quick help is appreciated.

regards

"Nick Staff" wrote:

> I'll try to look for a better solution (I would think there is one) but for
> now the best I can do is tell you what key to delete in the registry of your
> workstations to prevent them from displaying the Scheduled Tasks folder when
> browsing your server
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
>
> ***Note I don't know if this has any bad effects. I figgured it was a
> namespace and checked out the relevant entries in the registry, found this
> key, deleted it and it did the trick. Is it the MS reccomended solution? I
> don't know.
>
> You could implement this by adding a line to your logon script that deleted
> the above referenced key. Remember this has to be done on every machine you
> want to stop from seeing the scheduled tasks folder.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nicholas Staff
>
> "sridhar" wrote:
>
> > when we browse a server by giving \\servername or \\ipaddress it lists all
> > the scheduled tasks in it. how do i hide this list.
> >
> > my server o/s is windows 2000 advanced server.
> > any quick help is appreciated.

I have to go to sleep but the quickest 'quick' fix can give you is that you
could try giving your scheduled tasks generic names and then in group policy
using computer configuration admin templates to restrict viewing of task
properties, etc. Sorry, if you need more specifics let me know and I'll
provide them tomorrow.

If you figgure this one out please post the solution as I'd be curious to
hear it.

nick

"sridhar" wrote:

> hi nick
>
> thanks for your reply. but as you said, this has to be done in each
> workstation. moreover
> we have seven sites connected to this server and it is not possible for me
> to do in all
> these workstations as some of these workstations are maintained by someone
> else also.
>
> so. as you have said, can you pls. find a way by which it can be hidden in
> the server itself.
> your quick help is appreciated.
>
> regards
>

> "Nick Staff" wrote:
>
> > I'll try to look for a better solution (I would think there is one) but for
> > now the best I can do is tell you what key to delete in the registry of your
> > workstations to prevent them from displaying the Scheduled Tasks folder when
> > browsing your server
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
> >
> > ***Note I don't know if this has any bad effects. I figgured it was a
> > namespace and checked out the relevant entries in the registry, found this
> > key, deleted it and it did the trick. Is it the MS reccomended solution? I
> > don't know.
> >
> > You could implement this by adding a line to your logon script that deleted
> > the above referenced key. Remember this has to be done on every machine you
> > want to stop from seeing the scheduled tasks folder.
> >
> > Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Nicholas Staff
> >
> > "sridhar" wrote:
> >
> > > when we browse a server by giving \\servername or \\ipaddress it lists all
> > > the scheduled tasks in it. how do i hide this list.
> > >
> > > my server o/s is windows 2000 advanced server.
> > > any quick help is appreciated.

by the way, I just disabled the tesk scheduler service on a server and the
folder still sppears when browsing via a client. This is because the
namespace key is set locally so regardless of server config the client will
see the folder unless the registry key I mentioned earlier is removed.

"sridhar" wrote:

> hi nick
>
> thanks for your reply. but as you said, this has to be done in each
> workstation. moreover
> we have seven sites connected to this server and it is not possible for me
> to do in all
> these workstations as some of these workstations are maintained by someone
> else also.
>
> so. as you have said, can you pls. find a way by which it can be hidden in
> the server itself.
> your quick help is appreciated.
>
> regards
>

> "Nick Staff" wrote:
>
> > I'll try to look for a better solution (I would think there is one) but for
> > now the best I can do is tell you what key to delete in the registry of your
> > workstations to prevent them from displaying the Scheduled Tasks folder when
> > browsing your server
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
> >
> > ***Note I don't know if this has any bad effects. I figgured it was a
> > namespace and checked out the relevant entries in the registry, found this
> > key, deleted it and it did the trick. Is it the MS reccomended solution? I
> > don't know.
> >
> > You could implement this by adding a line to your logon script that deleted
> > the above referenced key. Remember this has to be done on every machine you
> > want to stop from seeing the scheduled tasks folder.
> >
> > Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Nicholas Staff
> >
> > "sridhar" wrote:
> >
> > > when we browse a server by giving \\servername or \\ipaddress it lists all
> > > the scheduled tasks in it. how do i hide this list.
> > >
> > > my server o/s is windows 2000 advanced server.
> > > any quick help is appreciated.

hi nick

the task scheduler service lets you run these tasks. so disabling this
service will not hide
the scheduled tasks folder while browsing. i think there should be a way. if
i get the answer
i shall definitely post here. if you find somthing let us know.