Can't migrate system to new machine

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 10, 2005 3:09:57 PM

I posted this elsewhere, but this group is way more active...

I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K. I
only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under linux
(turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK after
I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed. Added a
5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the c:\ drive and
some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.

This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several minutes
each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal settings'
screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from the
April 2004 CD. Deleted everything I could think of, but no change.

Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the blue
STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K CD,
all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.

Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen. Tried
original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in faster
machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the BIOS
only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to be.
Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.

Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about win2K
running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be true?
I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C: it
will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish room
anyway.

Help!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Yahoo has released its own search engine. For more info,

More about : migrate system machine

April 11, 2005 2:59:47 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125
You will have to repair the win2k installation.
You cannot move a win2k/winxp installation to another sys, without repairing
the installation.

"The Real Bev" <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I posted this elsewhere, but this group is way more active...
>
> I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K.
> only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under linux
> (turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK
after
> I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
> installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed.
Added a
> 5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
> except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the c:\ drive
and
> some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.
>
> This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several
minutes
> each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal settings'
> screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from the
> April 2004 CD. Deleted everything I could think of, but no change.
>
> Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the
blue
> STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K
CD,
> all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.
>
> Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen. Tried
> original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
> Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in
faster
> machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the BIOS
> only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to be.
> Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.
>
> Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about win2K
> running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be
true?
> I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C:
it
> will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish room
> anyway.
>
> Help!
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "Yahoo has released its own search engine. For more info,
> type 'yahoo search engine' into Google." -D.Miller
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:59:48 AM

DL wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

Those were not precisely applicable :-(

> You will have to repair the win2k installation.
> You cannot move a win2k/winxp installation to another sys, without repairing
> the installation.

Yes. I repaired the system several times using the win2K cdrom. Each time
the resulting "repaired" system refused to boot. I was only able to run a
given hd with a running win2K installation in the machine in which I created
the installation. Are you telling me that it is NOT possible to move a
running win2K HD to a different machine?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Yahoo has released its own search engine. For more info,
type 'yahoo search engine' into Google." -D.Miller
Related resources
April 11, 2005 12:45:22 PM

If I'm reading your initial post correctly, the second link is applicable.
Since the hardware/mobo of the new sys is different than the origonal sys,
on which win2k was installed.

You cannot, in nearly every case install win2k on a sys, then either move
the installation hd to another sys, or for that matter change the mobo,
without performing the repair of the win2k installation.
(In order for a move not to require a repair, both origonal hardware and new
would have to be identical)

This applies to winxp also.

If having performed the repair install your sys still will not boot, then it
is likely some form of hardware conflict.
You could try with a bare sys, ie Keyb, mouse,single mem.stick,single hd,
monitor,no cards/other devices.

> [...]
be.
> > > Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.
> > >
> > > Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about
win2K
> > > running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be
> > true?
> > > I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on
C:
> > it
> > > will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish
room
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > Help!
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "Yahoo has released its own search engine. For more info,
> type 'yahoo search engine' into Google." -D.Miller
April 11, 2005 11:16:16 PM

DL wrote:

> If I'm reading your initial post correctly, the second link is applicable.

Yes, upon re-reading it I see that you're right. Thanks, and sorry for
doubting you.

> Since the hardware/mobo of the new sys is different than the origonal sys,
> on which win2k was installed.

Someone else suggested removing all the devices with the device manager,
shutting down, making the switch, and letting it find all the new hardware.
Is that functionally the same? I find either/both ideas terrifying :-(

The machine is back running the way it was, with a third HD added (containing
the new win2K system, but with lots of space left over), and I am reluctant to
try fixing it if it ain't broken. I will, however, save this information for
when it becomes essential to do deal with it.

> You cannot, in nearly every case install win2k on a sys, then either move
> the installation hd to another sys, or for that matter change the mobo,
> without performing the repair of the win2k installation.
> (In order for a move not to require a repair, both origonal hardware and new
> would have to be identical)
>
> This applies to winxp also.
>
> If having performed the repair install your sys still will not boot, then it
> is likely some form of hardware conflict.

I did several repair-with-win2k-cdrom procedures, but without the
apparently-essential machine-swap in the middle.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I have moved an o/s many times, and/or significantly amended hardware. I've
never had a problem with a repair install.
Though if ammending hardware I prefer to take it one change at a time.

!