Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Needing router with range

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 5, 2006 7:29:53 PM

Hey everyone, I am needing a router than has capabilities of going about 500ft. My brother moved in next door and is needing an internet connection, but with his current job he can't afford anything here (broadband prices are very high here). He's on a tight budget, so he can't really spend any more than $200 for this network setup right now. I am using a D-Link Gamer's lounge DGL-4100 (the wired version), and would like to keep using it for the computers in my house, and maybe try to connect the wireless router to it. I am new to wireless networking, and would like to know what router I need, as well as adapters, and if there's anything else like booster's and what not... Thanks for the help.

More about : needing router range

June 5, 2006 7:55:40 PM

All you need is a AP with removable antennas. This is need to connect external beam antenna. Your coax length need to be less than 9 ft, shorter the better. Here is a link ( to a source of external antennas used in industry.

You will need one on each end. I would recomend buying 2 AP's, setting one up as a Client (your brother). You could set them up as a bridge if he has multiple computer to connect and you want to share resources ( files, printer ...).
July 26, 2006 1:41:36 PM

Do you have any recommendations for just a good range router that can be used with an internal laptop wifi reciever. It would only need to be b or g and thruput would`t need to be superior, just enough to use the internet for basics. I want to have my router be able to provide internet access to my mother in laws laptop and the house is right next door. Maybe 50 feet between the homes. I would prefer to just use it inside and not have to mount exterior antennas and such. Would the Rangemax or Belkin routers be suitable for this type of range.

Thanks, Steve
Related resources
July 26, 2006 6:51:03 PM

I just read a articel saying the rangemax pre 11n had problems after 50 ft. Belkin, I would not even consider any thing they make. All of my dealings with them, they were not reliable. Everyone I worked on had to go back, and exchanged for a linksys.

If you are wanting to connect 2 houses together 50ft apart is going to be hard unless the house are not brick, and do not have the foil rap insulation in the walls. You are going to need a seperate AP, mainly because it will be cheaper in the long run. But the time you upgraded all of the antennas to highgain.

Is the router going to be in the same room with the pc's? And is the wireless need to cover a differnt secion of your house?

If your wireless pc is going to be near the router most will work. But when you try to brige building/houses things start changing. It you want to do it with a combo unit. Buy a old model WRT54g (version 2 - 4). Do NOT BUY a V5 Model. Then you can reload the firmware with aftermaket version. These old model have replaceable antenna. replace both with there 7dbi high gains. Set it up at the wall closes to your mother-in-laws house. These highgain antenna should reach and provide service to the remote house. A twin antennal concentrates the signal front to back, Side coverage is minimal.

If you are unable to cover the remote house you may need to add a repeter to boost the siginal inside her house.
July 26, 2006 8:38:02 PM

linksys wrt-300n not 500 feet indoors unless put near a hall but some very powerful stuff.
July 26, 2006 9:07:59 PM

It reads 50 feet
July 27, 2006 12:22:48 AM

Hey everyone, I am needing a router than has capabilities of going about 500ft.

July 27, 2006 2:55:19 AM

If you want to that distance you will run in to other problems too. Called timing, lag. Get 2 old WRT54G v 2-4, load the dd-wrt firmware. You will need to change the low gain antennas for parbolic or kagi type. Set the router into bridge mode / wds. Aim them at each other and see what happens. These older router can some times be picked up pretty cheap from ebay. The antennas will run around $50 ea.

If you want to expand your current system add a AP if you have a free port.

The antenna will be the key if it will work or not.
July 27, 2006 11:46:33 AM

You could also just buy a cable (if you can find one that is long enough), and use that instead of Wireless :)