New windows 2003 domain server installation

syncro

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

Hi all,

We are a small business ( 30 clients & 1 server) and are planning to replace
upgrade our old Windows 2000 server. In the same time we though it would be
a good idea to install Windows 2003. We also want to be able fo our users to
log to our server from home using Windows 2003 built-in VPN solution. I'm
seeking solution on the best scenario for our installation

1) Users, shares migration. We don't have another server at hand. Is there a
way to back up the users accounts as well as the shares and permission.

2) We are planning to install, DHCP and DNS server on the same server as
well as remote access server. What should be the consideration here? What is
the best way to proceed considering that we have a router (DHCP disabled)
which acts as a gateway for the internet?

3) Do i need to use both network card? If so how to connect them. I guest
the fastest one for the LAN part (plugged in the router?) and the slowest
one for the wan part (plugged in the router?).

Our server is mainly used as a file server but we also run on it a timesheet
application which can be access by our employees from outside the network
using any browser.

Our server specs will be :

(2) XEON P-III Processors (dual)
(1) GO ECC RAM
(1) 100 MB NIC
(1) 1000 GB NIC
(1) Tyan Board
(2) Ultra 320 SCSI seagate 70 GO RAID (mirror) HD
(1) Enlight hot swappable hard drive bay (5 disks) SCSI ultra 320
(1) Compaq 20/40 GO External DAT tape backup
(1) Enlight Case
(2) Redundant power supply
(1) APC 1000 VA UPS

Thak you for your input

JP

(1) User state miragtion is going to be your EZ part, NP. I've persoanally
burned DVD's or external drive for very large op's. You don't have to though.

(2) You read @MS and here that a two NIC approach is the way to go, esp. for
your biz, wants, needs. Get ISA & a Security appliance in front (phys) of the
server to internet, turn-on DCHp on W2K3, off-on ROUTER+HUB for clients.
Cause I'm still working on perfecting the ONE NIC approch for my very small
client/customers. But I would not have used a (1) NIC approach for your wants.

(3)Uh...not following on this...but...one card gets connected to the net
(using above approach {highest security}), the other card has the router
connected to it. If you consulted me this is what I would have done.

(4)Addindum. For this I'd low-ball (but you have) the processors, and max on
the RAM, based on what you seem to want to do. Also think about SharePoint
Services.Im rushing to go eat, so you can use my home email if you need to.
mvn_hayes@yahoo.com

"SYNCRO" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are a small business ( 30 clients & 1 server) and are planning to replace
> upgrade our old Windows 2000 server. In the same time we though it would be
> a good idea to install Windows 2003. We also want to be able fo our users to
> log to our server from home using Windows 2003 built-in VPN solution. I'm
> seeking solution on the best scenario for our installation
>
> 1) Users, shares migration. We don't have another server at hand. Is there a
> way to back up the users accounts as well as the shares and permission.
>
> 2) We are planning to install, DHCP and DNS server on the same server as
> well as remote access server. What should be the consideration here? What is
> the best way to proceed considering that we have a router (DHCP disabled)
> which acts as a gateway for the internet?
>
> 3) Do i need to use both network card? If so how to connect them. I guest
> the fastest one for the LAN part (plugged in the router?) and the slowest
> one for the wan part (plugged in the router?).
>
> Our server is mainly used as a file server but we also run on it a timesheet
> application which can be access by our employees from outside the network
> using any browser.
>
> Our server specs will be :
>
> (2) XEON P-III Processors (dual)
> (1) GO ECC RAM
> (1) 100 MB NIC
> (1) 1000 GB NIC
> (1) Tyan Board
> (2) Ultra 320 SCSI seagate 70 GO RAID (mirror) HD
> (1) Enlight hot swappable hard drive bay (5 disks) SCSI ultra 320
> (1) Compaq 20/40 GO External DAT tape backup
> (1) Enlight Case
> (2) Redundant power supply
> (1) APC 1000 VA UPS
>
> Thak you for your input