prompt commands

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hello people. Could someone please tell me how to get all
the networking commands from command prompt (e.g)arp,
netstat e.t.c.). Which command would i use to get the ip
addresses and DNS names of all tthe computers on my
network? Thank you.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

The command ipconfig shows you the information about ip and dns.

Type help in command prompt, it should give you a list of all commands

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:25:45 -0700, "toyin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello people. Could someone please tell me how to get all
>the networking commands from command prompt (e.g)arp,
>netstat e.t.c.). Which command would i use to get the ip
>addresses and DNS names of all tthe computers on my
>network? Thank you.

Make sure you use CMD.EXE and NOT command.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

padman

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Networking Tools

Ping.exe : The BIG one. This is probably one of the most used tools for
TCP/IP. Ping sends ICMP Echo Requests to verify that TCP/IP is configured
correctly and that a remote TCP/IP system is available. Ping is very
customizable through switches. This should be your first stop during times of
networking problems. Using it to test network response time is but one of
it's many functions.
Arp.exe : allows you to view and modify the ARP (Address Resolution
Protocol) cache on the interface of the local computer to detect invalid
entries.
Nslookup.exe : Check records, domain host aliases, domain host services, and
operating system information by querying Internet domain name servers. When
you start Nslookup, it shows the host name and IP address of the DNS server
that is configured for the local system, and then display a command prompt
for further queries. If you type a question mark (?), Nslookup shows all
available commands. You can exit the program by typing exit. To look up a
host's IP address using DNS, type the host name and press Enter. Nslookup
defaults to using the DNS server configured for the computer on which it is
running, but you can focus it on a different DNS server by typing server
(where is the host name of the server you want to use for future lookups).
Once another server is specified, anything entered after that point is
interpreted as a host name.
Hostname.exe : Displays the hostname of the computer.
Ipconfig.exe : Displays current TCP/IP network configuration values. You can
update or release DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) allocated
leases, and display register, or flush DNS (Domain Name System) names. Output
can be redirected to a file if desired.
Nbtstat.exe : Check the state of current Netbios over TCP/IP connections,
update the NETBIOS name cache, and determine the registered names and scope
ID. Nbtstat is designed to help troubleshoot NetBIOS name resolution
problems. When a network is working ok, NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) resolves
NetBIOS names to IP addresses. It does this through several options for
NetBIOS name resolution, including local cache lookup, WINS server query,
broadcast, LMHOSTS lookup, Hosts lookup, and DNS server query.
Netstat.exe : Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP connections.
Very cool utility. Try running it while connected to the net.
Pathping.exe : Trace a path to a remote system and report packet losses at
each router along the way. Pathping combines features of Tracert and ping.
Route.exe : Display the IP routing table, and add or delete IP routes.
Tracert: Trace a path to a remote system. This tool gives you the number of
hops a packet must make to get there, and the IP address of each hop. It does
this for a maximum of 30 hops. This tool is very useful for seeing where a
problem with a slow response time may lie.
NetDiag.exe : a diagnostic tool that helps isolate networking and
connectivity problems by performing a series of tests to determine the state
your network client and whether it is functional. Using the /l switch will
output results to netdiag.log as the results can be lengthy. This tool will
likely not be installed on your system by default. What you must do is go
into your Windows 2000 CD in the support/tools directory. Run the setup file
there for full access to the Windows 2000 Support Tools. I had problems with
getting this program running due to fatal errors from it, but see how you
make out. I'll keeps troubleshooting it to see what I can do.
Non Networking Tools

/? switch displays options on these utilities as well.

Sfc.exe : System File Checker. This utility scans protected system files and
replaces files overwritten with the correct system files provided by
Microsoft. This could prove to be an invaluable tool for repairing your
system after some of those search and replace programs that we all know so
well get through with your system files.
Verifier.exe : Driver Verifier. This utility runs a series of checks in the
Windows 2000 Kernel to expose errors in kernel-mode drivers. It can gather
statistics from the kernel, which are displayed by the GUI or logged in a
file. Running verifier with no command line switches starts Driver Verifier
Manager, which is in a GUI interface.
Drivers.exe : Lists all drivers currently running on a system from the
%SystemRoot%System32drivers folder. You can use this tool to identify a
driver that may be causing problems due to corruption or because it is
missing, not loaded, or outdated.
By no means are these the complete set of tools. However, these should
nicely cover the basics and get or keep you running