upping from a 64 3200+ to an opteron 170, worth the $190?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
YES. The Opty On Water Cooling @ 2.7-2.8Ghz Should very well be able to Compete with a E6400 on stock Speeds. You will notice a Application speed increase. But if your son Is a Gamer a Opty + ATI Graphic Card Upgrade will give a good 40% to 60% speed up from what he currently has. The Opty 170@ 2.8Ghz over the 3200+ will show speed up in most Cases still.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=503&model2=475&chart=192

about The difference from a 3200+ to a Opty 170 @ 2.6Ghz(check the Red bars)

Thanks yo! But why ATI and not Nvidia? I got him a 7950 gt oc :D

So I take it the opty should smoke the 3200+ on apps? But for games the gfx upgrade is key? Or what? I didn't quite get you. The comparison chart is great BTW. So the opty at 2.7 or so is roughly like a e6400 at stock speed? Thx again.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Is your son's 3200 a single core? The Opty is a Dual Core proc as well. Just make sure that your board and bios are up to date enough for a dual core proc. They probably are. You will find the Opty to be a pretty darn good proc. I have a 175 on water OCed to 2.65. My mobo is older and I know for a fact that is what is holding back my chip to only 2.65

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well, i was just giving an example with ATI, ATI Cards smoked Nvidia before the 7600 Series cards. So I'm just saying. Well yes, you will a major jump from 3200+ to FX-60 levels especially applications and your Set for The future With Dual GPU and Dual-Core.

Is your son's 3200 a single core? The Opty is a Dual Core proc as well. Just make sure that your board and bios are up to date enough for a dual core proc. They probably are. You will find the Opty to be a pretty darn good proc. I have a 175 on water OCed to 2.65. My mobo is older and I know for a fact that is what is holding back my chip to only 2.65

Yes, single core, on an Asrock agp/pcie dual board.

Now he'll have opty and jump from old ati 9700 to NV 7950 gt oc.

Thank you both! I'm pretty sure the opty will be a noticible improvement.

My son's 3200+ runs at 2.3 on water. Assuming the opty oc's well how much faster should his system run? Thanks! I know I could search this but I need to act fast.
What kind of board and ram are you using? You should have managed more than 2.3 with a 3200+ with water cooling. I managed 2.5 with an aftermarket cooler with a 3000+ on budget equipment. Anyway back to your question. Without a doubt an overclocked 170 will be a great deal faster than that 3200+.

Yea, the 2.3 was a bit of a lame OC. Might have been 2350, can't recall. Asrock board and fairly inexpensive Bigwater cooler. Sure hope the opty does well on it. What would be a good mobo to up to now that he no longer needs the AGP on the Asrock?

jelly1228

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Go for a DFI! That opty will like to be overclocked on an ultra-d mobo. Plus you have a dual gpu card so there is no need for sli. What kind of memory do you have?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I Agree, the DFI over clocks to 2.9Ghz while the ASrock boards are infamous of almost no overclocking potential, the most I've seen it clocked to was 2.45-2.5Ghz on Asrock but very unstable. I would recommend a DFI board not the Asrock to reach 2.7-2.8Ghz, because it wouldn't reach that level with any stability at all.

update for those who helped us decide:

The Opteron actually likes the Asrock it seems. 2850 and stable after several hours of Oblivian - still in low to mid 40's. No post over 3g. But around 2.8 was my hope and it seems we got it! This is on water BTW. With the the new vid card and the opty my son can crank up all the settings in Oblivian and he's happy as a PIS! Thanks. Great advice!

robreto

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
WOW, that is a good board to hit that speed! I have an opty 165 running at 2.6 on a DFI board. I hit 2.8GHz, but slowed down a bit to run on stock voltages.

PixelPimP

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
That's because the asrock doesn't suck as much as people who
don't own one thinks.I was a skeptic till i bought one.My 3700
sandy likes it @2.6 with just a volcano11.I will go higher with
a real HSF. It's best to listen to the people who actually own
the hardware in question.Too many people pass judgement
based on second hand info and heresay.
Hope your son enjoys the upgrade!

