Help with Floppy Drive Install on AW9D-Max

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Okay, so I got a floppy drive from the Egg in order to install the intel chipset drivers when I now have to go back and reinstall the whole os (see other posts, recently for why).

I physically hooked up the floppy drive (but not in the actual drive bay, it won't be permanent) with the abit supplied round cable and the power light comes on. Its an NEC 1.44 3.5" drive (model fd1231H-302).

I go into BIOS and make sure its set up correctly: In standard CMOS settings, I have drive A set to 1.44M, 3.5 in. Drive B disabled and Floppy 3 mode support disabled. In advanced BIOS features I did not enable Boot Up Floppy seek, I left it disabled. Or at least at first.

So i go thru the windows xp install F6 thing and then hit S for floppy drive install and it says insert disk and I do ... and ... nothing. It waits and waits and waits. Then it says insert disk all over again as if nothing happened. The activity light on the floppy drive doesn't change and I hear no noise/vibration fro the drive. I tried this several times with 2 different floppies (one I made today from Abit website, the other is the original floppy supplied by ABit with the mobo).

So, I try changing the Advanced BIOS features to enable Boot Up Floppy Seek this time, since the manual says this auto tests for floppy drives, and upon boot is gives an error message for Floopy not pass test (40). Not sure what this means, but I'm guessing herein lies my problem? But what?

Is it that my floppy drive is DOA? or that the mobo is doing something bad? or that the BIOS is set incorrectly? Could it be that the drive is somehow designated B drive and not A (I have only one installed, and used the abit cable to the FDC1 connector, so don't think this is it, but who knows?

any help appreciated, getting aggravated I can't get even a floppy to work.

curt j.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
I physically hooked up the floppy drive (but not in the actual drive bay, it won't be permanent) with the abit supplied round cable and the power light comes on.
are you sure that you have the cable the right way round?
Im my experience it's an activity light not power & it should only come on during access.
Constantly on tends to be the cable incorrectly connected.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
agreed, flip the floppy cable. some drives (and cables) allow you to install it upside down. it wont break it, but it wont work either. :D

TRENDING THREADS