PC Equivalent to Airport Extreme Base Station

marex

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
Have had good experiences with configuring and using Airport Extreme for my friend's Apple computer.

I want to get a PC equivalent (I don't like Apple well enough to get an Apple computer.)

What I need is a WAP with 802.11g and an INTERNAL modem.
Have searched but have not yet found one. Has anyone seen one of those?? Do they make them??

Alex

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
A very good but somewhat pricey option is Cisco. Cisco makes wireless AP's among many other things, with outstanding quality and power. The only downside to cisco series WiFi products is the cost, but its usually worth it.

As for what you are calling a modem, i assume what u mean is a wireless ethernet card. Again, Cisco makes great cards for a price. The quality of you wireless etho card is not nearly as important as your base station (AP), so for the wireless card, a D-Link or Linksys will probably be good. The only thing i must warn you about is that D-Link has THE WORST tech support. Their products are good but whenever you have a problem, we're talking at least 40 minute hold time, and we sure as hell aint talkin no award winning support.

Anywayz, basically Cisco for good but expensive AP, and D-Link or Linksys for wireless etho card.

marex

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you for the info in Cisco. Have not seen that make locally but then I have not known enough to look for it.

When I say modem I mean a real, honest-to-goodness, dialup modem (not an ethernet card.) For three months of the year, I am out of reach from any highspeed connection. The ony alternative is a WAP with an internal modem to make a dialup connection.

Apple makes the Airport Extreme (54G)that has an internal modem. It works pretty well either hooked up to cable or a phone line.

If Cisco makes one of them, that is what I want to look at!

Alex

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
hmmm....im not sure if cisco makes an integrated modem/AP. what i thought u meant was a 54g AP and a wireless NIC.

if you dont have acess to high speed lines such as CABLE or DSL, one good option is satelite internet. DirecTV (the satelite tv company) also offfers high speed satelite internet. www.directv.com