User Profiles and Home Folders

Hello All,

We are running Windows 2000 AD with roaming profiles. Is there any way to
set the security permissions on the User Profiles and Home Folders so that
only Administrators, System, and %username% have access to them without
having to go to all 400 folders and configure them indiviually?

Thanks
Kenneth

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:20:36 -0500, "Kenneth Bryant" <kenneth_bryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>We are running Windows 2000 AD with roaming profiles. Is there any way to
>set the security permissions on the User Profiles and Home Folders so that
>only Administrators, System, and %username% have access to them without
>having to go to all 400 folders and configure them indiviually?
>
>Thanks
>Kenneth

See tip 3471 and links in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

funny enough I just wrote a script to do this for a situation I ran into.
You can get the script here:

http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=1046&ScriptType=vbscript

hope this helps.

Nick Staff

"Kenneth Bryant" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> We are running Windows 2000 AD with roaming profiles. Is there any way to
> set the security permissions on the User Profiles and Home Folders so that
> only Administrators, System, and %username% have access to them without
> having to go to all 400 folders and configure them indiviually?
>
> Thanks
> Kenneth

Thank you. I will try this.

"Nick Staff" <nick.staff@comcast.net> wrote in message
> funny enough I just wrote a script to do this for a situation I ran into.
> You can get the script here:

http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=1046&ScriptType=vbscript

> hope this helps.
>
> Nick Staff
>
> "Kenneth Bryant" wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > We are running Windows 2000 AD with roaming profiles. Is there any way
> > set the security permissions on the User Profiles and Home Folders so
that
> > only Administrators, System, and %username% have access to them without
> > having to go to all 400 folders and configure them indiviually?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kenneth

Kenneth-

I'm posting my reply to your email here in case anyone is following the
thread...

I would assume so - the script doesn't do anything home folder specific, and
I've used it on non home folders. Provided the account name is part of the
folder name it should work (of course all the usual warnings, etc.).

I don't know if you noticed where the script was posted I commented that on
2 (that I know of) out of 2,000 home folders, the users permission was not
added (I thin if the script can't find the name in AD it will continue
thereby leaving that account without access to their files. As I say though
this was out of 2,000 home folders (and about 500,000 sub folders/files).

also please be aware that this clears inheritance and sets the security on
each subfolder/file (you can change this in the bottom of the script where it
specifies the command line to launch xcacls.

Personally I'd be nervous using any tool for such a large scale automated
operation (I was certainly nervous running the script), but nerves aside,
provided testing returns good results, I'd use it if I were in your shoes
(based on what I know of your situation.

Please feel free to contact me with any more questions.

Nick Staff

"Kenneth Bryant" wrote:

> Thank you. I will try this.
>

> "Nick Staff" <nick.staff@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > funny enough I just wrote a script to do this for a situation I ran into.
> > You can get the script here:
> >

> http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=1046&ScriptType=vbscript
> >
> > hope this helps.
> >
> > Nick Staff
> >
> > "Kenneth Bryant" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > We are running Windows 2000 AD with roaming profiles. Is there any way
> > > set the security permissions on the User Profiles and Home Folders so
> that
> > > only Administrators, System, and %username% have access to them without
> > > having to go to all 400 folders and configure them indiviually?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Kenneth

TRENDING THREADS