Format W2k drive (no disk), replace with XP

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 11, 2005 5:49:04 PM

Really long story short: My sister has a W2k Pro computer that has corrupt
W@k files. I tried to repair the files but she lost the disk...and has no
boot disks made. She wanted to switch to WXP and I was told that formatting
before installing WXP was an option in the set up...unfortunately this is not
true. I tried to use a WXP and W95 boot disk to do the formatting but had no
luck (kept getting an invalid drive when I tried cd c:) . I have a W98 that I
can try (saw on another thread).

Ok, maybe the story wasn't so short:)  Will the W98 disk fork for me? If I
can't format from the W98 disk, is there anything else I can do besides get a
new hard drive? Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:01:21 PM

To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"lardman" wrote:
| Really long story short: My sister has a W2k Pro computer that has corrupt
| W@k files. I tried to repair the files but she lost the disk...and has no
| boot disks made. She wanted to switch to WXP and I was told that
formatting
| before installing WXP was an option in the set up...unfortunately this is
not
| true. I tried to use a WXP and W95 boot disk to do the formatting but had
no
| luck (kept getting an invalid drive when I tried cd c:) . I have a W98 that
| can try (saw on another thread).
|
| Ok, maybe the story wasn't so short:)  Will the W98 disk fork for me? If I
| can't format from the W98 disk, is there anything else I can do besides
get a
| new hard drive? Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:49:10 PM

lardman wrote:
> Really long story short: My sister has a W2k Pro computer that has corrupt
> W@k files. I tried to repair the files but she lost the disk...and has no
> boot disks made. She wanted to switch to WXP and I was told that formatting
> before installing WXP was an option in the set up...unfortunately this is not
> true. I tried to use a WXP and W95 boot disk to do the formatting but had no
> luck (kept getting an invalid drive when I tried cd c:) . I have a W98 that I
> can try (saw on another thread).
>
> Ok, maybe the story wasn't so short:)  Will the W98 disk fork for me? If I
> can't format from the W98 disk, is there anything else I can do besides get a
> new hard drive? Thanks in advance!

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
April 12, 2005 2:23:32 AM

There is a utility on the Windows 2000 CD for creating boot discs. You will
need 5 floppy discs.

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:56:36 AM

The problem with trying to do it the previous way is that it doesn't always
delete the partition or the previous installation, whereas, from the boot
discs you can.

Microsoft have a utility for creating Windows XP boot discs.

XP Professional Boot Discs:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/6/f/86f76f11-9...

XP Home Boot Discs:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/1/3/413e055b-3...

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
Official Microsoft Beta Tester
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:56:37 AM

Crouchie1998 wrote:
> The problem with trying to do it the previous way is that it doesn't always
> delete the partition or the previous installation,

It will if the computer user elects to do so. The user has to make the
choice.

> whereas, from the boot
> discs you can.

Boot diskettes are a thing of the past, as all legitimate WinXP
installation CDs are already bootable.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:25:02 AM

> Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Thanks Bruce/Dave! I hate knowing just enough to goof something up.
Crouchie-my sis lost the W2k cd, can't do what you recommended.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:49:01 AM

Again, I appreciate all the links you posted. I went to the How to install or
upgrade to windows XP link...I think it is funny how it says you can upgrade
from 98, Millenium, Me, AND W2k Pro. When I insert the WXP cd, I get a popup
that says WXP cannot upgrade W2k. Just venting:)
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:27:02 AM

So after I delete the W2k (NTFS) formatted partition, I create a new
partition the entire size of the hard drive and reformat this new partition
with the FAT file system (which is what XP uses)...right?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:36:01 AM

I keep answering my own questions today. Found
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-gb;842626 that says to
use NTFS. Will mostlikely do the full format (not the quick) considering the
computer has had problems in the past...
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:04:49 PM

lardman wrote:
> Again, I appreciate all the links you posted. I went to the How to install or
> upgrade to windows XP link...I think it is funny how it says you can upgrade
> from 98, Millenium, Me, AND W2k Pro. When I insert the WXP cd, I get a popup
> that says WXP cannot upgrade W2k. Just venting:)

This could mean either that you're using a WinXP Home CD, or that
you're using a WinXP Pro OEM CD. Win2K can be upgraded *only* to WinXP
Pro, and OEM CDs cannot perform upgrades at all.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:47:05 PM

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:
> This could mean either that you're using a WinXP Home CD, or that
> you're using a WinXP Pro OEM CD. Win2K can be upgraded *only* to WinXP
> Pro, and OEM CDs cannot perform upgrades at all.
> Bruce Chambers

Bingo! Using XP home...you're good. Thankds for the help.
!