scheduled task never run on RDP?

I am able to run an already-created scheduled task from the RDP (remote
desktop) by right-click a task, then select run. Is it true that no matter
how the task is set-up, we could only interact with it from the console, but
never on a remote desktop? I was made to believe (based on experience) that
I an never see what is going on (with the task I started via a scheduler)
unless I am sitting in front of the console, true or not?

Query 2: If a scheduled task is configured to run under a certain Domain
Account, will or could we make this task to run if the console is logon as a
Local user when the computer starts up?

Query 3: Excuse me if I were repeating. Assume a scheduled task is
configured to run under a certain Domain Account, and when the computer
starts up, assume the user signs in using a different Domain Account. My
experience says, the task will run in the background. (true?). Now what
happen if I logoff at the console and logon as a local user (non-Domain
user)? Will any tasks run on the scheduled hour?
5 answers Last reply
More about scheduled task

    See below.

    "ykffc" <ykffc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am able to run an already-created scheduled task from the RDP (remote
    > desktop) by right-click a task, then select run. Is it true that no matter
    > how the task is set-up, we could only interact with it from the console,
    but
    > never on a remote desktop? I was made to believe (based on experience)
    that
    > I an never see what is going on (with the task I started via a scheduler)
    > unless I am sitting in front of the console, true or not?
    To watch a task execute, you must be logged on under
    the same account as the account that is used for the
    scheduled task. Whether your current session is a
    console or an RDP session is irrelevant.

    > Query 2: If a scheduled task is configured to run under a certain Domain
    > Account, will or could we make this task to run if the console is logon as
    > Local user when the computer starts up?
    Scheduled tasks run independently of console sessions.

    > Query 3: Excuse me if I were repeating. Assume a scheduled task is
    > configured to run under a certain Domain Account, and when the computer
    > starts up, assume the user signs in using a different Domain Account. My
    > experience says, the task will run in the background. (true?). Now what
    > happen if I logoff at the console and logon as a local user (non-Domain
    > user)? Will any tasks run on the scheduled hour?
    Scheduled tasks will always run in the background.
    However, the become visible under certain circumstances -
    see the reply to Q1.

    However . . . I admit that I have seen some machines where
    the scheduled task remained invisible no matter what!

    <quote>To watch a task execute, you must be logged on under
    the same account as the account that is used for the scheduled task.</quote>
    agree
    <quote> Whether your current session is a console or an RDP session is
    irrelevant</quote> Maybe you've misread my question. I'd better put up the
    question differently: is there any way I could monitor an automated scheduled
    task via a RDP session? Monitoring means to be able to interact with the
    program as required and/or break the running code when required (but via a
    RDP sesssion).

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > See below.
    >
    > "ykffc" <ykffc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am able to run an already-created scheduled task from the RDP (remote
    > > desktop) by right-click a task, then select run. Is it true that no matter
    > > how the task is set-up, we could only interact with it from the console,
    > but
    > > never on a remote desktop? I was made to believe (based on experience)
    > that
    > > I an never see what is going on (with the task I started via a scheduler)
    > > unless I am sitting in front of the console, true or not?
    > To watch a task execute, you must be logged on under
    > the same account as the account that is used for the
    > scheduled task. Whether your current session is a
    > console or an RDP session is irrelevant.
    >

    > > Query 2: If a scheduled task is configured to run under a certain Domain
    > > Account, will or could we make this task to run if the console is logon as
    > > Local user when the computer starts up?
    > Scheduled tasks run independently of console sessions.
    >
    > > Query 3: Excuse me if I were repeating. Assume a scheduled task is
    > > configured to run under a certain Domain Account, and when the computer
    > > starts up, assume the user signs in using a different Domain Account. My
    > > experience says, the task will run in the background. (true?). Now what
    > > happen if I logoff at the console and logon as a local user (non-Domain
    > > user)? Will any tasks run on the scheduled hour?
    > Scheduled tasks will always run in the background.
    > However, the become visible under certain circumstances -
    > see the reply to Q1.
    >
    > However . . . I admit that I have seen some machines where
    > the scheduled task remained invisible no matter what!

