Processor Fan Installation

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heatsinks
  • Fan
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2006 5:59:32 PM

A computer I have built keeps freezing and I believe the problem has to do with overheating. The graphics card is passively cooled so that is what I am guessing the problem is.

However, I noticed that my AMD 3800 x2 fan pulls air towards the heatsink instead of blowing it away from it. Is this the correct way the fan should be installed, or is it supposed to pull air through the heatsink and blow it away from the processor?

The processor/heatsink/fan combination is from one of AMD's processor in a box thinks.

More about : processor fan installation

December 21, 2006 6:03:35 PM

Quote:
A computer I have built keeps freezing and I believe the problem has to do with overheating. The graphics card is passively cooled so that is what I am guessing the problem is.

However, I noticed that my AMD 3800 x2 fan pulls air towards the heatsink instead of blowing it away from it. Is this the correct way the fan should be installed, or is it supposed to pull air through the heatsink and blow it away from the processor?

The processor/heatsink/fan combination is from one of AMD's processor in a box thinks.
The fan should be pulling in air, and blowing it down...towards the motherboard.

PS. With the passively cooled video card(especially if it's a fairly powerful one), you should have some good case airflow. Intake fan at bottom/front, and one or two exhaust in rear... below PSU. A side-panel fan could really lower the temps on your video-card as well. GL :) 
December 21, 2006 6:06:20 PM

Thanks, just making sure.
December 22, 2006 12:14:51 AM

If you want to be sure its an overheating problem, I use this troubleshooting step all the time.

Pull of the side of the case. Point big house fan that blows lots of air into computer. That should get rid of any latent heat in the case, so if your computer runs fine w/ the big fan on, then voila, its a heat issue.
!