running cd and copying files

Hi there, 2 questions, i just bought an interactive cd for
training and they are 6 cds in number. I find it rather
cumbersome carrying all cds around, so i copied all the
files from all cds to my laptop. when i tried to run this
prog. it still asked me for the cd.Is the a way i can set
a path to the copied files where i can run them without
having to use the cd. Secondly, using dos prompt, how do i
copy a file over the network from another computer to mine.
Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about running copying files

    Dan,

    Unfortunately it is impossible to tell you a way to circumvent having the
    physical CD without having access to a computer this program is installed to.
    There are numerous methods used by programs to ensure they are running from
    their original CD and within each method there exists so many variations
    among implementations that the number of possibile workarounds may as well be
    infinite. Methods include using a registry entry to specify the installation
    drive to identifying the medium based on the layout of the data and verifying
    streams comming through the Redbook audio cable. You will have to
    investigate. Check the programs registry keys under HKLM and HKCU, if you
    can;t find anything usefule do a search in the registry for the letter of
    your CD-ROM drive (ex: D:\) - it not efficient but it is thorough. You can
    also search your computer for files containing your CD-ROM drive letter.
    After that it starts to get a bit more technical.

    One way that's easy and (usually) effective is to make .iso images of your
    disks and then use an emulator (I highly reccomend Daemon-Tools) the simulate
    the data's playback as if from a CD-ROM. For a free copy of Daemon-Tools (as
    it's freeware), go here:

    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/index.php

    For copying files via DOS do you mean DOS or the Windows 2000 command line
    (the 2k commcnad line supports unc as well as mapped drives)?

    hope this helps!

    Nick

    "dan" wrote:

    > Hi there, 2 questions, i just bought an interactive cd for
    > training and they are 6 cds in number. I find it rather
    > cumbersome carrying all cds around, so i copied all the
    > files from all cds to my laptop. when i tried to run this
    > prog. it still asked me for the cd.Is the a way i can set
    > a path to the copied files where i can run them without
    > having to use the cd. Secondly, using dos prompt, how do i
    > copy a file over the network from another computer to mine.
    > Thank you.

    There could be two possibilities to answer your first question:

    1) Creat subdirectories of what the CD titles are & put them in the root of
    your first directory

    2) For each CD there could be an ini file telling the CD where to point to.
    So, you maybe able to change this path, but the path will be hard coded so
    to speak & if you move the directory then you'll need to change the ini
    files.

    Office 2000 Premium & I think Visual Studio 6 Enterprise used the ini
    method.

    One point about this though. If you're stopped how will you prove you have
    the license of this application & not a bootleg?

    Sorry, cannot help you with your second question because I don't remember
    the process I used to use now.

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows