Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New computer won't go online

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 6, 2006 6:27:00 PM

I'm upgrading from an Athlon XP 1700 to an Opteron 165 system. I've built it myself and everything seems to run correctly, except that I can't access the Internet.

I have a modem and use dial-up. The modem dials out and connects to my ISP. My firewall records that packets are being passed. Packets are also being received (sometimes). Nothing indicates that my browser or email client is being blocked, yet my email client cannot download my mail and I cannot even reach my home page with my browser.

From the CLI, I can SOMETIMES successfully ping www.google.com. Other times I get a site cannot be resolved error. If I ping the IP address, again it sometimes works and sometimes I get the server cannot be found error.

I have done a clean install of WinXP sp1 (I've also tried it after upgrading to sp2) on a fresh HDD and have installed the nForce4 motherboard drivers and modem driver.

Details:
Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo
AMD Opteron 165
2x 1GB A-Data DDR400 in dual-channel mode
X1600XT video card
Audigy2 ZS sound card
Lucent/Agere chipset modem
250 GB SATA2 HDD
The firewall I'm using is Filseclab, but I get the same symptoms if I disable it and use the WinXP firewall.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. :) 

More about : computer online

June 6, 2006 6:53:00 PM

Look at your "Modem Port Status - advanced, and see if you are getting a valid IP, Gate and DNS.

It should show connected with all the vitals.

Then if nothing is be received, more than likely your Firewall is blocking all communications. You will need to tell it which programs are allowed to use the internet connection.
June 7, 2006 3:58:47 PM

IPCONFIG displays valid IP, Gate, & DNS values when the connection is active.

I wondered about the firewall, however when I disabled FILSECLAB and switched to Windows Firewall (which shouldn't block anything that's been requested) I still had the same problem.

I finally discovered what the problem was by closely examining the firewall details and connection details. I discovered that data was freely flowing outbound, but inbound I was getting nothing but errors. The firewall wasn't blocking any inbound packets - the packets simply weren't being received intelligibly.

I swapped out my 5-year-old Agere chipset modem for an old Conexant chipset modem I had laying around and I'm back in business, at significantly faster speeds I might add (50.2kbs vs 36.0 or 37.2 kbs).

Thanks for the help, and I hope my experience can help someone else in the future.
Related resources
June 7, 2006 4:11:01 PM

Glad to see you got it working.

Firewall's are the cause of 90% of the problems when it comes to the internet.

I'm have a 6 meg/384k service. I don't think I could ever go back to dial-up.
June 8, 2006 10:06:03 PM

Believe me, I would love to have broadband at home! We have 5 Mbs/1.5Mbs at work and it's VERY nice, but I'm cheap. I'm willing to pay $20/mo for 1.5Mbs/384Kbs, but nobody in my area is willing to offer it for that price. :roll:

Until it finally drops low enough I'll content myself with dial-up.... At least I have very few lag problems.
June 8, 2006 10:20:33 PM

Verizion has added FOI into my neighborhood, 5/2mbps. It has a higher uplink which would come in handy. But it's allmost the same price as am paying now, $5.00 different. Don't want to pat for the installation cost. But they require you to use their router (Dlink), with special firmware so they can snoop. On another forum, a user searched for connected devices on his lan and their IP showed up. It was also a private IP in the 10. range. Only showed up with a Netgear FVS538 router.
!