Abit IS7-E northbridge fan and heatsink.

playboyman007

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Currently I am using a Abit IS7-E mobo which I will give to my sister soon. The mobo fan is very annoying and is in need of a replacement. I looked at newegg and tigerdirect for replacements, but found a limited amount of choices. Are all aftermarket northbridge fan and heatsink universal; meaning it will be compatible with any motherboard or do I have to look deeper for a specific one? And also are there any suggestions out there?

iono if my specs will help but here it is:
p4 2.4ghz c
512 mb ram
fx5200
420 watts psu
and the mobo is Abit IS7-E (a discontinued product)
...yeah its old

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I used to have an AI7, gave it to my brother a few years back. It had the little orb looking hsf on the northbridge. I was using a big cooler on my video card and had to take the fan off the northbridge and cut down the fins. It's still running to this day like that.
Are all aftermarket northbridge fan and heatsink universal
Some are. Some can only be mounted by bolts/push pins. All Intel boards I believe use the hooks. This Zalman sink should work nicely though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118014

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I used to have an AI7, gave it to my brother a few years back. It had the little orb looking hsf on the northbridge. I was using a big cooler on my video card and had to take the fan off the northbridge and cut down the fins. It's still running to this day like that.
Are all aftermarket northbridge fan and heatsink universal
Some are. Some can only be mounted by bolts/push pins. All Intel boards I believe use the hooks. This Zalman sink should work nicely though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118014

OR the OP can try the Zalman "crystal orb",it should fit...???

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
OR the OP can try the Zalman "crystal orb",it should fit...???
Do you mean Thermaltake's vga orb? I don't know that Zalman has one. The 865 chipset was a pretty cool running one. If I'm not doing any serious OCing (which doesn't sound like it in this case) I'll always go for the passive solution instead of something with a fan. Specially those chipset fans, noisy little buggers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, most universal coolers apparently won't work. It appears your cooler uses four hooks. The clip from your cooler might fit some "generic" rectangular CPU coolers from the Pentium-1 days, the easiest way to find out is to check with a "junk shop".

If you send me the clip, I'll size it up to a few old sinks I have laying around and "give" you the sink for shipping cost. But you'll still need a fan, as my old sinks have worn out fans.

Luckily, rectangular sinks use standard 40mm and 50mm fans that you can buy at most computer component centers, even Radio Shack.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Crashman-
Is the spacing different with 4 hooks as compared to 2? It's been a while since I have been able to look at my old board up close, so I wasn't sure if there was a difference. I assumed that only 2 hooks were necessary.

playboyman007

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like the standard 40mm fan, if it ever breaks again you can just buy a standard fan and leave the sink on. That's assuming the sink fits correctly.

But anyway, yeh standard fans are nice. 40mm fans were really popular for 486-sized processors such as AMD's 5x86 line, and readily available just able everywhere.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Currently I am using a Abit IS7-E mobo which I will give to my sister soon. The mobo fan is very annoying and is in need of a replacement. I looked at newegg and tigerdirect for replacements, but found a limited amount of choices. Are all aftermarket northbridge fan and heatsink universal; meaning it will be compatible with any motherboard or do I have to look deeper for a specific one? And also are there any suggestions out there?

iono if my specs will help but here it is:
p4 2.4ghz c
512 mb ram
fx5200
420 watts psu
and the mobo is Abit IS7-E (a discontinued product)
...yeah its old
I use this passive HS on my P4C800E-Deluxe, which uses the 4 hooks. I have an XP120/120mm fan cooling my CPU, and the spillover air cools the chipset HS very nicely. And it's cheap as hell. GL :)

Unfortunately, it's out of stock here, but you should be able to find on on the net.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3862/vid-17/Zalman_ZMNB47J_Motherboard_Northbridge_Chipset_Heatsink.html?tl=g40c16s229