P5B-e plus wont boot, no sound, or screen

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I just got a p5B-e plus (1,01g though), everything is connected, but it wont boot. the screen dosent register anything, there is no data comming that way, also it makes no sound at all, no beeps or anything. all the fans ar spinning, but after a while it powers off.

i use a C2D E6600 (stepping a, aint i just lucky with the revisions here :( )
and 2 GB of dualchannel ddrII6400 corsair ram (twin2x)

could i have fried the board? if it was the ram wouldent i get some error message? i tried 2 different E6600 allready, that i know work i another computer. I even tried an old pci geforce2 to make sure it wasent the new pci-e16x geforce.

plz. help
lars

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
thanks

intel E6600

2gb dualchanel corsair kit. XMS2 DDR2 extreme perfomance. 5-5-5-12 800 Mhz. it says XMs6405v5.1,

and then the asus p5b-e plus. (1.01g)

inno3d geforce 7600GT

do you need to know anything else about the ram? or anything? i think i listed it all.

chogo

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Things to check:

1) Make sure that the HSF is properly attached to the CPU. This is a common problem so push firmly on each leg before locking it into the motherboard. Are you using stock or aftermarket HSF?

2) I believe that your ram requires 1.9V while the JEDEC spec is 1.8V. You may need to borrow a stick from a friend and boot with that and then increase the DIMM voltage to 1.9V. Have you tried booting with a single stick of ram? Afterwards, you should update the BIOS as soon as possible.

3) Could also be an issue with case's power on/off or reset button. So take the front of the case off (carefully) and check for pinched wires or bent pins on the power & reset buttons.

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
hmm im starting to think that the Ram is the probelm. the RAM is Corsair TWIN 2X2048-6400and they need 1.9v. is that a problem? isit fixable with a bios update. i sendt the mobo back, Since it never stated anything but it being able to run dualchannel ddrII 6400.

chogo

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
The (very) old BIOS's expected 1.8V according to the JEDEC spec, however, most newer BIOS's have been fixed to check the ram's SPD and adjust the voltage accordingly.

Did you try boot with a single stick of ram? Sometimes this will allow it to boot so that you can enter the BIOS and adjust the DIMM voltage to 1.9V. Alternatively, you could borrow a single stick of DDR2-533/667 ram that uses 1.8V and try that.

Almost all modern C2D MBs support dual channel mode.

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Yes i only used one stick. then two. with the same result. i got a friend to try my CPU and it runs great. the same goes for the Geforce card. im not all that sure its the psu, since i tryed to boot with minimum atachments. keyboard/mouse, ide HD, geforce7600gt, the one ram. and cpu with fan. thats it. i also tried a pci geforce2mx, and both one and two ram dimms. so there should be more then enought power. I have read a lot lately about the board being picky about Ram though.

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
thank you all, for your replies. the reseller is cheking the p5b for flaws, if they dont find any i might be able to exchange it for a gigabit DS4. anyway again thx all for the help :)

monk24c

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Is the CPU power plugged in well? The 4 pin plug on the top left of the board that says "EATX12V". Without that the machine will give the behaviour you describe (i.e. not boot).
Ciao,
Monk

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
thanks. I pluged in tight. Im an using a Y slitter for the CPU power plug, since the board has an 8 pin plug and my PSU only has a 4 pin connector. however im not really putting a load on the power consummtion, so it shoul be fine. Its a 550w LC power PSU. i should even be fine with a 400w acording to asus specs. is it an absolute must to have the 8 pin CPU power conector on two seperate rails? (eg: 4x4 pin)