    You can monitor a scheduled task via a console or RDP
    session if
    a) you log on first under the same account as used by the
    scheduled task, and
    b) the scheduled task starts after you have completed
    the logon process.

    The usual method to monitor a scheduled task is by
    placing its commands into a batch file, then collecting
    the standard and error output from each command into
    separate log files.

    > <quote>To watch a task execute, you must be logged on under
    > the same account as the account that is used for the scheduled
    task.</quote>
    > agree
    > <quote> Whether your current session is a console or an RDP session is
    > irrelevant</quote> Maybe you've misread my question. I'd better put up the
    > question differently: is there any way I could monitor an automated
    scheduled
    > task via a RDP session? Monitoring means to be able to interact with the
    > program as required and/or break the running code when required (but via a
    > RDP sesssion).
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > See below.
    > >
    > > "ykffc" <ykffc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am able to run an already-created scheduled task from the RDP
    (remote
    > > > desktop) by right-click a task, then select run. Is it true that no
    matter
    > > > how the task is set-up, we could only interact with it from the
    console,
    > > but
    > > > never on a remote desktop? I was made to believe (based on
    experience)
    > > that
    > > > I an never see what is going on (with the task I started via a
    scheduler)
    > > > unless I am sitting in front of the console, true or not?
    > > To watch a task execute, you must be logged on under
    > > the same account as the account that is used for the
    > > scheduled task. Whether your current session is a
    > > console or an RDP session is irrelevant.
    > >

    > > > Query 2: If a scheduled task is configured to run under a certain
    Domain
    > > > Account, will or could we make this task to run if the console is
    logon as
    > > > Local user when the computer starts up?
    > > Scheduled tasks run independently of console sessions.
    > >
    > > > Query 3: Excuse me if I were repeating. Assume a scheduled task is
    > > > configured to run under a certain Domain Account, and when the
    computer
    > > > starts up, assume the user signs in using a different Domain Account.
    My
    > > > experience says, the task will run in the background. (true?). Now
    what
    > > > happen if I logoff at the console and logon as a local user
    (non-Domain
    > > > user)? Will any tasks run on the scheduled hour?
    > > Scheduled tasks will always run in the background.
    > > However, the become visible under certain circumstances -
    > > see the reply to Q1.
    > >
    > > However . . . I admit that I have seen some machines where
    > > the scheduled task remained invisible no matter what!

    Thanks. Unless I still mis-understand you, apparently you've seen an
    AUTOMATED scheduled task to run on remote desktop (which I have never). Tell
    you more exactly, our many scheduled tasks are running 7/24. We normally
    leave the console signed on at all time. According to what you wrote, I
    should try this:
    1) log off the console
    2) at another computer, fire up remote desktop, connect it the machine that
    runs the scheduled tasks, using the same account as those scheduled tasks are
    running under. It seems you said I will then be able to monitor it.

    I shall try that to verify it later.

    Yes, what you suggest is what is already in use. We make use of emails,
    logfiles and other tools to monitor automated tasks. But sometimes I do need
    to watch what's going on, especially when it looks like a task stops due to
    an unexpected error.

    > Thanks. Unless I still mis-understand you, apparently you've seen an
    > AUTOMATED scheduled task to run on remote desktop (which I have never).
    Correct.

    > Tell you more exactly, our many scheduled tasks are running 7/24. We
    normally
    > leave the console signed on at all time. According to what you wrote, I
    > should try this:
    > 1) log off the console
    Do your initial test while logged on at the console.

    > 2) at another computer, fire up remote desktop, connect it the machine
    that
    > runs the scheduled tasks, using the same account as those scheduled tasks
    are
    > running under. It seems you said I will then be able to monitor it.
    Yes. But as I said, I have come across some cases where this method did not
    work.

    > I shall try that to verify it later.
    >
    > Yes, what you suggest is what is already in use. We make use of emails,
    > logfiles and other tools to monitor automated tasks. But sometimes I do
    need
    > to watch what's going on, especially when it looks like a task stops due
    > an unexpected error.
    Not necessarily. You should try this:

    @echo off
    echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
    echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
    c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
    echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
    echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log

    Now have a look at your log files and you will be able to see
    why the task stops, because all output is captured immediately.

Consoles Windows