Changing serial numbers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Hi,

We recentely purchased a new server with 2003 server std as OS, however, the
server was delivered with 2003 SBE, which we could not use. Our hardware
supplier 'lent' a licence and key to help us get started while waiting for
the correct licence. We now have the correct licence in hand and tried to
update from the 'borrowed' number to our own purcheased licence. This is
proving to be quiet a challenge!

Has anyone done this before and succeeded without re-installing W2003 from
scratch, or, if we must re-install, is there a way tokeep all the work
already done (at some extreme cost)? The is particularly important with
regards to the registery file/s.

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

-David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Hi,

I helped write a serial number reader for Windows 6 months ago, but I wanted
to do the same as you replace the number although I come up with many
problems. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the earlier versions of Windows that
caused the headaches, but Windows XP & 2003 Server because they have a
hardware check. Not saying that the Base24 that the Windows serial is hard
to master though.

There are 6 bits- another 6 bits- and so on. Take the following example:

123451-654326 and so on
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 /7 = 2 with 1 remainder, so 1 is the 6th bit giving
123451

That's just the start of what you're up against.

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

You have to perform a Repair installation aka In-place upgrade.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816579
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003