Format W2k drive (no disk), replace with XP

Really long story short: My sister has a W2k Pro computer that has corrupt
W@k files. I tried to repair the files but she lost the disk...and has no
boot disks made. She wanted to switch to WXP and I was told that formatting
before installing WXP was an option in the set up...unfortunately this is not
true. I tried to use a WXP and W95 boot disk to do the formatting but had no
luck (kept getting an invalid drive when I tried cd c:). I have a W98 that I
can try (saw on another thread).

Ok, maybe the story wasn't so short:) Will the W98 disk fork for me? If I
can't format from the W98 disk, is there anything else I can do besides get a
new hard drive? Thanks in advance!
11 answers Last reply
More about format drive disk replace

    To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
    the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
    delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
    the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
    install.

    Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
    connecting to any network.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    lardman wrote:
    > Really long story short: My sister has a W2k Pro computer that has corrupt
    > W@k files. I tried to repair the files but she lost the disk...and has no
    > boot disks made. She wanted to switch to WXP and I was told that formatting
    > before installing WXP was an option in the set up...unfortunately this is not
    > true. I tried to use a WXP and W95 boot disk to do the formatting but had no
    > luck (kept getting an invalid drive when I tried cd c:). I have a W98 that I
    > can try (saw on another thread).
    >
    > Ok, maybe the story wasn't so short:) Will the W98 disk fork for me? If I
    > can't format from the W98 disk, is there anything else I can do besides get a
    > new hard drive? Thanks in advance!

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    There is a utility on the Windows 2000 CD for creating boot discs. You will
    need 5 floppy discs.

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

    The problem with trying to do it the previous way is that it doesn't always
    delete the partition or the previous installation, whereas, from the boot
    discs you can.

    Microsoft have a utility for creating Windows XP boot discs.

    XP Professional Boot Discs:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/6/f/86f76f11-9369-4c6c-b923-092a94835278/WinXPSP1a_EN_PRO_BF.exe

    XP Home Boot Discs:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/1/3/413e055b-3bf0-4996-963f-9f08cb9b10d7/WinXPSP1a_EN_HOM_BF.exe

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
    Official Microsoft Beta Tester

    Crouchie1998 wrote:
    > The problem with trying to do it the previous way is that it doesn't always
    > delete the partition or the previous installation,

    It will if the computer user elects to do so. The user has to make the
    choice.

    > whereas, from the boot
    > discs you can.

    Boot diskettes are a thing of the past, as all legitimate WinXP
    installation CDs are already bootable.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    > opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    > installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    > devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
    >
    > HOW TO Install Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Thanks Bruce/Dave! I hate knowing just enough to goof something up.
    Crouchie-my sis lost the W2k cd, can't do what you recommended.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Again, I appreciate all the links you posted. I went to the How to install or
    upgrade to windows XP link...I think it is funny how it says you can upgrade
    from 98, Millenium, Me, AND W2k Pro. When I insert the WXP cd, I get a popup
    that says WXP cannot upgrade W2k. Just venting:)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    So after I delete the W2k (NTFS) formatted partition, I create a new
    partition the entire size of the hard drive and reformat this new partition
    with the FAT file system (which is what XP uses)...right?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I keep answering my own questions today. Found
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-gb;842626 that says to
    use NTFS. Will mostlikely do the full format (not the quick) considering the
    computer has had problems in the past...
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    lardman wrote:
    > Again, I appreciate all the links you posted. I went to the How to install or
    > upgrade to windows XP link...I think it is funny how it says you can upgrade
    > from 98, Millenium, Me, AND W2k Pro. When I insert the WXP cd, I get a popup
    > that says WXP cannot upgrade W2k. Just venting:)

    This could mean either that you're using a WinXP Home CD, or that
    you're using a WinXP Pro OEM CD. Win2K can be upgraded *only* to WinXP
    Pro, and OEM CDs cannot perform upgrades at all.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    > This could mean either that you're using a WinXP Home CD, or that
    > you're using a WinXP Pro OEM CD. Win2K can be upgraded *only* to WinXP
    > Pro, and OEM CDs cannot perform upgrades at all.
    > Bruce Chambers

    Bingo! Using XP home...you're good. Thankds for the help.

Windows XP Windows