Sign in with
Your question

Will DDR1 Ram work with a new MOBO?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 22, 2006 1:25:19 AM

Will DDR Ram work with a new MOBO?

I'm looking at Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 in particular but in general, am I typically going to need new ram seeing as how DDR2 is the standard now?

More about : ddr1 ram work mobo

December 22, 2006 2:34:08 AM

DDR RAM = 184 pins
DDR2 RAM = 240 pins

I'll be very interested if you manage to use your DDR RAM with the new motherboard.
December 22, 2006 2:58:36 AM

Quote:
DDR RAM = 184 pins
DDR2 RAM = 240 pins

I'll be very interested if you manage to use your DDR RAM with the new motherboard.

That's pretty much telling him to try it. lol

Get new ram it wont work.
Related resources
December 22, 2006 7:40:02 AM

Well if he succeeds, then he's a one strong fella ))
December 22, 2006 8:13:18 AM

He would be strong indeed, but it still wouldn't work. You'd most likely end up with a broken mobo along with broken RAM, if you tried to force DDR1 into a DDR2 slot, Phats.
December 22, 2006 8:19:25 AM

reminds me of that old joke I heard about police academy candidates, and the aptitude/intelligence test that required them to match a sphere, a pyramid, and a cube with corresponding holes. The results divided the group into the smart ones, and the strong ones. heh.
Also remember seeing a pic of a MoBo with holes drilled in it (right thru circuits in some places), supposedly the guy tried to install a new heatsink which was not meant for that particular socket. Brought it back to the store, full of genuine surprise - "my computer won't start". oh boy.
December 22, 2006 8:30:27 AM

...and I wonder which group graduated the Academy.

[/joke]

We mustn't forget all the AGP-PCIe forced conversions, or AGP-PCI, PCIe-PCI, PCI-PCIe... the list goes on. People see an expansion slot and assume that all cards are compatible with all slots, even if you have to cut the card to fit it in. :lol: 
December 22, 2006 8:33:15 AM

ASRock does boards with ddr1 + ddr2 slots for C2D as well as AGP + PCI-E
December 22, 2006 8:36:37 AM

good point. I saw a review of such a board earlier this year. Maybe I'll use it for a slow transition to C2D from athlon64. Don't wanna throw out my pc3200 right now, when ddr2 is especially expensive for some reason.
December 22, 2006 3:30:00 PM

True, but you still can't fit DDR into DDR2 slots. Nor, for that matter, can you use DDR and DDR2 simultaneously.
December 24, 2006 7:30:40 PM

Thanks for the replys, that settles it. First I'll cram my old ram into a new MOBO, then I'll let you guys know how much it costs me in replacement parts :) 

I just want a new video card but will have to end up getting MOBO, RAM, Video card.. Damn!

Hey on this note, will a Pentium 4c cpu work with a new Core Duo capable MOBO?

Probably have to buy a new CPU too, damn computers!
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2006 7:57:00 PM

Why disable your old system, buy a slow motherboard, and cripple a new shiny cpu? Sell or give away the old and build new doing it right.
!