Changing serial numbers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Hi,

We recentely purchased a new server with 2003 server std as OS, however, the
server was delivered with 2003 SBE, which we could not use. Our hardware
supplier 'lent' a licence and key to help us get started while waiting for
the correct licence. We now have the correct licence in hand and tried to
update from the 'borrowed' number to our own purcheased licence. This is
proving to be quiet a challenge!

Has anyone done this before and succeeded without re-installing W2003 from
scratch, or, if we must re-install, is there a way tokeep all the work
already done (at some extreme cost)? The is particularly important with
regards to the registery file/s.

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

-David
2 answers Last reply
More about changing serial numbers
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    I helped write a serial number reader for Windows 6 months ago, but I wanted
    to do the same as you replace the number although I come up with many
    problems. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the earlier versions of Windows that
    caused the headaches, but Windows XP & 2003 Server because they have a
    hardware check. Not saying that the Base24 that the Windows serial is hard
    to master though.

    There are 6 bits- another 6 bits- and so on. Take the following example:

    123451-654326 and so on
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 /7 = 2 with 1 remainder, so 1 is the 6th bit giving
    123451

    That's just the start of what you're up against.

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    You have to perform a Repair installation aka In-place upgrade.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816579
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003

Windows Server Microsoft Servers Windows