Limited Virutal Memory

KWH

I have PC that is running Windows 2000 Professional, when this PC boots up it
gives the message “Limited Virtual Memory, your system has no paging file or
the paging file is to small�. It then tells you how to change the paging
file. I did it by right my computer, click properties, then click on advanced
then, performance tab and the change the virtual memory. Then I reboot the
PC, but it keeps coming back with the same message. It keeps changing the
total paging file size for all devices back to 20. I tried to change the
virtual memory again and once I rebooted it did the very same thing. I am
unsure what to do. --
kwh

Usually occurs when the "Everyone" group permissions are removed from the
%systemdrive% Make sure that the System account (NT Authority) has full
control of the %systemdrive% and or the drive you're trying to put the
pagefile on. My Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions

The system account (nt authority) is the operating system's account and
needs to have full control of the drive(s) the pagefile exists on. The
system account is included in the "Everyone" group.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kwh" wrote:
|I have PC that is running Windows 2000 Professional, when this PC boots up
it
| gives the message "Limited Virtual Memory, your system has no paging file
or
| the paging file is to small". It then tells you how to change the paging
| file. I did it by right my computer, click properties, then click on
| then, performance tab and the change the virtual memory. Then I reboot
the
| PC, but it keeps coming back with the same message. It keeps changing the
| total paging file size for all devices back to 20. I tried to change the
| virtual memory again and once I rebooted it did the very same thing. I am
| unsure what to do. --
| kwh

What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from there?

Thank you,

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Usually occurs when the "Everyone" group permissions are removed from the
> %systemdrive% Make sure that the System account (NT Authority) has full
> control of the %systemdrive% and or the drive you're trying to put the
> pagefile on. My Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions
>
> The system account (nt authority) is the operating system's account and
> needs to have full control of the drive(s) the pagefile exists on. The
> system account is included in the "Everyone" group.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "kwh" wrote:
> |I have PC that is running Windows 2000 Professional, when this PC boots up
> it
> | gives the message "Limited Virtual Memory, your system has no paging file
> or
> | the paging file is to small". It then tells you how to change the paging
> | file. I did it by right my computer, click properties, then click on
> | then, performance tab and the change the virtual memory. Then I reboot
> the
> | PC, but it keeps coming back with the same message. It keeps changing the
> | total paging file size for all devices back to 20. I tried to change the
> | virtual memory again and once I rebooted it did the very same thing. I am
> | unsure what to do. --
> | kwh

Try booting into safe mode.

Mike.

"BInc" <btzinc(removethis)@att.net> wrote in message
> What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from there?
>
> Thank you,
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > Usually occurs when the "Everyone" group permissions are removed from
the
> > %systemdrive% Make sure that the System account (NT Authority) has full
> > control of the %systemdrive% and or the drive you're trying to put the
> > pagefile on. My Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions
> >
> > The system account (nt authority) is the operating system's account and
> > needs to have full control of the drive(s) the pagefile exists on. The
> > system account is included in the "Everyone" group.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "kwh" wrote:
> > |I have PC that is running Windows 2000 Professional, when this PC boots
up
> > it
> > | gives the message "Limited Virtual Memory, your system has no paging
file
> > or
> > | the paging file is to small". It then tells you how to change the
paging
> > | file. I did it by right my computer, click properties, then click on
> > | then, performance tab and the change the virtual memory. Then I
reboot
> > the
> > | PC, but it keeps coming back with the same message. It keeps changing
the
> > | total paging file size for all devices back to 20. I tried to change
the
> > | virtual memory again and once I rebooted it did the very same thing. I
am
> > | unsure what to do. --
> > | kwh

I figured out how to boot in safe mode, however, it renders the same result:
I can't get past the log on page. Any suggestions?

