Sign in with
Your question

C2D E6300 running at 65 deg on Idle?

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2006 8:22:00 PM

Is this normal? The mobo is running around 33-35 but the cpu is always running around 64-65. I am using the stock cooling fan and heat sink. What are my best options as far as heatsinks and fans go?

The system runs completely normal but the temps are just kinda odd and I am getting that temp reading from the bios itself. I will "probably" be overclocking in the future so wanted to have some reliable cooling to begin with.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanx
December 21, 2006 8:42:04 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running an e6400 (not overclocked) with the stock heatsink and fan, and it's sitting at 70degrees idle.

I'm sure that this is what is causing my computer's instability, because the mobo temp is only 36. I installed the heat sink following the directions, and the fan is plugged in and blowing. Why is it so hot, and how can I fix it?
December 21, 2006 8:44:18 PM

Quote:
make sure your HSF is seated correctly.

Did that already. :?
Related resources
December 21, 2006 9:00:39 PM

Yes, the fan is running. I havent tried the fastest setting yet though. What is the normal temp for this cpu with stock cooling?

Also any suggestions for aftermarket heatsinks/fan??
Anonymous
December 21, 2006 9:08:56 PM

I had the same problem a few weeks back and found out it was the stupid monitoring program I was using. I tried 3 different programs and they all read the normal range of 33-35. Try a few different programs to make sure this isnt the same case.

Here is my thread

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
December 21, 2006 9:09:17 PM

I checked my temp through the BIOS and it read 71 degrees.

Then I used CoreTemp to check it, and it flashed warnings saying my system was overheating. It showed:

Core0: 127(?)
Core1: 83

That's even hotter. Now I'm scared to turn the thing on, for fear of getting a sun tan from it.
Anonymous
December 21, 2006 9:16:47 PM

Recommended way to seat an Intel heat sink preferred. Have motherboard out of case and place on a piece of soft foam. Ensure all of the black center pegs are full pulled up. Make sure that slot on the black plastic part points towards the heat sink. Place the heat sink with grease the processor and gently wiggle the heat sink left and right. This is to set the pegs into the holes. Next is the part that most people get wrong. Take two opposite black posts and press down firmly until you hear 2 clicks. Repeat with the opposite pegs. Next flip the board over and verify that all 4 black pegs are through and even with the 2 white stacks. If the white stakes have not gone all the way through the board then heat sink is not seated properly and you need to repeat the procedure.

This can be done with the board in the chassis but you will be unable to verify that you have the heat sink properly seated.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2006 9:17:28 PM

Quote:
I'm having a similar problem. I'm running an e6400 (not overclocked) with the stock heatsink and fan, and it's sitting at 70degrees idle.

I'm sure that this is what is causing my computer's instability, because the mobo temp is only 36. I installed the heat sink following the directions, and the fan is plugged in and blowing. Why is it so hot, and how can I fix it?

70C idle, time to leave your pc off.

@OP If you used AS5 or any other thermal paste besides stock, did you just add to the stock stuff or did you remove the stuff first then add the aftermarket thermal paste?
December 21, 2006 9:19:44 PM

I installed my heatsink while the motherboard was secured to the chassis, because both the Asus and Intel instruction manuals said to do it that way. Why do they want you to install it with the mobo attached to the case? It seems like that puts undue structural pressure on the board when pushing in pegs, etc.

Anyways, I'll try reinstalling the heatsink fan and see if it helps.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2006 9:29:00 PM

Do you install mobo or psu first? I find that when I install the psu first, the cables always get in the way of mobo installation. One day, I'm going to get a modular psu, then I'll only have to do with the 20/24 pin cable.
December 21, 2006 9:59:30 PM

Quote:
I had the same problem a few weeks back and found out it was the stupid monitoring program I was using. I tried 3 different programs and they all read the normal range of 33-35. Try a few different programs to make sure this isnt the same case.

Here is my thread

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Well, I downloaded the intel thermal analysis tool, first of all it isnt showing that I have a c2d and then its showing cpu 0 at 68 and cpu 1 at 63. 8O

December 21, 2006 11:54:44 PM

Well, I removed and reinstalled the heatsink fan and that seems to have done the trick. My temperatures are back down into the 48-50C range now, about 5 degrees higher under load.

So thank you very much for your help everyone!
December 22, 2006 2:39:14 AM

Glad it worked for you. However, I am still at the high temps AFTER re-seating the heat sink. :?
December 22, 2006 9:44:05 PM

Anybodyy..!!! any ideas??? I am still not sure which hs/fan to get to replace the stock one.
December 22, 2006 9:58:54 PM

Wipe off the old thermal paste, put on new paste, then re-seat it. See if that works. If that's what you did, ignore this post.
December 22, 2006 10:11:02 PM

didnt appy new paste. So just the regular arc thermal paste from newegg would do the trick?
December 22, 2006 10:17:00 PM

Quote:
didnt appy new paste. So just the regular arc thermal paste from newegg would do the trick?

Artic 5 has been great for me. 44 degrees celsius on air, but then again, my chip draws in less than 35 watts of energy.
December 23, 2006 1:16:10 AM

ok, if your temps are still that high even after reseating the heatsink, then you need to reseat it. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to work correctly, especially with the 775 from what i hear. Whenever you take the HSF off, you MUST clean off any and all thermal compound and reapply. I highly recommend using artic-clean it works wonders. If your using AS5 be extremely careful not to get it on anything other than the IHS and the HSF. Idle temps that high are bad. good luck.

also, with AS5, more is not better. It's best to put a BB size on the center of the IHS then press the HSF down on the CPU, just enough to spread it a little bit. then proceed with seating the heatsink. If you keep getting the same temps then you either have a defective CPU or the DTS (Temp Sensor) in the core is defective.
December 23, 2006 1:48:30 AM

sounds good. I will placing an order at newegg pretty soon. Will keep you guys posted with the results once I get the paste and apply it.

Any suggestions for an aftermarket HS/fan??
December 23, 2006 2:08:53 AM

This is a "gotcha" for many...remember that with dual cores you have to apply AC5 (or any others) in a different manner than single cores. The old "rice" sized drop doesn't apply to the dual cores. Make sure you follow these instructions...after you clean the old paste off. Instruction link follows....Good Luck!

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5...
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2006 3:24:30 AM

Quote:
sounds good. I will placing an order at newegg pretty soon. Will keep you guys posted with the results once I get the paste and apply it.

Any suggestions for an aftermarket HS/fan??

Does the HS ever feel hot when you have those temps? If its fairly cool, then its not correctly seated, as heat is not transferred properly.
December 31, 2006 5:44:48 AM

well, looks like problem is solved. Got some Arctic Silver 5 and re-seated the cpu and here is the result.

December 31, 2006 5:47:42 PM

Quote:
Anybodyy..!!! any ideas??? I am still not sure which hs/fan to get to replace the stock one.

The stock Intel HSF is crap, and such a pain to really get seated at times. It made a horrible cracking noise when I installed it, so much so, that I thought I cracked the motherboard.

If you go 3rd party, the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 (pro?) is a nice one, and pretty inexpensive.
AC Freeer 7 Pro

edit -

just noticed that you're temps are lower from last post. That's good. :D 
!