How to edit a registry db residing other than the one the ..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 13, 2005 12:34:22 AM

I have cloned my system onto a different disk, however I made the
mistake to assign a letter to the cloned disk and now when I try to
boot from the clone it cannot create the page file and it logs me
right out without giving me the channce to fix it.
Since the original drive boots fine, is there a way to edit the
registry that is on the cloned disk by using regedit/regedt32 if I
install both drives in the system?

TIA
bill

More about : edit registry residing

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:34:23 AM

Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive.
Then navigate to the location of the hive you want to edit/read. Give it
some tempname (doesn't matter what). Then when your done, move the cursor
back to tempname, then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

You'll find them in
%windir%\system32\config

the current_user hive is in
%userprofile%\ntuser.dat

The last reg backup files in
%windir%\repair\RegBack

and the original as-installed files in
%windir%\repair

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"William" wrote:
|I have cloned my system onto a different disk, however I made the
| mistake to assign a letter to the cloned disk and now when I try to
| boot from the clone it cannot create the page file and it logs me
| right out without giving me the channce to fix it.
| Since the original drive boots fine, is there a way to edit the
| registry that is on the cloned disk by using regedit/regedt32 if I
| install both drives in the system?
|
| TIA
| bill
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:21:21 AM

at Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:34:22 GMT in <jlbo51p7ijrbv2i09nqj911i3sodbcp5su@
4ax.com>, sorry@no.spm (William) wrote :

>I have cloned my system onto a different disk...
>... is there a way to edit the
>registry that is on the cloned disk by using regedit/regedt32...
>
>TIA
>bill

See my solution under "Copying system to new drive - pagefile problem".
It's my reply to Pegasus(MVP) after I originally ran into the same problem
you did. I pretty much walk through the procedure.

--
Alex Rast
ad.rast.7@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com