Thanks
BInc

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> Try booting into safe mode.
>
> Mike.
>
> "BInc" <btzinc(removethis)@att.net> wrote in message
> > What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from there?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> >
> > > Usually occurs when the "Everyone" group permissions are removed from
> the
> > > %systemdrive% Make sure that the System account (NT Authority) has full
> > > control of the %systemdrive% and or the drive you're trying to put the
> > > pagefile on. My Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions
> > >
> > > The system account (nt authority) is the operating system's account and
> > > needs to have full control of the drive(s) the pagefile exists on. The
> > > system account is included in the "Everyone" group.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> up
> > > it
> file
> > > or
> paging
> reboot
> > > the
> the
> the
> am

Okay. How do you do that?
Thanks

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> Try booting into safe mode.
>
> Mike.
>
> "BInc" <btzinc(removethis)@att.net> wrote in message
> > What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from there?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> >
> > > Usually occurs when the "Everyone" group permissions are removed from
> the
> > > %systemdrive% Make sure that the System account (NT Authority) has full
> > > control of the %systemdrive% and or the drive you're trying to put the
> > > pagefile on. My Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions
> > >
> > > The system account (nt authority) is the operating system's account and
> > > needs to have full control of the drive(s) the pagefile exists on. The
> > > system account is included in the "Everyone" group.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> up
> > > it
> file
> > > or
> paging
> reboot
> > > the
> the
> the
> am

The only fixes for a non-networked pc that I know of is to reset the drive
permissions from a parallel install, or possibly by temp installing the
drive in another NT machine and resetting permissions, else try an in-place
upgrade.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Or

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q249321

--

"BInc" wrote:
| What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from there?
|
| Thank you,

DC

Have you tried booting to your BIOS, changing first boot device to CD
and doing a Repair Install?

don

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> Try booting into safe mode.
>
> Mike.
>
> "BInc" <btzinc(removethis)@att.net> wrote in message
> > What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from
there?

> > Thank you,
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> >
> > > Usually occurs when the "Everyone" group permissions are removed
from
> the
> > > %systemdrive% Make sure that the System account (NT Authority) has
full
> > > control of the %systemdrive% and or the drive you're trying to put
the
> > > pagefile on. My
Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions

> > > The system account (nt authority) is the operating system's
account and
> > > needs to have full control of the drive(s) the pagefile exists on.
The
> > > system account is included in the "Everyone" group.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> up
> > > it
> file
> > > or
> paging
> reboot
> > > the
> the
> the
> am

I don't know how to do that.

"dc" wrote:

> Have you tried booting to your BIOS, changing first boot device to CD
> and doing a Repair Install?
>
> don
>
> "BInc" <btzinc(removethis)@att.net> wrote in message
> I figured out how to boot in safe mode, however, it renders the same
> result:
> I can't get past the log on page. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> BInc
>
> "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>
> > Try booting into safe mode.
> >
> > Mike.
> >
> > "BInc" <btzinc(removethis)@att.net> wrote in message
> > > What if you can't even get past the log on? How do you go on from
> there?
> > >
> > > Thank you,

> from
> > the
> full
> the
> Computer|Drive|File|Properties|Security|Permissions

> account and
> The

> boots
> > up
> paging
> > file
> the
> > paging
> click on
> > reboot
> changing
> > the
> change
> > the
> thing. I
> > am

It wouldn't work anyway.

--

"Dave Patrick" schreef:

> The only fixes for a non-networked pc that I know of is to reset the drive
> permissions from a parallel install, or possibly by temp installing the
> drive in another NT machine and resetting permissions, else try an in-place
> upgrade.

Hello Dave,

I've the same problem with the limited virtual memory. It all started with a
very slow computer, so I did a system repair. After this I was not able to
log on to the system, neither in normal mode or safe mode.

I did a extra installation in a WINTEMP directory, and this runs fine. But
my question is - how can I change the pagefile settings of the original
system. I'm on the edge of a re-installation, but this system runs AutoCAD,
and it is a big job to reinstall this application. So if there is a way to
repair the original system it would be great!

There is only one drive (C:), so a change of driveletter is not possible
(or??). And how can I change the rights of the pagefile.sys?

Any help would be appriciated!

Regards,

Arie Vet

arie.vet(at)gmail.com