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
My son's 3200+ runs at 2.3 on water. Assuming the opty oc's well how much faster should his system run? Thanks! I know I could search this but I need to act fast.
WOOOOW! Your son't 3200+ is really a black sheep! My 3000+ gets to 2.3GHz on stock cooler without rising Vcore, but I have a terrible mombo sending me only to 2.0G; what about an exchange :?: :!: :D
The Opteron actually likes the Asrock it seems. 2850 and stable after several hours of Oblivian - still in low to mid 40's. No post over 3g. But around 2.8 was my hope and it seems we got it! This is on water BTW. With the the new vid card and the opty my son can crank up all the settings in Oblivian and he's happy as a PIS! Thanks. Great advice!
Enjoy the Opty; they're real beasts, the best K8s ever, real beauties.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

The 170 should run at 2.9GHz on water, so you will become rather jealous depending upon what you have.

WOOOOW! Your son't 3200+ is really a black sheep! My 3000+ gets to 2.3GHz on stock cooler without rising Vcore, but I have a terrible mombo sending me only to 2.0G; what about an exchange :?: :!: :D
Enjoy the Opty; they're real beasts, the best K8s ever, real beauties.

I was wrong about the 2.3 on the 3200+ it was actually up around 2.45 and he wasn't pushing the voltage - he had a bunch of air in his water too which we fixed - he wasn't too happy I dissed his chip on this board either!

The 170 should run at 2.9GHz on water, so you will become rather jealous depending upon what you have.

I was jealous for a couple days, I still had a 2500+ m (at 2.3) - then my c2d system came in with my 8800gts :D

but then I fried the mobo somehow :(

waiting for RMA

His opty and asrock make a killer rig for the $! I kinda wish I just went that route,

CompuTronix

Intel Master
My previous rig was an Opty 170 @ 3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500, MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, 2Gb Corsair TWINX PC3500LL (Low Latency) DDR 438 @ 2-3-2-6. Best AMD processor I ever had. I can't offer enough praise to the Opty 170. Absolutely amazing CPU! Worth the $190.00? Without question!!! :D

My previous rig was an Opty 170 @ 3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500, MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, 2Gb Corsair TWINX PC3500LL (Low Latency) DDR 438 @ 2-3-2-6. Best AMD processor I ever had. I can't offer enough praise to the Opty 170. Absolutely amazing CPU! Worth the $190.00? Without question!!! :D

3 gig! That's a good clock. I see you have a c2d at 3.7, generally, how do thwe two systems compare - big dif moving up to the c2d?

ETA I see you are running raid 0 with 2 raptors. How's that working out for you? And is that the Matrix raid the p5bd can do? If so what is that exactly?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
3 gig! That's a good clock. I see you have a c2d at 3.7, generally, how do thwe two systems compare - big dif moving up to the c2d?

Almost a day and night difference in raw CPU horsepower. My rig is for Flight Simulator X, which is very heavily CPU bound, so I need all I can get. The OC'd C2D increased my FPS over 50% from my OC'd Opty 170.

ETA I see you are running raid 0 with 2 raptors. How's that working out for you?

The Raptor 150's are striped on the Intel RAID controller, as it's about 25% faster than the other two RAID controllers on the P5W DH. There's much controversy regarding RAID0, but according to my benchmarks, timing tests, and observations, it's the fastest storage solution I've had yet, without going totally overboard on SCSI Ultra 320 (Ultra Expensive) 15K RPM drives.

Considering that hard drives are by far the slowest critical subsystem in today's fast computers, it is my opinion that small margins of performance increases in storage subsystems, make a huge difference in overall system performance. So how's it working out? Excellent!!!

And is that the Matrix raid the p5bd can do? If so what is that exactly?

I can't speak to the P5B 965 chipset features, but I'm not using the Matrix RAID feature on my P5W DH. I'm simply running a basic RAID0 striped set on the Intel RAID controller.

Hope this helps. Enjoy! :D

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What model Asrock?

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX

Has both PCIe and AGP slots.

YES! The cheap mofo's board of choice! I got mine when I didn't want to replace my Radeon 9800 pro agp card but wanted athlon 64 3200+. OC's nicely, too. Got a great price on the board at the time.