Help installing new SATA drive

kittcg

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I hooked up my new sata drive, but when I attempt to boot the sytem up, it just hangs up before making it to windows. I'm using the onboard sata connection with an nForce board.

What would make it hang up before ever making it to windows and what can I do to fix it?

Under the bios settings it recognizes the drive as the 3rd master. 1st master is the current drive, 2nd master is the cd/dvd, 3rd master is the new maxtor drive.

There is an option in many new Mobos to provide Legacy IDE emulation to SATA drives. This helps with compatibility issues.

Do you use a sata power connection from the PSU? Or a converter from a 4 pin connector?

Have you checked the boot order? Some Mobos change the boot order to reflect the newest drive added to the system (ASUS i am pointing at you).

What OS and what mobo are you using?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I hooked up my new sata drive, but when I attempt to boot the sytem up, it just hangs up before making it to windows. I'm using the onboard sata connection with an nForce board.

What would make it hang up before ever making it to windows and what can I do to fix it?

Under the bios settings it recognizes the drive as the 3rd master. 1st master is the current drive, 2nd master is the cd/dvd, 3rd master is the new maxtor drive.

Set the boot order so the drive with the operating system gets hit first.

kittcg

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Thanks abunch. I had the cd drive as the first place to boot and the Maxtor CD would lock up the loading for some reason. It's running great now.

Now to go through that FAQ on moving Windows from one HD to another. Wish me luck!