How do you remove startup choices in Win 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 11, 2005 9:22:01 AM

I tried to upgrade my pc running win 2000 professional to XP but it failed
now when I boot up there is a startup choice of win 2000 and a choice for win
xp ugrade. How do I remove this second choice of win xp? Telguy99
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:11:25 PM

Edit boot.ini located in the root of the system partition (usually C:\)

boot.ini will be something like;

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Windows XP Setup"

Change it to;
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect

Then you can delete these folders

$win_nt$.~bt
$win_nt$.~ls

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Telguy99" wrote:
|I tried to upgrade my pc running win 2000 professional to XP but it failed
| now when I boot up there is a startup choice of win 2000 and a choice for
win
| xp ugrade. How do I remove this second choice of win xp? Telguy99

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:04:49 PM

Right-click MY COMPUTER & click PROPERTIES

Click the ADVANCED tab

Click STARTUP & Recovery button

Choose the default operating system, uncheck the checkbox that says 'Display
A List Of Operating Systems for ?? Seconds'

Click OK

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
April 11, 2005 6:04:50 PM

I already did that but when I try to do the uprgrade to Win XP again it
always goes back to the failed Win XP Upgrade startup and then just sits
there. I want to clear that entry out and then try to upgrade to XP
again...Is that possible...and how do I do that?

"Crouchie1998" wrote:

> Right-click MY COMPUTER & click PROPERTIES
>
> Click the ADVANCED tab
>
> Click STARTUP & Recovery button
>
> Choose the default operating system, uncheck the checkbox that says 'Display
> A List Of Operating Systems for ?? Seconds'
>
> Click OK
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:31:46 PM

Telguy99 fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> I tried to upgrade my pc running win 2000 professional to XP but it
> failed now when I boot up there is a startup choice of win 2000 and a
> choice for win xp ugrade. How do I remove this second choice of win
> xp? Telguy99

Set Hidden Files and Folders to be visible by >
Open My Computer
Tools
Folder Options...
View tab

Click Show Hidden files and folders

Untick
Hide file extenstions for known file types

Untick
Hide protected operating system files

Then in the root of your C drive you'll find a file called

boot.ini

take the read only flag off it by right clicking on it
select Properties
General tab

untick Read -only

Once you've done that open it and it contains text similar to this(which
is my copy):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console"
/cmdcons

Find the line relating to Microsoft Windows XP and delete the line.

Save the file.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:31:47 PM

Thank You that worked...

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> Telguy99 fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>
> > I tried to upgrade my pc running win 2000 professional to XP but it
> > failed now when I boot up there is a startup choice of win 2000 and a
> > choice for win xp ugrade. How do I remove this second choice of win
> > xp? Telguy99
>

> Set Hidden Files and Folders to be visible by >
> Open My Computer
> Tools
> Folder Options...
> View tab
>
> Click Show Hidden files and folders
>
> Untick
> Hide file extenstions for known file types
>
> Untick
> Hide protected operating system files
>
> Then in the root of your C drive you'll find a file called
>
> boot.ini
>
> take the read only flag off it by right clicking on it
> select Properties
> General tab
>
> untick Read -only
>
> Once you've done that open it and it contains text similar to this(which
> is my copy):
>

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
> Professional" /fastdetect
> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console"
> /cmdcons
>

> Find the line relating to Microsoft Windows XP and delete the line.
>
> Save the file.
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:03:03 PM

I've a similar issue. My install of windows 2000 failed, and it just sat
there. I did a second install and it was good.

But each time I started windows, it has both windows 2000 sitting there.

I wonder which will show as the failed installation in boot.ini file?

Thanks.

sheila

!